IGNORED

All things transfer and rumour related

Guest Alex C

Another chapter in the ridiculously overpriced British players saga:

Fulham have signed Ross McCormack for £11m

27 years old and have never played above Championship or SPL level. He might be good player, capable of scoring goals, but there's no way he's worth that much.

Edited by Ceerial
  • 1 year later...
  • Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Annoyed that Man Utd has signed Schneiderlin, would have been the perfect Arsenal signing.

Coquelin deserves a place after his great last season, but when a "good" player in the DM position gives so much improvement to the team, I can only imagine how much improvement an world-class player like Schneiderlin would have been.

Now I just hope Lacazette rumour has any weight to it. Probably not an improvement on Giroud in short sight, but it would be in a season or two

Edited by Npoess

Yes, we've had a good transfer window - Depay, Schweinsteiger, Scheniderlin all fantastic. This iTalian right-back I don't know much about, but at least it will free up Smalling/Jones to play more centrally. If Rafael can stay uninjured (lol), we might have two actual right-backs playing in that position.

You've no chance in the league next season unless you sign at least one top striker, Rooney might still have a 20 goal season in him, but I wouldn't bet my house on it (as it stands you'll still be battling for 4th with us - Liverpool - again, not sure if Spurs have strengthen enough to keep pace). Schweinsteiger's well past his best, and spends most of the season injured these days, but might still be a useful signing in a few key games. Schneiderlin is great though, and Depay looks quite good.

Schweinsteiger is only 30, so hardly well past is best. The biggest problem will be keeping him motivated - he's won everything.

Agree we need another striker - but hopefully Rooney will be able to focus solely on being a striker, and not have to bother with the midfield shit that he's had to do for the past 4-5 seasons. We've been linked with both Cavani and Pedro, I'd be happy with either, though I think Cavani would be more suited to the PL.

We'll be much stronger this season - team had really started coming together under LVG's philosophy in the second half of last season.

Schweinsteiger is only 30, so hardly well past is best. The biggest problem will be keeping him motivated - he's won everything.

Agree we need another striker - but hopefully Rooney will be able to focus solely on being a striker, and not have to bother with the midfield shit that he's had to do for the past 4-5 seasons. We've been linked with both Cavani and Pedro, I'd be happy with either, though I think Cavani would be more suited to the PL.

We'll be much stronger this season - team had really started coming together under LVG's philosophy in the second half of last season.

He's definitely past his best, most footballers peak between 26-28, and he's been heavily injured for the last four seasons. It's possible he'll have an indian summer next season, but it would be a surprise.

I'd have thought Pedro would be far better for a Van Gaal team actually, great pace and technique, and top finishing ability with either foot, Cavani is a bit of a flat track bully (I don't think I've ever seen him have a good game, but he always seems to have decent goalscoring figures, so presumably he scores the goals against the shit teams when I'm not watching), so the high tempo pressing game in England wouldn't suit him. Pedro was a nailed on certainty to join Chelsea a few weeks ago though, think everyone's waiting to see what happens in the Barca presidential election before any more transfer activity there.

Don't agree you started coming together in the 2nd half of the season either, we were looking favourites to snatch 4th spot until we fell apart towards the end, but your performances weren't much better after that either, you fairly limped home in the end. You had that one spell where you beat us, Spurs and City, but after that you went back to being decidedly average again.

First half of the season we went W9-D6-L3, second half of the season we went W10-D4-L5, so results wise not much difference, but the way we played was a lot better. Even our loss to Chelsea we played some of the best football of the season, just couldn't finish. And of course they're set up to defend and counter.

Hopefully we get rid of Di Maria, maybe Hernandez can find some of his early magic. I like Cavani as he's bigger and stronger, and works harder than Pedro. As I said, I'd be happy with either.

A player of Schweinsteiger's ability is not well past his prime at 30, sorry, but he's still as influential as ever in the midfield. Yes, his injuries are sometimes worrisome, but with proper rotation and hopefully the physio staff being a little better this season (remember all the injuries first half of last season?) he'll be a great signing for us.

Schweinstiger is one of my favorite players, but this feels like one of those transfers where the buying club ends up funding a transfer for the player they should have bought in the first place (Vidal). Seeing either of those players stumble would test my faith though.

