IGNORED

krYlon

Guest themutableone

sweepstakes I'm so sorry that your opinion is so wrong! :)

krYlon really is amazing, probably the best track on the album. Need to listen to this again, it's been like a month or two.

Haha, fair enough. I really, really don't get this one in a big way though. It's weird because it seems like it's just me... and I adore just about everything else they've done.

With oversteps the treasure isn't chests scattered around deep underground, it's little rings and gems hidden in the sand in plain view

That might be exactly what leaves me underwhelmed. Autechre has spoiled me with riddles to work at every listen.

I listen to krYlon and I'm like... ok? Is that it? It's not even pretty to me - it has the trappings of prettiness without much actual beauty.

I do love redfall and Yuop, though, and I don't think the flow would be messed up too bad if I just hopped over krYlon :D

This reminded me that I need to remind myself to listen to Move of Ten again ... All that's retained within my neural net is some kind of noodling in the middle and dopecrushing percussion on the closing track.

Move of Ten is another story, though. There's definitely some duds on that one but when it goes, it goes hard.

The opener in particular I thought was one of the stupidest things they'd ever done when I first heard it and now I think it's one of their best openers. It's so ruthless and over the top and it foreshadowed a lot of the most recent work.

The closer, though. is like the boneheaded cousin of newbound. Where newbound is like a rebirth in the cosmos, the end of MoT is more like a drunk preacher spouting a bunch of grandiose bullshit.

I do love redfall and Yuop, though, and I don't think the flow would be messed up too bad if I just hopped over krYlon :D

I concur, the album was finally becoming hot with d-sho qub choral treatment at the end, then st epreo to make things even kinda groovy after all, then redfall, while not picture-perfect, introduced that uberkool metallic buzz and then came a major fuck off in the form of krYlon. Yuop lost half its power coz of it (and another quarter was lost thanks to reverbastardization of ae sound since Quaristice).

The closer, though. is like the boneheaded cousin of newbound. Where newbound is like a rebirth in the cosmos, the end of MoT is more like a drunk preacher spouting a bunch of grandiose bullshit.

lol! I love that track, but I can totally see the drunk preacher analogy. With those melodramatic swells. I think that's why I like it so much, it's like an unabashedly epic good vs evil showdown song. And you gotta love that scratchy percussion.

As for krylon, I think it's just ok. Not my favorite, but not bad. I really love Oversteps though, it's probably my 2nd or 3rd favorite album of theirs.

This remains a favorite oversteps track. I actually made a video for it around when oversteps came out. I was taking a few classes in the summer semester and generally having a chill time in my small college town. This track captured the relaxed, wandering mood. I was also reading a lot of buddhist stuff at the time and that made its way into the video, haha

But yeah, top notch ambient (or not even really?) autechre imo

But yeah, top notch ambient (or not even really?) autechre imo

People overuse the word ambient, the initial idea behind ambient (it goes at least as far as to Erik Satie as a theatrical concept) was that it doesn't demand your attention at all, it's the sound equivalent of a wallpaper, a flow of mediocre sounds that changes just enough to not be bothered by it. The concept failed, people cared nonetheless. It developed into some kind of muddy sentimental minimalism.

Anyway, i wouldn't associate krYlon or much of Oversteps with ambient. Quaristice has much more to do with it - Altibzz, Paralel Suns, notwo etc

lol completely agree with amen lare. stars of the lid and tim fucking hecker being the most egregious offenders.

To be fair, they probably just saw themselves as musicians, its more the role of journalists that lumped them into being presented as "ambient" producers

Archived