IGNORED

Metal Appreciation Thread!

Guest Al5x

I wish I could get back into metal. I dip my toe in every now and again, but I just can't seem to float my mind back to that perfect spot where it used to be. Maybe I'm just being nostalgic. I think electronic music always triggered the side of me which likes to daydream, to watch the sun come up or go down, whereas metal was the side of me that wants to smash the fucking place to pieces in a viking brawl. Dunno just thinking out loud....not sure I even have the energy for viking brawls anymore! anyway, but sometimes that carnage state of mind seemed more fun than drifting in an introverted opiate electronic haze. Maybe, maybe not...who knows. I think some of you may know what I mean.

Beerwolf over and out

Guest koolsamarkand

This link effectively ends the thread. There will never be a better song

Also i mostly agree with beerwolf. Most metal annoys the fuck out of me.

Edited by koolsamarkand

Guest koolsamarkand

i dont believe in rules

and indian is heavy as fuck me likey

Edited by koolsamarkand

I wish I could get back into metal. I dip my toe in every now and again, but I just can't seem to float my mind back to that perfect spot where it used to be. Maybe I'm just being nostalgic. I think electronic music always triggered the side of me which likes to daydream, to watch the sun come up or go down, whereas metal was the side of me that wants to smash the fucking place to pieces in a viking brawl. Dunno just thinking out loud....not sure I even have the energy for viking brawls anymore! anyway, but sometimes that carnage state of mind seemed more fun than drifting in an introverted opiate electronic haze. Maybe, maybe not...who knows. I think some of you may know what I mean.

Beerwolf over and out

yea, I was like that for a while, but I think my appreciation for metal now is a lot different than when I originally got into it. The textural/meditative styles of some post-metal bands got me back into it from the point of view of listening to electronic music, but I ended up getting into the fast stuff too.. I guess it's why I like my metal to be more melodic/well written rather than just pure aggression/speed.

Edited by modey

Also i mostly agree with beerwolf.

bad idea, you wanna shelve that notion :wink:

Have to disagree with you there beerwolf, I agreed with your post about having metal fatique so to speak :) it's mostly reduced to occult rock / doom metal stuff (and very rarely some black metal). That's also the only stuff I can handle seeing live, like Jex Thoth / Earth / Sunn O))) / YOB / Pallbearer / etc.

I used to be an avid follower of Fenriz's band of the week (suprising huh?) and his metal compilations but I really can't be arsed anymore (his new techno mixes are good though).

As far as the "smashing everything to bits" state of mind, I really lost that too but once in a blue moon I return to it, but not through metal, more with things like Big Black or Rudimentary Peni. Just normal evolution I guess :)

Lento sound wicked! \m/

I still listen to metal often, but definitely in phases and with refinement from what I used to, although I still listen to plenty of the metal I listened to as a hatchling. And seeing as I've just bought lots of Nile + Triptykon, I don't think I'm getting any less slower or fierce with my tastes in age. John Peel would be proud. :catsalute:

I can't get into Doom or Stoner stuff no matter what I do. So sad.

A lot of it is horribly generic. The same Sabbath/Kyuss style riffs played with the same tone.

Torche are one of the few bands who are doing something interesting with the sound, imo.

A lot of it is horribly generic. The same Sabbath/Kyuss style riffs played with the same tone.

Torche are one of the few bands who are doing something interesting with the sound, imo.

I'm not familiar with them, but that's awesome.

Mastodon went pop too, but in a lame rocky sort of way. The media was right: they really WERE the new Metallica! Wish them well on future successes etc.

Also I'm seeing a lot of folks who seem to have forgotten how to be metal. If you are one of these people, perhaps you do what Dave Hill is doing and take lessons from Phil Anselmo.

In fact, let's just ALL of us take lessons from him.

[youtubehd]jJX-CJyAY0E[/youtubehd]

the funniest bit is 4:45 as they walk around the pentagram imo

Speaking of Mastodon, has anyone heard these guys? It's Troy Sanders plus Greg Puciato (Dillinger Escape Plan), Max Cavalera, and Dave Elitch (ex-Mars Volta).

It's cool because there are three lead vocalists. It gets a bit predictable here and there (ie. it's easy to tell who wrote each part) but it's a pretty excellent album imo.

Sleep

Earth

if you can't get into those two, then there really is no hope for it and it's probably just not your thing.