IGNORED

Kyma Capybara 320 by symbolicsound

Guest d2ba

And Symbolic Sound cites it without being so specifical, this leads me assuming the Kyma has been used in Come To Daddy EP..

It wouldn't surprise me, there's a lot of spectral and granular type stuff going on especially in intro/outro of the video for the title track. Also in stuff a bit later with Windowlicker, equation, the stuff for the Flex video ...

Talking of which, has the 17 minute version of Flex been released anywhere on the net yet ? The best I can find is a low quality 12 minute cam rip. It was given an official UK film certification back in 2000 ( http://www.bbfc.co.uk/releases/flex-2000 ), but I'm wondering if that was just because of the public performance of the installation

Guest KRiSh 05

Agree.. the effects heard during some moments of Flex strongly reminds me of processing done in Kyma..

Can't find any official release of Flex, except for "The Work of Director Chris Cunningham" DVD which features and excerpt of 3.27 of the piece we all have. By the way, i assume most of the installation had "silent" or "very quite murmuring" sonic moments, probably repeated.

Would be nice to hear the full version anyway.

"His video installation Flex was first shown in 2000 at the Royal Academy of Arts, and subsequently at the Anthony d'Offay Gallery and other art galleries. Flex was commissioned by the Anthony d'Offay Gallery for the Apocalypse: Beauty & Horror in Contemporary Art exhibition curated byNorman Rosenthal and Max Wigram at the Royal Academy of Arts in 2000.

The Anthony d'Offay Gallery also commissioned Monkey Drummer, a 2½ minute piece intended for exhibition as a companion to Flex at the 2000Apocalypse exhibition at the Royal Academy of Arts, however the piece was not finished in time. In it an automaton with nine appendages and the head of a monkey plays the drums to "Mt Saint Michel + Saint Michaels Mount", the 10th track on Aphex Twin's 2001 album drukqs. Monkey Drummer debuted as part of Cunningham's installation at the 49th International Exhibition of Art at the 2001 Venice Biennale, which consisted of a loop of Monkey Drummer, Flex, [...]"

i assume most of the installation had "silent" or "very quite murmuring" sonic moments, probably repeated.

There were also remixed sections of Omgyjya Switch 7 and Gwarek 2 I believe

EDIT: Actually I think I'm confusing the use of Omgyjya Switch 7 for when Cunningham used the track synced to Flex footage in one of his DJ/VJ sets.

i tried hard to like Kyma but i couldn't come to terms with the interface. there ARE some pretty cool modules in there and the SmallTalk scripting is really powerful.

the system can be quirky and sluggish at times, sometimes even buggy.

tbfh.... maxmsp/PD have a larger amount of modules (including externals), allow you to code your own modules/externals in C, and run natively without a dsp-box the price of a small car.

I've worked with Max/MSP, Reaktor, and various plug-ins for several years and Kyma still sounds the best, to me, for granular, resynthesis, morphing, and time-stretching. I spent a couple of years trying to get the same quality out of the IRCAM library, for example, and a dozen other 3rd party externals, that I can get 'out of the box' from Kyma. Yes, the interface could be improved but if you meet it half way, you can do things very quickly.

Anyway, I'm selling my basic Capybara (extra cards sold, already), so I can eventually afford the Pacarana. If anyone's interested, send me a message.

My soundcloud and bandcamp pages are full of Kyma and modular tracks and experiments, if you'd like to take a listen.

http://soundcloud.com/cebec

http://bandcamp.cebec.com

• 10 months later...

what is said "aphex twin went for a very expensive mac around XXXXX€.." imo it was kyma by symbolic sound (by Carla Scaletti + Kurt Hebel)..

Symbolic Sound confirm this by listing Aphex Twin in their artist news

soooooo can anyone spot where he's used it?

I think maybe 2.15 on Steppingfilter 101 :whistling:

the only thing i can think of is some of the vocal processing stuff in Window Licker, beyond that i really don't think anything in Aphex Twin's music absolutely had to be done by a Capybara.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_PV2EuLGV4

ah nice, forgot about that one off Drukqs. Similar sound processing appears in the Steinvord record as well

anyone remember that weird bongo drums track aphex put out around the time of RDJ album on an obscure computer music comp? that one could be kyma too, but i can't remember the name of the comp or the song. It's probably amongst his least referenced songs in the entire AFX verse next to bradley strider, gak and the unreleased tape

• 2 years later...

