IGNORED

Kyma Capybara 320 by symbolicsound

Guest d2ba

probably old news--prices have dropped a lot on ebay for the Kyma Capybara 320 system (USD$1100 average for basic system)

http://www.sequencer.de/specials/intelligent_or_not_at_all.html

Autechre used Kyma very early. those stuttering clicks and stuff in high quality is what is said "aphex twin went for a very expensive mac around XXXXX€.." imo it was kyma by symbolic sound (by Carla Scaletti + Kurt Hebel).. It's a very powerful engine, the Capybara 320 (well, 10 years ago it wasn't the 320, but the 66 or 33 (the speed of the DSPs and number.. was a bit smaller)

anyway, maybe they know what a cephlaphage is

so why this shit-guy does not tell us abouzt plugins? well, if you use kyma or ever used kyma: you don't need any of those since it is "the original" one.. you can morph in realtime, create clicks and grain clouds, change rhythms on a very high quality level etc. - the glitch stuff and lots of crackling sounds on earlier autechre seem to come from kyma .. trust me: there is almost no plugin that beats kyma in quality.. - btw, there is also a nice squarpusher patch on kyma: it's only one "jazz" sample (BD and ride) that is being played and looped but starting at random position, in fact it sounds like a wild jam session with squarpusher.. it's one of the ready instant patches in kyma (does not mean it is bad..) - no this is no call for you all to buy kyma but in fact you do not need to search for plugins or any "cubase"-level stuff.. find more on kyma on the symbolic sound page. kyma does a lot of FFT spectrum computation, hi end vocoding and grainalizing.. meanwhile reaktor catched up with some of those fx .. and a number of plugins may be able to do.. but the FFT stuff and the quality is still outstanding and unique with kyma, still..

Artist news from Manufactor

http://www.symbolicsound.com/eighth-news.html

And Aphex Twin has won Die Goldene Nica award (a kind of gold winged and headless version of the Oscar) in the Digital Music category.

what is said "aphex twin went for a very expensive mac around XXXXX€.." imo it was kyma by symbolic sound (by Carla Scaletti + Kurt Hebel)..

Symbolic Sound confirm this by listing Aphex Twin in their artist news

what is said "aphex twin went for a very expensive mac around XXXXX€.." imo it was kyma by symbolic sound (by Carla Scaletti + Kurt Hebel)..

soooooo can anyone spot where he's used it?

I think maybe 2.15 on Steppingfilter 101 :whistling:

soooooo can anyone spot where he's used it?

I think maybe 2.15 on Steppingfilter 101 :whistling:

the only thing i can think of is some of the vocal processing stuff in Window Licker, beyond that i really don't think anything in Aphex Twin's music absolutely had to be done by a Capybara.

Guest sickboy

he had / has loads of different software, including custom stuff made by himself and other people

even custom hardware boxes etc.

as im sure people on here ( eg. Marf, cos he stalks him ) know already

yeah i do. hi. I thinkk the windowlicker vocal was done with an eventide h949. I only care about the music making process. I dont give a fuck about your personal shit like gossip mags. Sorry.

His post reads like an advertisement. It might as well say "If you buy a Pacarana you too can make music like Aphex Twin & Squarepusher!" This topic should be deleted or at least moved to EKT...

he had / has loads of different software, including custom stuff made by himself and other people

even custom hardware boxes etc

Kyma's pretty interesting and a deep box, it takes a lot of work and reading the manual and learning how to script in the programming they use (which is related to C++ distantly). It's nowhere near an instant "this will make you sound like Aphex, Autechre, Squarepusher" box. That "Squarepusher like" patch the original poster was talking about isn't that impressive sounding, I can post up sound examples when I get home. I've never been able to pick out any Kyma sounds from any Autechre, mostly because you can make it sound like a lot of different things.

If you're looking for a definitive "this is what Kyma can do" album then check out Cristian Vogel's "The Never Engine" on Tresor (sound samples here: http://clone.nl/item10764.html). The sounds were done almost entirely using Kyma. He was talking about the patch creation on his old blog and even stuck up some photos of some Kyma patches he used: http://www.last.fm/user/cristian_vogel/journal/2007/01/01/6lh_never_engine_takes_shape

Another place you can hear Kyma in action are the vocals for Wall-E and that other girl robot in the Wall-E film. It's used a lot in sound design for films, but it's not a one shot super instant "IDM" (worst term ever) machine.

That Aphex Twin Milkman vocal sound was probably done with a regular ring modular or frequency shifter, nothing fancy needed (something like this: http://www.modcan.com/bseries/freqshift.html). Most of the sound design in Windowlicker was apparently done using the Metasynth software.