For sheer galvanizing force of focus & effect, nothing can top the Costa, Fabregas & Matic transfers from last summer. Everyone else is still playing catch-up

In a Fantasy Football League Statto style, how Utd's new mix will fair looks the most interesting challenge, both for LVG, the title & neutrals. Not sure about Pigfarmer, although how ridiculous is it to question that guy's record? Keeps it simple, but his age and getting accustomed to things count against him.

Disappointed with Liverpool, losing Stevie G will only add to Brendan's ever more presumptuous claims as the season develops. Who they pick up between now and the transfer deadline interests me the most personally only because they seemed closest to putting something special together until fairly recently.

As you know Arsenal wont spend & Spurs will buy any old wank.

As I said in the other thread Gerrard has been a bit of a liability in three of the last four seasons (he was good when we finished 2nd), not that he didn't do good things, but it was all at the cost of unbalancing the team in the middle of the park, we became far too easy to run straight through. we've only really looked solid in the last few years when Lucas has been holding, with Gerrard there we've been a bit of a shambles. Milner is a definite upgrade for this season, though obviously he doesn't compare to Gerrard at his peak under Rafa.

• 6 months later...

lol don't fight it.

In other news, if Alexandre Pato is the answer, what on Earth could be the question?

I'm reluctantly accepting it. It just feel so...blerg.

The question could be either "Who will be a crushing disappointment at Chelsea for the remainder of the season?" or "Who will get injured within his first 3 matches and miss the rest of the season for Chelsea?"

Pato's injury problems are over apparently, was due to a growth spurt he had while in Italy. He's been good in Brazil, but it's a big step up to continue looking an attacking threat in the premier league.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

...along with Piotr Zielinski of Udinese apparently (a 21 year Polish old all-round midfielder, we already signed a similar player in January - Serbian Marko Grujic), I wonder if that will spell the end for Allen? He's been in great form in the latter part of the season but Swansea are supposedly interested in taking him back. Lucas seems likely to leave, but the same is said at the end of every season for the last few years and he's still here, great squad player to have - especially as he can now do a job at centre-back as well, model pro too. I wouldn't mind us singing a young defensive midfielder either, don't think young Kevin Stewart has what it takes, but he's done alright, so might get another chance next season.

Goetze still seems a likely option too, and we'll probably try to swap Benteke for a striker more suited to Klopp's style (e.g. more pace and energy, Benteke hasn't done badly for us actually, he's a good player, decent goals/minutes rate for us, but all round performances haven't been great). We've also got Lazar Markovic coming back from a productive loan period at Fenerbache, no idea what our plans for him will be, he was mostly played out wide under Rodgers (and wing-back bizarrely), think he's probably more suited to a central role.

Shalke's Joel Matip also signed in January, probably to replace Skrtel (who had a tearful wave to the away fans at the last game apparently). Sakho's silliness and Touré's age/contract situation probably means we'll be in for another centre back as well. Some left-back competition for Moreno is on the cards as well, Leicester's Ben Chillwell and Leeds' Charlie Taylor two options.

We've also just nicked two of Bayern's backroom staff, their nutritionist and fitness coach.

As for outgoings, I'd be worried that Barca might be interested in Coutinho, Spurs want Lallana (Goetze would be an upgrade probably, not as hard working, but would have more end product one would think) and Henderson apparently. Don't think we need to worry about anyone being poached without our say-so aside from Coutinho, it'd be hard for him to turn down Barca (not that I've heard they're interested or anything, but it seems like an ideal place for him - their end of season wobble showed they could do with another player in that position).

The thing I don't get is why Klopp offered Mignolet a new 5 year contract earlier this year. He had 2 years left on his contract, and no one was rushing to buy him...

The thing I don't get is why Klopp offered Mignolet a new 5 year contract earlier this year. He had 2 years left on his contract, and no one was rushing to buy him...

He's far from perfect (not great on crosses, and liable for 1-2 cockups a season), but he's a very good shot stopper (we wouldn't be in the final tomorrow without him), so he'll provide decent backup if this new guy turns out to be the shit.