IGNORED

Mouse on Mars Official Thread Imaginary Subforum

vamos scorcho

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ great interview, cheers :beer:

JSW: But in the end, it doesn't matter. That's the great thing about music. Music is so patient, so free, so gracious. There is nothing right or wrong about music. It's really the perfect field for what we do, because whatever ambition we have and whatever misunderstanding leads to the actual production of something, it doesn't matter. It doesn't harm anyone. And if you do it with your heart, if you do it with confidence, you find people who share it with you.

I love these guys

• 1 month later...

I put Autoditacker on today. Jesus did I forget how fucking incredible that album is. Wow. Possibly one of the chillest records considering how immaculately dense every track is.

for my money Idiology took their music into the most abstract realms. it pushes the sound into a series of song structures and hybrids on the ideas they presented on the previous albums. its somehow their most "solid" and complete release, their most sonically mature, and their most conceptual. every track on autoditacker and niun niggung is totally different, exploring different ideas but still has a cohesion tied to the album as a whole.

i think idiology steps even further away from that cohesion and for a brief moment enters a territory that seemed inconceivable. by the time its over theres no way back into it. i get the same feeling from all their music but I feel like Idiology really was the moment when they achieved their goals that they had slowly been discovering over the ten years prior

that's a lot of pretentious stuff i just wrote, but i dig it anyway. autoditacker is my favorite, to the grave.

I put Autoditacker on today. Jesus did I forget how fucking incredible that album is. Wow. Possibly one of the chillest records considering how immaculately dense every track is.

You know it, Autoditacker just gets better and better every time I listen to it.

also: can you guys make me like idiology? (besides catching butterflies with hands)

Start with the first track. Actionist respoke.I think this track is a landmark statement from Mouse on Mars. It seems to be sort of anthemic for them (as judged by the frequency with which they whip it out at live shows; see the video above. It marks a transition from the bloopy organic sounds they mastered on Niun Niggung to the harsher sounds of Idiology, RC, and Varcharz).It's got some sublime transition moments, and the pacing reminds me in certain respects of the tuss's finest. It's just so freaking funky (and it has an important take-home message too. I am just what you say you to! Damn) going full hip hop, they pull out all the stops. And that's just the first track. Introduce is another good example of this insanely funky beat deconstruction where they let it groove for a few seconds, tear it apart for 1/2 second and then rebuild it again on the fly without losing the moment. this is some seriously trippy shit because the rhythm is alive and the rest of the track blends in with, is spawned from, and interweaves with the beat in such a way that its really pointless to try to single out individual layers.

Listen to Doit. Starts off with this weird-ass bouncy beat and this robotic voice that says....doit. doit. yeah. dewt. doit. you. (or something). By about 50 seconds the mindfuck has already begun, because somehow they slipped in about a dozen other layers in there that you already missed, and your brain has just noticed them (the fourth plateau of mouse on mars). and then at 1:20 they throw you a bone with these playful horns and cymbals and guitar (basically a machine elf mariachi band), and then Dodo starts singing, then at 1:50 he stops and this ridiculous acid line takes over along with about 5 background samples in sequence (hey, have 1.5 seconds of musique concrete at 2:12!), that drops out and at 2:16 we have our mariachi band back. this may sound like hell but IT WORKS, and I can't think of anyone who could pull that off so well.

Listen to The Ilking. Jesus Christ. This is one of the most moving pieces of music I have ever heard. I don't have much to say about it, really. Paradicals is another beautiful, moving track where you you don't know how to categorize this absurd song based around a clanging percussive backbone, but it turns into something downright symphonic. gives me chills every time.

Time is money, and I'm not made of money, so I'll cut it off by saying that I could offer really personal notes about every track. At times, Idiology is MoM and their most serious, and at other times, Idiology is MoM at their most playful (so pretty damn). It's the pinnacle of everything that is Mouse on Mars.

you know, "trippy" is a great word for a lot of the work they do. interestingly you read some postmodern philosophy and they are unqilling to shy away from musrhooms, mescaline. these things no longer become taboo or "hippy" well. we can arange words based on music though MOM avoids categorization. it's built into their DNA. quite frankly i think it's astounding and any musicians after are going to build off of what they began.

i honeslty blieve its that important. i mean wwe have the net and we neglect the possiblitles to do some other stuff. instead we do what we do in life instead of being poets. why not be poets? the word is not our speech. i think the grand mistake of the past ten years is to "be ourselves" or "speeal like we do alive!"

so now, i think idology my favorite Track is "Fantastic Analysis." ll, I can certainly it never was in the first place but now it is.

the live versions of "Actionist Respoke" are incredible. "Subsequence" for me is probably the one where I'm most in awe that the sounds are actually being made. I think what's most important about Idiology for me, and I say this not considering it my favorite album of theirs but the one which probably has taught me the most musically.... is that it really just takes the concepts, musical and psychological, to the furthest realms we've seen in our world. And it can only go on from there. Idiology was the end of MOM, everything after that was a new consideration but Idiology was the culmination. That's no big deal because, I say this completely sincerely, and I have to: I think it is the most "avant garde" thing we have so far. Anything truly avant garde today would come off of it. Avant-garde being truly new, evolving off of the past. I guess that's ironic because the album denies metanarratives while creating them. It's just unfortunately that more haven't learned from their lesson, to combine, morph, and multiply.

Time is money, and I'm not made of money, so I'll cut it off by saying that I could offer really personal notes about every track. At times, Idiology is MoM and their most serious, and at other times, Idiology is MoM at their most playful (so pretty damn). It's the pinnacle of everything that is Mouse on Mars.

Great post - I like your analysis of Doit especially, that track is an all-time favorite for me, it fuckin blows me away how something can be that funky, and that wild and twisted and intricate all at once.

Idiology is definitely my favorite album of theirs. I love the juxtaposition between the IDM-funk of tracks like Subsequence and Actionist, and the cinematic wonder of excursions like The Illking and Fantastic Analysis. It's like drukqs in that way - one track will pummel you with beats and another will wash it away with gorgeous instrumentation. (I actually think this album is better than drukqs but I shouldn't go talkin apples and oranges).

Fantastic Analysis is one of my favorites too. It ends the album on an absolutely blissful, serene note. It's one of the most genuinely emotive tracks in the world for me. Somehow it evokes intense joy and wonder without ever sounding cheesy.

why the fuck don't more people around here like these guys? clark over MoM??? just ayin..

Not for me, MoM is 20 spots above Clark!

Autoditacker and Idiology and now, Parastrophics are some of my favorite albums. I put autoditacker up with albums like Hard Normal Daddy and other classics.

I think it is the most "avant garde" thing we have so far. Anything truly avant garde today would come off of it. Avant-garde being truly new, evolving off of the past. I guess that's ironic because the album denies metanarratives while creating them. It's just unfortunately that more haven't learned from their lesson, to combine, morph, and multiply.

Listening to it again today, I realized that there's a lot of truth to this statement. With Idiology we have something genuinely new. I cannot really say what it is an expression of. Like you say, it creates new narratives, although it does so in an apparently innocuous way. But it's really a very dangerous album, in a good way of course.

Archived