Guest sickboy

if bt has it he hasnt bothered past the presets

( if u are interested in things which think they copy late 90s sqrpshr check out nick collins bbcut for csound+sc, btw )

cephelaphage = head virus ??

• 2 years later...
probably old news--prices have dropped a lot on ebay for the Kyma Capybara 320 system (USD$1100 average for basic system)

http://www.sequencer.de/specials/intelligent_or_not_at_all.html

Autechre used Kyma very early. those stuttering clicks and stuff in high quality is what is said "aphex twin went for a very expensive mac around XXXXX€.." imo it was kyma by symbolic sound (by Carla Scaletti + Kurt Hebel).. It's a very powerful engine, the Capybara 320 (well, 10 years ago it wasn't the 320, but the 66 or 33 (the speed of the DSPs and number.. was a bit smaller)

anyway, maybe they know what a cephlaphage is

so why this shit-guy does not tell us abouzt plugins? well, if you use kyma or ever used kyma: you don't need any of those since it is "the original" one.. you can morph in realtime, create clicks and grain clouds, change rhythms on a very high quality level etc. - the glitch stuff and lots of crackling sounds on earlier autechre seem to come from kyma .. trust me: there is almost no plugin that beats kyma in quality.. - btw, there is also a nice squarpusher patch on kyma: it's only one "jazz" sample (BD and ride) that is being played and looped but starting at random position, in fact it sounds like a wild jam session with squarpusher.. it's one of the ready instant patches in kyma (does not mean it is bad..) - no this is no call for you all to buy kyma but in fact you do not need to search for plugins or any "cubase"-level stuff.. find more on kyma on the symbolic sound page. kyma does a lot of FFT spectrum computation, hi end vocoding and grainalizing.. meanwhile reaktor catched up with some of those fx .. and a number of plugins may be able to do.. but the FFT stuff and the quality is still outstanding and unique with kyma, still..

Artist news from Manufactor

http://www.symbolicsound.com/eighth-news.html

And Aphex Twin has won Die Goldene Nica award (a kind of gold winged and headless version of the Oscar) in the Digital Music category.

It's my best guess as well. Listening to Bucephalus Bouncing Ball, released in 1997, the voice transforming from violin strings to human..Think about when that album was written, 96-97? Home computers could have only dreamed of such computational power back then. A Kyma-Capybara enabled system could have easily spewed out such sorcery since '92.

Anyone here knows if the Kyma system has aged well, any new algorithmic dsp injections that make it ahead of the game. When I tried it 2005/06 in school I was a little bit underwhelmed by it, comparing it to the possibilities on pc/mac's with (free) vst's / software. Quality of dac convertors + multiple outs are a plus though...

to be totally honest, not really. There are plugins made by a fellow named Harm Visser that emulate acoustic instruments, some of them sound pretty amazing, better than most existing hardware or softsynths but still not really that mind blowing unless you are into physical modeling synthesis. The spectral morphing ability is still unparalleled, but it takes a lot of manual work to get it to sound good. It would be nice if they updated the whole spectral analysis process and had something that could just do it in real-time automatically. What im saying is you cant just drop in a whole bunch of different sound sources to see if they make good morphs, you have to carefully select your sounds, and run them through a cumbersome pre-process to even start a morph. And until you start the morph you have no idea if it will sound worthwhile or not, most of the time it doesn't sound very good. Takes a lot of trial and error. I tried hundreds of different sounds and maybe only 1 or 2 of my experiments actually sounded as good as the demos on the website

edit: Kyma was also the first piece of gear i know of that could do that seamless artifact free time stretching effect, but is now no longer special and exclusive to the kyma and is available with common tools like Paulstretch or Spear

Guest KRiSh 05

i'm reading some old posts about Kyma on the forum. Seems the subject has been discussed a lot.

There is also another good thread on WATTM related to Drill N Bass or sth...

...and i see also this one has been resurrected.

About ARS Electronicae: Yes, Aphex and Cunningham won a prize in the Digital Music, but with Come To Daddy videoclip:

http://90.146.8.18/en/archives/festival_archive/festival_catalogs/festival_artikel.asp?iProjectID=8364

And Symbolic Sound cites it without being so specifical, this leads me assuming the Kyma has been used in Come To Daddy EP..

There is a very very good review and comparison between Kyma and other advanced tools on Gearslutz as far as i recall..

its from Anthony Bisset and the guy is very proficient with it.. (very nice stuff on his soundcloud).

As for now i'm quite interested in the Capybara, cause of the quality I/O it has instead of PacaRana...

..obvoiusly the price tag is also interesting now.

I have no doubt in the sonic possibilities of the Kyma, but still an Orville would be my first choice for both instant superior processing and also advanced processing taking more effort..

shit.. fell into the GAS again.. or never been out ?

Archived