IGNORED

Tom's pretentious essay on machines and music

Boxus

Guest Calx Sherbet

Does anyone want to take a stab at what Tom's getting at in the 'F-Train' lyrics posted above? It's pretty dense stuff; most of which is beyond my vocabulary.

If not the whole thing, what about just the chorus(?):

axis discrepancy indicates hexagons beyond control anomaly

mutilation colony reflects no triangular energy

asynchronous matter avoided by a diagram invisibility

subtle methods symmetry uncovered a diagonal telemetry

i love overly technical lyrics that don't make sense. i thought 50 cycles was a stroke of genious

• 2 months later...
Guest kxta

there's a mix by edmx & ceephax when ceephax does this ridiculous rap - i always thought that was him having a smirk about his bro's serious side

One could suggest using "do dee do" type vocal sounds' date=' but I hate the sound of people singing "do dee do". It makes me want to throw the record player out of the window.

[/quote']

lol.

The lyrics to these pieces (My Red Hot Car and DYKS) are simply devices through which to involve a human voice in composition; the lyrics are completely crass on purpose so that attention is not deflected away from sound texture to questions of semantics. One could suggest using "do dee do" type vocal sounds' date=' but I hate the sound of people singing "do dee do". It makes me want to throw the record player out of the window.

It would be misleading to tell you these lyrics because they have no intentional meaning. It could be argued that the author is not the sole progenitor of meaning in a text and that a recipient is just as priveledged in terms of deciding the meaning of a text. To which I would reply that post structuralism itself only makes any sense if your attention is sufficiently diverted by an atmosphere incorporating >547 ppm "Gitane" smoke -if this was the case when you asked the question, you will now presumably be more concerned by the onset of various respiratory ailments and hence not be reading this increasingly unfunny answer.[/quote']

oh no he didn't

• 2 weeks later...

"

It would be misleading to tell you these lyrics because they have no intentional meaning. It could be argued that the author is not the sole progenitor of meaning in a text and that a recipient is just as priveledged in terms of deciding the meaning of a text. To which I would reply that post structuralism itself only makes any sense if your attention is sufficiently diverted by an atmosphere incorporating >547 ppm "Gitane" smoke -if this was the case when you asked the question, you will now presumably be more concerned by the onset of various respiratory ailments and hence not be reading this increasingly unfunny answer."

this paragraph makes me want to throw my record player out the window.

• 1 year later...
Guest capitan mission

I think similar things about the tools and the music, I dont find that thinking pretentious. But the complex paragraphs are

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

So in a way, he writes like he makes music. Or made music. Now that he dropped lots of his pretentiousness.

Also, he prolly didn't give a rats ass whether or not his point comes across. Just like with his tunes?

Don't forget, he managed to answer a question about granny smith apples pretentiously in the BBC interview thing.

I think that was the fan question. Can't find that interview anymore.

Edited by vasio

Guest cult fiction

music is for making and for listening to, not talking about. as soon as you start analysing it you kill it, like dissecting a frog.

29_WATMM_Classic.png

• 8 years later...