IGNORED

the luke vibert sample spotting thread

solarion

Does he clear all his samples? If not dry snitching runs wild on the internets.

It's for that reason I don't really post samples anymore if it looks like the artist might sue (see: anybody on Salsoul; that's why we can't get KD3 repressed). The makers of radio station jingles and laughing samples are probably less aware.

If you know of anything I've posted that might be the trigger for a lawsuit, I will take it down. I feel like the spoken word samples are interesting to hear in their old context but the funk ones I have more reservations on nowadays.

He's popular enough and on major labels, I figure he must get the samples cleared? Wouldn't that be a liability for the label and not just the artist?

I imagine the ones that make up a bulk of a song are probably cleared. I'm less sure about the vocal samples, or the very tiny bit of Leonard Cohen in one song.

I doubt he clears them.  

I think he flies under the radar, doesn't generate enough $.  However fucking Bob James is suing Madlib.

I think this is the case too, maybe excluding his releases on Virgin or other major or big indie labels? I remember KD3 couldn't be pressed up more than an X amount of copies because otherwise they could get sued? Which is also why it's not repressed yet?

I doubt he clears them.  

I think he flies under the radar, doesn't generate enough $.  However fucking Bob James is suing Madlib.

Incidentally, that is the least coherent thing. He could sue pretty much anybody in the rap world (they can't -all- have cleared Nautilus) and he goes after Madlib? 

I doubt he clears them.  

Incidentally, that is the least coherent thing. He could sue pretty much anybody in the rap world (they can't -all- have cleared Nautilus) and he goes after Madlib? 

Crazy, right? 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

k it's been a week

As seen in Thameslick by Amen Andrews.

It's also worth mentioning that I'm pretty sure that track is also sampled in Amon Tobin's "Four Ton Mantis"

Nice catch, both of you!!!

• 1 month later...

Hey question... this has been bugging me for a while.

I KNOW one of my fav artists sampled this track (see 15 seconds in), I feel like it was on a vibert track?

Anyone know?

• 1 month later...

This very well could have been posted earlier at some point, but 13 pages is a lot to go through.

This is the beginning of "Delicious" by Plug:

It hasn't. Thank you; I'd always wondered about this one. Given the bass sound, I wouldn't be surprised if the main slap riff is lurking on the same album somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

This very well could have been posted earlier at some point, but 13 pages is a lot to go through.

This is the beginning of "Delicious" by Plug:

It hasn't. Thank you; I'd always wondered about this one. Given the bass sound, I wouldn't be surprised if the main slap riff is lurking on the same album somewhere.

I've listened to that album, and unfortunately the main bass is not on it.  That slap still eludes me!

• 3 weeks later...

From Quada Y Discos:

When a composer writes a piece of music, he attempts to induce in the listener a specific mood or a feeling. Here it is a mood best characterized as "low down." I believe you will agree that a new feat in low-downness has been achieved.

• 1 month later...

I doubt he clears them.  

I think this is the case too, maybe excluding his releases on Virgin or other major or big indie labels? I remember KD3 couldn't be pressed up more than an X amount of copies because otherwise they could get sued? Which is also why it's not repressed yet?

Also what I heard for this (hello a year later) is essentially that Salsoul got a little grumpy about the sample on Needy Feelin' and said basically "yeah okay but you're not repressing that or we'll sue". 

• 4 weeks later...