IGNORED

Shoegaze

Guest Sprigg

where the fuck is that Beautiful Noise documentary?

it's been on the cards for about 20 years now...

It's premiering tomorrow night at the Seattle Film Festival!

http://pleasekillme.com/my-bloody-valentine-cocteau-twins-jesus-and-mary-chain-doc-beautiful-noise-premiere-announced/

• 10 months later...
Guest igloos unlmtd

Some of my favorite Chapterhouse tunes - none of them from Whirlpool or early eps.

Everytime, from Blood Music - one of the best examples of dance music blended with shoegaze. No one did better than MBV & Chapterhouse

For What Its Worth, a B-Side from She's A Vision / Blood Music era also available on the hard to find Rownderbowt:

Summer Chill, from Mesermise - extremely MBVesque & all kinds of lovely

Edited by igloos unlmtd

got really into this band recently - they are not really traditional shoegaze sounding but are very dark + airy - and drenched in reverb

Edited by Guest

where the fuck is that Beautiful Noise documentary that was supposed to be out like, 4 years ago?? :(

http://www.beautifulnoisedocumentary.com/

The film premiered May 31, 2014 at the Seattle International Film Festival

Does anyone know where to get this digitally? I have enough stupid plastic discs laying around my house.

where the fuck is that Beautiful Noise documentary that was supposed to be out like, 4 years ago?? :(

Does anyone know where to get this digitally? I have enough stupid plastic discs laying around my house.

legally or illegally?

legally or illegally?

roger.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

just watched it now, those guys simply radiate humbleness and complete lack of any pretensions. just a bunch of people who listened to the right music, did the right drugs and worked hard to make their thing. i had no ideas souvlaki got butchered by the press, just ridiculous, always regarded it as a kin to loveless when it comes to sheer brilliance, beauty and influence. really nice to see them gather a huge crowd in the end.

Edited by eugene

Guest igloos unlmtd

i watched it last night... souvlaki was an album that defined my late teens & this really took me back to that time... slowdive were extremely popular with my friends & everyone i knew that liked shoegaze.. i'd go to a party & that album would be playing.

slowdive just weren't popular in the uk & I can see why - the lyrics can be a little corny & a song like dagger is just a little too much woe is me... but there are moments of brilliance for sure.

the version that we had in the US had In Mind tacked on to the end & that version will always be my favorite.. In Mind is some of their strongest work. new remasters are crap - i like my old beat-up copy best.

the band admits it comes from a somewhat immature perspective & i was lucky enough to be at the right age at the right time..

just watched it now, those guys simply radiate humbleness and complete lack of any pretensions. just a bunch of people who listened to the right music, did the right drugs and worked hard to make their thing. i had no ideas souvlaki got butchered by the press, just ridiculous, always regarded it as a kin to loveless when it comes to sheer brilliance, beauty and influence. really nice to see them gather a huge crowd in the end.

Yeah it's pretty incredible how much it suffered in the press, as did shoegaze in general. I suppose it's another factor in why Pygmalion was such a departure from previous albums. I'm really happy with how in-depth the documentary went. Was curious if they'd cover any post-Souvlaki activity but I'm kind of glad they didn't. Got to hand it to Pfork for the production quality and editing as well.

I'm one of those who has found Slowdive fairly recently in the last few years. Saw them last year at FYF, they played their set during a sunset and it was amazing.

I'm pretty sure I posted these earlier but they were deleted and re-upped. Great overview on shoegaze as a scene overall (in I & II, III is more about the U.S. scene, specifically Boston).

These guys are almost as equally noise rock as they are shoegaze but I've been really digging this album lately, dark moody shoegaze:

Edited by ghOsty