IGNORED

Aphex Twin - Fenixfunk 5 synth

gritbox

I heard Th'idiot in an interview with some Mongolian underground technos magazine, that he secretly collabs with the afx and is everyone that isn't him that people think he is innit.

Guest iamabe

I spoke to Richard at the konklaver party in Nanjizal last year and he said he used FL plucked

lol. I LOVE that little plugin. Made a whole track of just plucked.

Guest ryanmcallister

First off, great work by Brandi and ryanmcallister. Those are both really close.

Now someone try a good emulation of the nasty bass at 3:09... sounds fairly straightforward but it's got some character i've had trouble figuring out.

Second, I propose a thread in EKT where everyone shares screens of their patches, midi sequences and anything else. I love seeing how people work. There could be a synth patch competition where someone posts a sample and everyone tries to emulate it. I personally wish people shared more about how they work in EKT but it's mostly full of specific questions about hardware and the forum isn't nearly busy enough. Who likes the idea?

+1 i like this idea too.

i get this stuff a little from forums like kvr but it would be so much cooler to have it in a tight-knit community like watmm where you actually know people and stuff. for example seeing somebody's technique and consciously being able to link that to something your hear by them in YLC a week earlier.

woah i thought we were talking about the awesome growly formanted noise. surprised my guess was so close, given i was talking bout something else haha.

Guest jubes

Simple%20Physical%20Modelling%20Patch.png

See. Reaktor is awesome. But compare it to the nord's layout as far as modules go. I just can't stand the way reaktor works and its tiny modules and weird labels. Maybe I need to go to a synth therapist or something. I've onwed it since I bought komplete a good while a ago, but I never use it. Nor do I ever use absynth. Just too wonky of layouts.

Why does nobody ever use karma fx ???? its amazing what you can do with it , exept the shitbrown colored themes

Guest ryanmcallister

Why does nobody ever use karma fx ???? its amazing what you can do with it , exept the shitbrown colored themes

looks cool, no mac version though :(

It would be wonderful to have a thread discussing patch creation, how to recreate certain sounds and which new tricks are interesting to try out and improve upon. I for one am not really interested in which synths were used to make certain songs, but I am indeed interested in how to recreate certain sounds, and most of these kinds of tips can be applied to many different synths so hardly anyone should feel left out just because they're using a different piece of kit/software.

Thanks for these examples and for introducing the rest of us to Karplus-Strong string synthesis. I hadn't even heard of that before. I didn't realise that any form of physical modelling (albeit one dimensional) was so simple. Yay patch sharing!

Guest iamabe

It would be wonderful to have a thread discussing patch creation, how to recreate certain sounds and which new tricks are interesting to try out and improve upon. I for one am not really interested in which synths were used to make certain songs, but I am indeed interested in how to recreate certain sounds, and most of these kinds of tips can be applied to many different synths so hardly anyone should feel left out just because they're using a different piece of kit/software.

Thanks for these examples and for introducing the rest of us to Karplus-Strong string synthesis. I hadn't even heard of that before. I didn't realise that any form of physical modelling (albeit one dimensional) was so simple. Yay patch sharing!

dude, that's such a simple recipe for a string patch. awesome!

my most proud synthesis moment is when i discovered: square->lowpass->envelope on lowpass = the essence of subtractive synthesis. yummy resonant bass sound. essential. (fucking duh but still awesome when i was playing with synths on my own for the first time)

I should start this patch thread. Been lazy lately argh.

my most proud synthesis moment is when i discovered: square->lowpass->envelope on lowpass = the essence of subtractive synthesis.

Remember first discovering PWM? How can anyone be content with a guitar after that? Not that I really got much into guitars in the first place, my first instrument was Scream Tracker 3. :)

I should start this patch thread.

Please do! :D It'll be great.

Guest ryanmcallister

dude, that's such a simple recipe for a string patch. awesome!

my most proud synthesis moment is when i discovered: square->lowpass->envelope on lowpass = the essence of subtractive synthesis. yummy resonant bass sound. essential. (fucking duh but still awesome when i was playing with synths on my own for the first time)

I should start this patch thread. Been lazy lately argh.

that's what i did in my example ;)

and +1 for the thread. if you don't do it today i will.

• 3 years later...
Guest skibby

I spoke to Richard at the konklaver party in Nanjizal last year and he said he used FL plucked

this

havent read the thread in detail and im sort of fucked up, but that voice in fenix funk. i dont know what you mean about comb filter. like a flange effect? ok, maybe he used a formant synth. might have used his own voice though. but the core of the sound to me sounds like some sort of amplitude modulation

just use a random ass synth and make it all bassy etc turn your cutoff knob so it goes arrwwrooooooahhh

then after that, put it on cassette tape, take it to your local abandoned bank and throw the tape against the wall with a microphone on so you get that authentic reverb with out using that stupid pro tools computer crap which is all a lie none of it is real

then reupload it so that synth sounds real spooky and chop it into little pieces and put it on a sampler track etc that easy

Archived