IGNORED

SuperCollider

soundwave

Thanks for this thread! I always used to like CSound but never got into SC for some reason. Just installed it and so far I'm having way more fun with it than I ever have when I revisit CSound. Max/MSP and PD feel kind of clunky in comparison to me, like they're low-level enough that having the graphical patching interface makes things more complicated than just typing some text, rather than making them simpler. I love patching style software when the overall paradigm is more of a "deep, low level modular synth" concept like Reaktor or Usine or Buzz or Kyma (oh to be able to own a Kyma, I never got to use it enough when I had accesss to an old one in college), but Max and PD are really programming languages with a graphical interface, and I feel like that makes them LESS intuitive in the long run, plus it takes a lot longer to patch together a bunch of operators than it does to type a couple lines of code. Not that I'm an expert in either by any stretch o the imagination, I'm still mainly a hardware + DAW sort of person.

I guess what I'm saying is don't be put off by the initial learning curve, becasue if you're anything like me once you get your brain in the right spot it's actually a lot faster and more intuitive than Max. It's essentially the same thing with a simpler interface.

I feel the same, i'm mainly a reaktor user in regards of patching and building dsp stuff. PD and max always felt wrong in a way to me. Supercollider on the other hand seams to be fairly strait forward, at least the stuff in the tutorial videos here. So i might dig into SC in the next months a bit deeper.

It feels like trying to build an analog synthesizer with Snap Circuits.

Well not quite that bad, but you probably know what I mean.

EDIT: I went through the same thing with VVVV last year. It's obviously really powerful software with a huge amount of potential, but having to think like a programmer (which I'm not) but work in a GUI that's more like a modular synth jsut messed with my brain. I can do one or the other.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interessting, thx for linking the tutorial videos.

Question: Would it be possible to write a supercollider script that reads content of a random thread on this forums and generate a composition out of it.

We could auto generate tons of releases and form a own label around it that beats warp.

( //z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z

s.waitForBoot{{

var d= Document.allDocuments.choose.front,

c, i= 0, j= 1, k= 1,

syn= {|f, o| SinOsc.ar(f*[1, 1.01], LPF.ar(LFSaw.ar(f, 0, o), 80))}.play;

0.5.wait;

i=

loop{

d.selectRange(i.div(2)%d.string.size, i%2); c= d.selectedText[0];

syn.set(\f, 99*k+c.ascii, \o, i%(d.string.size*2)/d.string.size*99);

i= i+j;

if("%&@".includes©, {i= i-[8, 4, -1].choose});

if("(){}.,:".includes©, {j= [-1, 1, 0.25, 1/3, 3]@@i});

if(c==$\n, {k= [1, 1.06, 0.5]@@i});

(1/40).wait

}

}

.fork(AppClock)

}

) //Question: Would it be possible to write a supercollider script that reads content of a random thread on this forums and generate a composition out of it.

We could auto generate tons of releases and form a own label around it that beats warp. z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z

// f0 // March 17th 2007

Interessting, thx for linking the tutorial videos.

Question: Would it be possible to write a supercollider script that reads content of a random thread on this forums and generate a composition out of it.

We could auto generate tons of releases and form a own label around it that beats warp.

( //z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z

s.waitForBoot{{

c, i= 0, j= 1, k= 1,

0.5.wait;

i=

loop{

syn.set(\f, 99*k+c.ascii, \o, i%(d.string.size*2)/d.string.size*99);

i= i+j;

if("%&@".includes©, {i= i-[8, 4, -1].choose});

if("(){}.,:".includes©, {j= [-1, 1, 0.25, 1/3, 3]@@i});

if(c==$\n, {k= [1, 1.06, 0.5]@@i});

(1/40).wait

}

}

.fork(AppClock)

}

) //Question: Would it be possible to write a supercollider script that reads content of a random thread on this forums and generate a composition out of it.

We could auto generate tons of releases and form a own label around it that beats warp. z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z

// f0 // March 17th 2007

ERROR: Message 'front' not understood.

RECEIVER:

nil

ARGS:

PROTECTED CALL STACK:

Meta_MethodError:new 051ECCA0

arg this = DoesNotUnderstandError

arg what = nil

arg receiver = nil

Meta_DoesNotUnderstandError:new 051EDE60

arg this = DoesNotUnderstandError

arg receiver = nil

arg selector = front

arg args = [ ]

Object:doesNotUnderstand 048E5620

arg this = nil

arg selector = front

arg args = nil

a FunctionDef 05ED1730

sourceCode = "{

c, i= 0, j= 1, k= 1,

0.5.wait;

i=

loop{

syn.set(\\f, 99*k+c.ascii, \\o, i%(d.string.size*2)/d.string.size*99);

...etc..."

var d = nil

var c = nil

var i = 0

var j = 1

var k = 1

var syn = nil

Routine:prStart 04D4E7A0

arg this = a Routine

arg inval = 1437959731.5898

CALL STACK:

DoesNotUnderstandError:reportError 0x58f3930

arg this = <instance of DoesNotUnderstandError>

< closed FunctionDef > 0x5df6b90

arg error = <instance of DoesNotUnderstandError>

Integer:forBy 0x5ed08b0

arg this = 0

arg endval = 0

arg stepval = 2

arg function = <instance of Function>

var i = 0

var j = 0

SequenceableCollection:pairsDo 0x5a7f6d0

arg this = [*2]

arg function = <instance of Function>

Scheduler:seconds_ 0x53c4250

arg this = <instance of Scheduler>

arg newSeconds = 1437959731.5898

Meta_AppClock:tick 0x55fecb0

arg this = <instance of Meta_AppClock>

var saveClock = <instance of Meta_SystemClock>

Process:tick 0x5ad1a50

arg this = <instance of Main>

^^ The preceding error dump is for ERROR: Message 'front' not understood.

RECEIVER: nil

I'd love to se somebody get this running on an Intel Galileo. It's been done with PD and CSound but I haven'tfound any discussion about doing it with SC.

I've got to concentrate on the Axoloti right now or I'd try it.

i like the 3.4 version ppc. simpler. more like the old version. but most new classes work fine. all these ports imo suck. i installed sc on a new pc and it did not sound as good, was awkward to handle.. stick w/ mac with sc. get an old ppc G5 like mine. they are cheap now.

i have a zip of the sc plugins that work in that ppc version. theres an FM7 :-)

i tried sc years ago and i went at it wrong. i wanted to make a renoise or something. better to keep it simple. take it slow. you can do so much with very little code.

• 2 weeks later...

i dont know why supercollider hasnt had an audiomulch style gui created to just string together synthdefs and jit sequencers or anything that is an object

sc sounds so good too

Do people still do SuperCollider tweets? That always seemed like such a sweet idea to me. How tricky would it be to make, like, beats in SC in 140 chars?

this is one of my favs. made by batuhan bozkurt. amaze! pure raster noton stuff

play{AllpassC.ar(SinOsc.ar(55).tanh,0.4,TExpRand.ar(2e-4, 0.4,Impulse.ar(8)).round([2e-3,4e-3]),2)};

Do people still do SuperCollider tweets? That always seemed like such a sweet idea to me. How tricky would it be to make, like, beats in SC in 140 chars?

this is one of my favs. made by batuhan bozkurt. amaze! pure raster noton stuff

play{AllpassC.ar(SinOsc.ar(55).tanh,0.4,TExpRand.ar(2e-4, 0.4,Impulse.ar(8)).round([2e-3,4e-3]),2)};

Hey, that is pretty sweet :)

• 8 months later...

Archived