IGNORED

Aphex Twin - Fenixfunk 5 synth

gritbox

One of my favorite sounds is the synth from Fenixfunk 5 that runs from 1:14 to 1:45, I was hoping someone on here would be able to explain what it is. Im pretty new to making my own synth sounds so I cant tell if its some sort of modulated saw or a sample of a high pitched string being plucked. Its so beautiful, i want to eat it :(

Guest Glass Plate

I'm not even going to look up at that part of the song, and just say Synton Fenix to troll.

I think i phrased what I was trying to say wrong, sorry. Im wondering what the waveform of that sound is and how it can be made, or if it is a sample being run through distortion and things.

comb filter, yeah, maybe a formant, too. most likely a sawtooth with a little drive on it? or some serious resonance.

I happened to be messing with my nord modular when I opened this thread. So I decided to make an example. It's certainly not the exact thing, but it's decent approximation to give you the gist.

Needs more decay, better feedback, and modulating but I got bored so here ya go.

http://soundcloud.com/katiekilobyte/afx-fenix-funk-zomg

afxfenixcomb.jpg

edit: lol @ two amp env's forgot to delete the other one. I may not have played the right notes either i just listened to that part real quick. This is making me a bit disappointed with the nord's feedback on the comb, I must explore this more.

If I'm in the mood I'll do it in vaz modular later. I know that comb filter in and out.

there ye go.

yeah noise is better, as is the string osc in the g2. And 4 saws was not necc. I just liked the way it sounded ;P i made a really cool droney patch out of it.

you could get similar stuff for fm synthesis if you spent a lot of time on it. clangy clang. =D

in other words, pay attention to ryan, not me

Guest ryanmcallister

lol aww brandi you hit the nail on the head i just drove it in the rest of the way.

actually pretty much any waveform would work as an exciter, the key is to just have a very short decay on the sound and you'll get your tail from high feedback on the filter.

also using filters in the feedback chain is fun for tube like sounds.

Guest Rabid

lol aww brandi you hit the nail on the head i just drove it in the rest of the way.

actually pretty much any waveform would work as an exciter, the key is to just have a very short decay on the sound and you'll get your tail from high feedback on the filter.

what the fuck

Guest ryanmcallister

read "high feedback on the delay"...

Simple%20Physical%20Modelling%20Patch.png

See. Reaktor is awesome. But compare it to the nord's layout as far as modules go. I just can't stand the way reaktor works and its tiny modules and weird labels. Maybe I need to go to a synth therapist or something. I've onwed it since I bought komplete a good while a ago, but I never use it. Nor do I ever use absynth. Just too wonky of layouts.

Guest iamabe

First off, great work by Brandi and ryanmcallister. Those are both really close.

Now someone try a good emulation of the nasty bass at 3:09... sounds fairly straightforward but it's got some character i've had trouble figuring out.

Second, I propose a thread in EKT where everyone shares screens of their patches, midi sequences and anything else. I love seeing how people work. There could be a synth patch competition where someone posts a sample and everyone tries to emulate it. I personally wish people shared more about how they work in EKT but it's mostly full of specific questions about hardware and the forum isn't nearly busy enough. Who likes the idea?

I dunno about a dedicated thread, but I liked that Ryan did what I did :) I really enjoy it as well, and more of it would probably help ekt be less of a tumble weed farm. It's not too common on a lot of synth/gear sites, but it is pretty common on dedicated forums to spefcific instruments, ie: electro-music forums, etc.

Yeah actually, I guess I could see a dedicated thread working out okay. I'm not sure where it would go though without a general theme/purpose..and could likely dive into "this vst is crap this one is better, i have moar skillz" etc. But I don't see why not try it.

Actually, now that I think of it even more, it would be cool. Especially for people with analog synths. They could post a zoomed in pic of their settings and/or a text version. Then others could copare them to other instruments or vsts. I've gotten quite into getting as close as possible to replicating analog synths on the nord. It will never be 100% but I've figure out a lot of good tricks via trial and error, plus common knowledge I already had and lot's of tips from people on other boards/lists.

The cool/weird thing about the nord in particular, is that it gives you bare bones. Just like reaktor. So if you plug just an osc-->amp-->--filter-->output with an env for the filter mod. It sounds absolutely nothing like analog at all, and is in fact, very bright and digital. But once you start messing about with all your options, you can really get close.

Not that analog/digital is even the point, it's just an example. Trying to re-create sounds in songs, or the general sounds of songs etc, is great too. Just like when someone was asking about afx using the cs-80 on SAW II and I pulled up the plug in (the only arturia thing I will ever own) and quickly used it only, to make SAW like sounds, which you can do with pretty much anything anyway with lot's of reverb and pads. Even got a nice rimshot sound with a little compression and short decay. :cisfor:

http://soundcloud.com/katiekilobyte/ktkbsawii

i like it

Guest iamabe

I might make a thread when I get home. I think a good starting point would be a simple cover or an emulation of a patch. I have a small bit of Flim covered on my electribe.

As I see it the thread could just be a big repository of ideas bounced back and forth. So if you had a wank with some grain delay one evening and wanted to share it, even if it was just an unfinished idea, you could put it there.

Archived