I've worked with Max/MSP, Reaktor, and various plug-ins for several years and Kyma still sounds the best, to me, for granular, resynthesis, morphing, and time-stretching. I spent a couple of years trying to get the same quality out of the IRCAM library, for example, and a dozen other 3rd party externals, that I can get 'out of the box' from Kyma. Yes, the interface could be improved but if you meet it half way, you can do things very quickly.  

Anyway, I'm selling my basic Capybara (extra cards sold, already), so I can eventually afford the Pacarana. If anyone's interested, send me a message. 

My soundcloud and bandcamp pages are full of Kyma and modular tracks and experiments, if you'd like to take a listen.

I finally managed to afford an upgraded Pacarana and have been using it for about two years. The Kyma 7 software update that's about as old, and the recent 7.1 update have really improved the overall user experience. Getting sounds quickly and playing with new combinations of processes, etc., is now even faster and easier, and with a system as deep and complex, having these generative shortcuts, is a huge help in exploring the vast possibilities.

This set collects all of the music I created between 1/15 and 7/15 using the Pacarana and Kyma 7. It's 'drone' music, but even if that's not your cup of tea, you might be interested to hear some of what I coaxed out of it during that time:

I finally managed to afford an upgraded Pacarana and have been using it for about two years. The Kyma 7 software update that's about as old, and the recent 7.1 update have really improved the overall user experience. Getting sounds quickly and playing with new combinations of processes, etc., is now even faster and easier, and with a system as deep and complex, having these generative shortcuts, is a huge help in exploring the vast possibilities.

This set collects all of the music I created between 1/15 and 7/15 using the Pacarana and Kyma 7. It's 'drone' music, but even if that's not your cup of tea, you might be interested to hear some of what I coaxed out of it during that time:

I forgot to mention that, specifically regarding the spectral analysis/synthesis capabilities, I've spent more time with the IRCAM Forum subscription and was a subscriber to Cristian Vogel's NeverEngine Labs project for Kyma where new spectral techniques, among other things, were developed, and having had an opportunity to compare and contrast, I feel that they all have important strengths and weaknesses and it's been beneficial to have access to all of these approaches and techniques over the last several years. In particular, IRCAM's SuperVP, NE Labs' SPC 2.0 player, and the latest updates to Kyma's native spectral analysis and resynthesis are terrific. 

Perc #6 was done with Supercollider, remember reading about It somewhere. All the processing on Bucephalus Bouncing Ball sounds like It was done with CDP. Really don't think Kyma plays a big part in the music of Aphex Twin. 

Would still love to get a Pacarana though. 

Just remembered where I read that he used Supercollider for perc6. Was In the comments on his soundcloud, think someone asked how he made Perc #6 and he said It was made entirely with Supercollider. 

i've had a capybara 320 since ~2005; i've not heard anything that would lead me to believe aphex uses one.  as an aside, one thing that no one ever mentions is how gorgeous the dacs are on the 320.  I used to run EVERYTHING through them.  maybe it's just me...  I use supercollider now exclusively so my capy/motormix have just been gathering dust for years.  also, the ability to script is in fact powerful, the fact that it's smalltalk is a fucking hindrance.

i've had a capybara 320 since ~2005; i've not heard anything that would lead me to believe aphex uses one.  as an aside, one thing that no one ever mentions is how gorgeous the dacs are on the 320.  I used to run EVERYTHING through them.  maybe it's just me...  I use supercollider now exclusively so my capy/motormix have just been gathering dust for years.  also, the ability to script is in fact powerful, the fact that it's smalltalk is a fucking hindrance.

Are you saying the Kyma scripting is in Smalltalk? I thought Supercollider was Smalltalk-based as well? What is it about the language that you dislike?

Are you saying the Kyma scripting is in Smalltalk? I thought Supercollider was Smalltalk-based as well? What is it about the language that you dislike?

it's "capytalk" which is a subset of smalltalk though i believe quite a bit of smalltalk is supported?  being an object oriented, reflective language is of little use for the parameter scripting in kyma - ymmv - and i fucking hate dynamically typed languages (supercollider, i forgive you).  maybe more of a poor fit than an actual hindrance.  however, Carla is very sweet and I would highly recommend all symbolic sound products.  the object oriented aspects of supercollider are smalltalk based, but this doesn't mean much in practice.  yes, you use objects but a lot of what you end up doing feels much more functional.

also, these are fucking wonderful.

• 2 weeks later...

Perc #6 was done with Supercollider, remember reading about It somewhere. All the processing on Bucephalus Bouncing Ball sounds like It was done with CDP. Really don't think Kyma plays a big part in the music of Aphex Twin. 

Would still love to get a Pacarana though. 

• 3 months later...

Archived