IGNORED

Mouse on Mars Official Thread Imaginary Subforum

vamos scorcho

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like how Iaora Tahiti has a really tropical feel, very relaxing. One thing that I noticed while listening to that album was that most tracks sounded VERY similar to each other. Consistency is great but that group of songs followed each other a little too closely

Full confession: I always ignored Mouse on Mars because for some reason I got it in my head that they were some kind of lame post rock band.

Now that I'm listening to them I'm kicking myself for not giving them a chance long ago. They are excellent.

Guest rocksucker

I had the honour of getting to speak to Jan St Werner last week. Gave a great interview too - talks about the new album Parastrophics and says that after that's released they'll go about trying to commit Paeanumnion (their live performance piece with the musikFabrik orchestra) to record. Oh aye, and he hopes to do another Von Sudenfed record, but Lithops is now no more...

http://jonnyabrams.blogspot.com/2011/11/interview-mouse-on-mars.html

Going to see them perform Paeanumnion at the Barbican in London tonight. Can't wait!

Hope you enjoy reading,

Jonny

I had the honour of getting to speak to Jan St Werner last week. Gave a great interview too - talks about the new album Parastrophics and says that after that's released they'll go about trying to commit Paeanumnion (their live performance piece with the musikFabrik orchestra) to record. Oh aye, and he hopes to do another Von Sudenfed record, but Lithops is now no more...

http://jonnyabrams.b...se-on-mars.html

Going to see them perform Paeanumnion at the Barbican in London tonight. Can't wait!

Hope you enjoy reading,

Jonny

Great interview, cheers.

I beginning to think I'm the only MoM fan out here that thought the Von Sudenfed project was complete rubbish

The recent audiobook soundtrack is an odd one too, still trying to wrap me head around it...

I liked Von Sudenfed well enough. I didn't find it terrible, nor did I find it all that great. I pretty much feel it's on the same level as the Lithops albums, nothing I will listen to often but when I do it's enjoyable. I'm kind of glad he's done with Lithops, might be a sign that more time will be put back into MoM.

I found a cheap ass copy of Varcharz on record at the local store, it's great.

http://jonnyabrams.b...se-on-mars.html

Hope you enjoy reading,

Jonny

nice! great interview, good to finally hear some definite info about the new album. this is the upcoming release i'm most excited about by far.

anybody else heard the performance of "Actionist Respoke" on the Live 04 album?

Because it's the greatest 6 minutes of music I think in all of existence. No joke. That performance might have killed everyone in the audience, sent them to the sky. Check it out if you haven't heard it. It's track 8, on spotify for some reason its labeled 'Frosch'

Yes, idiology is probably my fav album from 00-10 as well. and that's saying an awful lot, esp. considering how awesome 2001 alone was.

And yes, live actionist respoke is insane. I just wish they would release a live album of earlier stuff like from 1997

Promo text, tracklist and first snippet from the new album emerges :)

http://soundcloud.com/modeselektor/mouse-on-mars-chordblocker

Over the course of ten albums - not to mention an avalanche of side projects, remixes and collaborations - Jan St Werner and Andi Toma of Mouse On Mars established themselves as two of the most inventive and unpredictable artists in electronic music. But since they delivered the bracing, angular salvo that was Varcharz back in 2006, there has been an uncharacteristic period of silence.

In 2012, that silence is broken. Mouse On Mars' triumphant return comes in the shape of Parastrophics, a life-affirming and constantly surprising album which is crammed with ideas, exuberance and sheer kinetic energy. It's like listening to the entire history of pop music distilled, refined and crystallized into a string of compulsive new shapes, full of glitter, intrigue and addictive detail. Atomised fragments from two lifetimes of listening flare and fade, tiny scraps of memory shrapnel hover, tantalizing and insubstantial, before being whisked away by the next impatient idea. But despite all that restless curiosity, Parastrophics also demonstrates a peerless command of pace. Whereas some previous Mouse On Mars releases have bordered on the frenetic, their latest displays a subtle but persuasive sense of control. Even when tempos climb, 303s squirm and kick / snare patterns snap to brisk attention, there's an elegance to the way that each element slips in and out of the mix which speaks, whisper it, of maturity. Parastrophics is as a playful as ever, but it's never throwaway. The closing track „Seaqz“ is a gorgeous slice of space-age mood music, measured in tone despite all its microscopic activity, and it brings into focus the beguiling sense of confidence that suffuses the whole record. All of which is a roundabout way of saying that, after six years away, Mouse On Mars have come back with their best record yet.

Tracklisting:

01. the beach stop (ISRC Code: DEOE81100181)

02. chordblocker, cinnamon toasted (ISRC Code: DEOE81100182)

03. metrotopy (ISRC Code: DEOE81100183)

04. wienuss (ISRC Code: DEOE81100184)

05. they know your name (ISRC Code: DEOE81100185)

06. syncropticians (ISRC Code: DEOE81100186)

07. cricket (ISRC Code: DEOE81100187)

08. imatch (ISRC Code: DEOE81100188)

09. polaroyced (ISRC Code: DEOE81100189)

10. gearknot cherry (ISRC Code: DEOE81100190)

11. bruised to imwimper (ISRC Code: DEOE81100191)

12. baku hipster (ISRC Code: DEOE81100192)

13. seaqz (ISRC Code: DEOE81100193)

• 4 weeks later...

Radical Connector and much of their music benefits a great deal when you hear it in full quality. That isn't to say that the music is useless without good equipment, vinyl, or lossless.. just that I think much of it depends on hearing - PERCEIVING - the details. I sat down tonight and for the first time listened to Radical Connector not as a pop/rock album... but as if it were simply an extension of Idiology. When heard from a perspective such as that, it is a much more enjoyable piece of music. Also, Instrumentals is up there with their very best.

Radical Connector and much of their music benefits a great deal when you hear it in full quality. That isn't to say that the music is useless without good equipment, vinyl, or lossless.. just that I think much of it depends on hearing - PERCEIVING - the details.

especially when you are listening to a band like MoM that obviously puts so much effort into those details

i've been reevaluating radical connector over the last few weeks and i have to say it is pretty damn good. it's weird that what on the surface level is their most "pop" record has been the longest one to sink in for me. i remember reading an interview with jan where he said he groups RC/idiology together vs the rest of their albums, as being very "digital sounding". Anyways I think radical connector is like a fascinating glimpse of what pop music could have become if producers put all their fancy 21st century technology to use...

more Parastrophics samples up at soundcloud. i was not too into the chordblocker clip but these ones sound really fresh, especially "metrotopy", which has one of the best snare-clap sounds ive ever heard. EXCITEMENT RENEWED and going strong!

http://soundcloud.com/modeselektor/mouse-on-mars-metrotopy

http://soundcloud.com/modeselektor/mouse-on-mars-wienuss

Archived