IGNORED

Metal Appreciation Thread!

Guest Al5x

After years of avoiding them due to overkill inflicted on me by my brother, I am listening to Master of Puppets by Metallica, to undo the damage done by excessive listening as a youth. Will return a verdict later.

Prediction: headbanging and nostalgia.

I'll always have time for Metallica. They were really amazing in the 80s, and awesome in a different way in the 90s (imo), kinda terrible in the 00s, but then Death Magnetic kinda redeemed them a little—I think Trujillo has really boosted their energy since he joined the band. He's got a lot of great ideas and just seems like a really cool guy. I'm legitimately looking forward to what they put out in the future; even the 4 'b-side' tracks on the Beyond Magnetic EP were nice and proggy.

I don't think any thrash band ever got close to the prog-metal style of Puppets/Justice. I've had many arguments with people about how Metallica aren't a pure thrash band.. but why do they need to be pure thrash when their prog elements are so fucking good?

Edited by modey

Verdict: Good shit, as I expect. Seems so slow now, compared to the speedy metal nowadays, but of course this is to be expected. 10/10

Also I think if you hooked Hetfield up with a good producer who would coax a good calmer voice out of him he would make a swell country album. Plenty of songs on Load/Reload had that vibe and he did it well.

Verdict: Good shit, as I expect. Seems so slow now, compared to the speedy metal nowadays, but of course this is to be expected. 10/10

Also I think if you hooked Hetfield up with a good producer who would coax a good calmer voice out of him he would make a swell country album. Plenty of songs on Load/Reload had that vibe and he did it well.

something more akin to this but with his mellower voice, this album got hate because it was barely metallica and such, but this tune was alright.

Edited by ghOsty

YEah I think there was good stuff in there. Would have worked better not as a Metallica double album fleecing drive.

MeSugar, a cover of Meshuggah with sugar products as rhythm section:

[youtubehd]Ggb8Yet8uMQ[/youtubehd]

• 1 month later...

as some1 who hasnt bought a metal album since 1987 could any of yous cunts recommend 5/6 albums made since 2000-ish worth a listen?

i'm so out the loop, but heavier the chuggier the better (not necessarily slow drone doe)

https://youtu.be/JBmfasN6sts

?

as some1 who hasnt bought a metal album since 1987 could any of yous cunts recommend 5/6 albums made since 2000-ish worth a listen?

i'm so out the loop, but heavier the chuggier the better (not necessarily slow drone doe)

nile - in their darkened shrines

that i'll keep you happy for quite a while you old fart

nile - in their darkened shrines

that i'll keep you happy for quite a while you old fart

I'd go with Black Seeds of Vengence, though.

its a funny thing, how immersed in a sound you can be and then some kind of change occurs, more acid? fuck knows

down-tuned power chord chuggattaq doe, its still a complete foundation musically on some level i never fully understood but chased relentlessly, thru diff amps, pedals, combos (of anything you could afford).....and then slowly the machines took over

you could do a super nerdy "here's 25 classic guitarist sounds/gear-wise etc" prob on u-tub already, maaaaaaaaaaaaan i might have to buy a bass again

Yeah, I have to agree. That is, if they didn't have a 'no side projects' rule..

Hetfield: I've got a few of these... a.... acoustic country style songs happening and I'm gonna record a solo album.

Hetfield: Oh really? So like, what are you gonna do with them? You gonna tour this thing? You gonna start selling fuckin' T-shirts??!!

Hetfield: Well I just... there's some downtime and I need to do this.

Hetfield: You know what? No. No you're not. *phones Rick Rubin*

Hetfield: Seriously? After all we've been through?

Anyway, here's my thread contribution:

i also recommand gorerotted - mutilated in minutes

not the huge challenge that nile albums are, but it's a superfun 10/10 album

the drummer is a friggin woodchopper on meth and the guitarriffs are just tank heavy, ultracrisp vocals with hilarious lyrics, worth checking out!

i also recommand gorerotted - mutilated in minutes

not the huge challenge that nile albums are, but it's a superfun 10/10 album

the drummer is a friggin woodchopper on meth and the guitarriffs are just tank heavy, ultracrisp vocals with hilarious lyrics, worth checking out!

8805.jpg