IGNORED

Wolfgang Voigt / Gas

Guest carthief

OK, I'm not looking to be a copyist or anything but I stumbled onto something fun. Aphex only wishes the Analord binder could compare to this 3LP "Isle Of The Dead" by Rachmaninoff I found at a thrift store for $0.25. The records must be pressed lead; literally the heaviest 33 RPM discs I've ever held in my life. It's built just like a book with a bound spine and cardboard sheathes for the records. It was released in the 60's and the records and binders are in absolutely horrible condition...maybe the worst shape I've ever seen records in that could still be played.

I used an old sacrificial stylus to encode them digitally just for the novelty of it. I revisited it tonight and now that I know Nah und Fern front to back, I was shocked by how much the beginning of the third movement sounded very Gas(sy) :rolleyes: I selected out the intro and crafted a reverbed kick drum reminiscent of the Gas series to add. Except for the kick, the sample is completely untouched--everything you hear is the sum total of artifacts from a 45 year old trashed record. It's truncated for looping so Choose Your Own Gas

Honestly, I would probably enjoy this more without the kick drum. it's fucking great with of course, but god damn, that record sounds heavenly. Sounds like the caretaker minus reverb. If you did rip all 3 LPs like your wording makes it sound, I'd love to have the files.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Deep Fried Everything

thats fucking awesome....such simple ideas make such great music

OK, I'm not looking to be a copyist or anything but I stumbled onto something fun. Aphex only wishes the Analord binder could compare to this 3LP "Isle Of The Dead" by Rachmaninoff I found at a thrift store for $0.25. The records must be pressed lead; literally the heaviest 33 RPM discs I've ever held in my life. It's built just like a book with a bound spine and cardboard sheathes for the records. It was released in the 60's and the records and binders are in absolutely horrible condition...maybe the worst shape I've ever seen records in that could still be played.

I used an old sacrificial stylus to encode them digitally just for the novelty of it. I revisited it tonight and now that I know Nah und Fern front to back, I was shocked by how much the beginning of the third movement sounded very Gas(sy) :rolleyes: I selected out the intro and crafted a reverbed kick drum reminiscent of the Gas series to add. Except for the kick, the sample is completely untouched--everything you hear is the sum total of artifacts from a 45 year old trashed record. It's truncated for looping so Choose Your Own Gas

yes plz to take pics of album cover, want to find!

mind = blown

I might have to sample this myself. I'll give credit if I do. Gorgeous lo-fi quality, and heartbreakingly beautiful strings.

Edited by ganus

mind = blown

I might have to sample this myself. I'll give credit if I do. Gorgeous lo-fi quality, and heartbreakingly beautiful strings.

It really is more than just the recording itself. It's the collisions of aged vinyl, grit and worn-out grooves with the stylus. It's also like a one-time piece of performance art because, believe me, playing all 3 records straight through was a violent process. My tone arm and cartridge visibly groaned and hopped against it--I definitely won't play them again!

I absolutely believe it. That's why if I sample, you are getting credit. This is a really well done (and sacrificial on your part) rip of a really unique record, in an un-replicatable condition.

Guest Deep Fried Everything

thanks so much!

It really is more than just the recording itself. It's the collisions of aged vinyl, grit and worn-out grooves with the stylus. It's also like a one-time piece of performance art because, believe me, playing all 3 records straight through was a violent process. My tone arm and cartridge visibly groaned and hopped against it--I definitely won't play them again!

i hope you cleaned the rekkids before playing them... but then again not cleaning would add to the unique quality of the recording (lol)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nowyouknow

is there anyone who has the two exlusive tracks from the konigforst vinyl in mp3..? i'm looking for it so pleeeease...

(it's my first post because i'm french and my english.........but i read a lot..)

Edited by nowyouknow

Guest Enter a new display name

is there anyone who has the two exlusive tracks from the konigforst vinyl in mp3..? i'm looking for it so pleeeease...

(it's my first post because i'm french and my english.........but i read a lot..)

N2qtj.gif

• 2 months later...

There has been a lot of speculation about what Voigt sampled for Gas. He made reference to Schlager, Bavarian folk, guitar treatments, etc. but nothing specific. I think this sample I stumbled on to is as likely as anything because the "Isle Of The Dead" (Die Toteninsel) painting by Böcklin is very famous in Germany. Freud had it in his office. I'm sure the accompanying tribute by Rachmaninoff was not a rare item in home record collections for someone of Voigt's age.

Since you guys liked the sample (kick or no), all 6 movements are below, PM me if they need re'upped. They are quite grim and really match the painting itself. I can't find anything online about the collection I have so I posted some pics. P.S. I'm no photographer so...

Isle Of The Dead

Re-up please?

There has been a lot of speculation about what Voigt sampled for Gas. He made reference to Schlager, Bavarian folk, guitar treatments, etc. but nothing specific. I think this sample I stumbled on to is as likely as anything because the "Isle Of The Dead" (Die Toteninsel) painting by Böcklin is very famous in Germany. Freud had it in his office. I'm sure the accompanying tribute by Rachmaninoff was not a rare item in home record collections for someone of Voigt's age.

Since you guys liked the sample (kick or no), all 6 movements are below, PM me if they need re'upped. They are quite grim and really match the painting itself. I can't find anything online about the collection I have so I posted some pics. P.S. I'm no photographer so...

Isle Of The Dead

Re-up please?

I grabbed this when it was posted and forgot to come back to comment...so I will now:

HOLY FUCK THIS WAS GREAT! THANKS XXX!

Guest spike

is the isle of the dead that xxx posted the rip from the funked up 45 year old vinyl??? would love to hear it! def recommend the Wolfgang Voigt REd BUll Music Academy Interview?

Guest Archrival

Thanks a lot xxx!!! Here's the Rebbull interview...really nice one

http://www.redbullmusicacademy.com/video-archive/lectures/wolfgang_voigt_gas_amp_killer/#

Thanks for the Dettinger tips! I heard him on all the "pop ambient" compilations but he never stood out, his album seems very nice tho!

Thanks for that track MellowU, very nice :D

And you all really have to check out Ulf Lohmann!!! Amazing music! The EP froxen field is out of this world!

Thanks a lot xxx!!! Here's the Rebbull interview...really nice one

http://www.redbullmusicacademy.com/video-archive/lectures/wolfgang_voigt_gas_amp_killer/#

Thanks for the Dettinger tips! I heard him on all the "pop ambient" compilations but he never stood out, his album seems very nice tho!

Thanks for that track MellowU, very nice :D

And you all really have to check out Ulf Lohmann!!! Amazing music! The EP froxen field is out of this world!

Cheers!

And I second the Dettinger thing: I've been totally addicted to him in the last year and managed recently to nab a copy of the Intershop CD on eBay for only $5. Everything the man has done is golden.

mrs. alcofribas got me koenigsforst on vinyl for xmas and i think that particular version is my favorite gas record. it really elevated the gas experience for me. definitely worth whatever ridiculous money she dropped on it.

mrs. alcofribas got me koenigsforst on vinyl for xmas and i think that particular version is my favorite gas record. it really elevated the gas experience for me. definitely worth whatever ridiculous money she dropped on it.

Your wife is awesome.