IGNORED

Reality Check

Joyrex

joyrex how much of the money you get from donations is spent on things that dont have anything to do with the site?

100% goes towards the site - that's the whole point of me posting this, isn't it?

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's like when my students e-mail me, "You say that papers should not exceed eight pages. Is it okay if my paper is 10 pages long?" ...

If I ever decide to pull the plug on WATMM, I wouldn't do it quickly - it would come with advance warning, and with good reason. And there's nothing to say I wouldn't turn it over to someone else willing to take on the responsibility.

I don't mean to be contrary but I seem to remember a time not too long back when you said you wouldn't give WATMM to anyone else. It dies with you, kind of thing.

AH! You're right! I forgot I can't change my mind, or that plans change... damn you, life!!! never allowing me to do what I want when I want to!!!! :emotawesomepm9:

In all seriousness though, re-read what I said - I said there was nothing to say I wouldn't consider that.

Blogging is part of an EKT/EKT Plus membership, and while not as great as say setting up your own Wordpress blog or using Blogger, you get the benefit of a captive, ready-made audience, which is the whole point of running a blog - for people to see and read it.

tbh i have not once looked at any of the ekt blogs. at all.

until now. i just went and had a look and i mean... i dunno. with wordpress or blogger (or even tumblr) you have a stylesheet to mess with, and other bloggers that can actually interact with you and i dunno, other stuff.

i just don't see the draw.

but im not ekt so w/e.

The blogs here I think allow personalization... I just honestly hadn't the time of late to set all that up... and you can interact with both internal and external blogs...

There's at least a few people in chatmm virtually all day, so I think it's worthwhile to have around. The live user counter in the site header is really effective at getting people in there, would be time consuming to duplicate that feature with just regular IRC (which I set up before, but no one used).

fond memories of when mcgriff purchased a banner that basically said bacon was delicious over on xlt for a month.

yes. this actually happened. watmm definitely used be better.

this might not be a bad fundraising idea. a banner people can rent to put retarded/inside jokey stuff on.

I'm hesitant on that for that very fact! There's a fine line between "bacon - fo shizzle!" and "pedobear bedtime stories, volume one (illustrated)", even if both are done as a joke.

Well, you or Chaos could approve the ad/image before you post it. I really think it would work.

It's not a bad idea, I like it more than running a fully open, commercial-style banner program. In its simplest form, just manually approve the image via PM, accept PayPal, and insert the linked image in the front page template. Maybe make an ad box over the right (like the "donate" or "recent blogs" one) so it doesn't push the forum list down.

Guest Deep Fried Everything

It's not a bad idea, I like it more than running a fully open, commercial-style banner program. In its simplest form, just manually approve the image via PM, accept PayPal, and insert the linked image in the front page template. Maybe make a box over the right, like the "recent blogs" one, so it doesn't push the forum list down.

indeed, good sir, indeed.. of course the image would be approved. this seems an obvious (and easy) source of revenue with negligible bandwidth effects.

joyrex how much of the money you get from donations is spent on things that dont have anything to do with the site?

100% goes towards the site - that's the whole point of me posting this, isn't it?

Dear grimsby FC players(i mean watmm genbanrz);

One thing i've always found odd with this forum. Is that the further you get into a thread, with the same participants present the whole way mind you. The less some of these people remember the particulars of the OP that triggered it, or whatever clarifying statement that came along to clear up whatever misconception might have been going round.

Is it just that some members have very poor attention spans/memories. Or, is this done on purpose to be contentious, or perhaps create the illusion for the casual viewer of the thread that there may be some debate about the matter at hand? This dysfunction does seem to be unique to some users, this ability to fall into the same toilet flush of a circuitous argument.

This is very frustrating for me. As it then encourages needless sniping and whining in the casual poster that of course hasn't read the either the clarification or the OP. They are left with a feeling of being wronged when there is no reason for this.

----

yours sincerely;

dleetr.

Dear grimsby FC players(i mean watmm genbanrz);

One thing i've always found odd with this forum. Is that the further you get into a thread, with the same participants present the whole way mind you. The less some of these people remember the particulars of the OP that triggered it, or whatever clarifying statement that came along to clear up whatever misconception might have been going round.

Is it just that some members have very poor attention spans/memories. Or, is this done on purpose to be contentious, or perhaps create the illusion for the casual viewer of the thread that there may be some debate about the matter at hand? This dysfunction does seem to be unique to some users, this ability to fall into the same toilet flush of a circuitous argument.

This is very frustrating for me. As it then encourages needless sniping and whining in the casual poster that of course hasn't read the either the clarification or the OP. They are left with a feeling of being wronged when there is no reason for this.

----

yours sincerely;

dleetr.

tbh i only skimmed the original post.

i've never said rude things about you unless they were to ya; furthermore i do not follow you around, it is just that your inane bullshit is everywhere so saying i follow you around is saying i browse this forum.

i've never said rude things about you unless they were to ya; furthermore i do not follow you around, it is just that your inane bullshit is everywhere so saying i follow you around is saying i browse this forum.

ur a butt head

Guest hahathhat

Blogging is part of an EKT/EKT Plus membership, and while not as great as say setting up your own Wordpress blog or using Blogger, you get the benefit of a captive, ready-made audience, which is the whole point of running a blog - for people to see and read it.

i got webhosting i paid for, no less than three wordpress blogs,

and another site where i wrote the blogging software myself.

i'd be much more interested if i felt like people actually would read shit i wrote in it. i don't ever read any of the blogs, so i just kind of assumed no one else does either. i dunno. i guess, i appreciate the motivation behind the blogs, but i don't think they really deliver. and life is short, forum to-do is long, why distract yourself?

regarding chatmm: i like live-chatting with watmm members 110%, but i hate that chat app with a passion. the idea of paying an annual fee for its upkeep makes me physically ill. switch to IRC, save a buck, and improve the chat experience!

there comes a point where it's less about what you're arguing about, and more about the argument. arguing as a sport.

that, and people just jump in on page 6 without having read 2-4.

no chats no blogs here too. isnt the chatroom essentially just a place for acidfuckfest to tweak out and have a 24/7 rolling lol with himself?

bacon2.jpg

let's get married. bacon-themed wedding

there comes a point where it's less about what you're arguing about, and more about the argument. arguing as a sport.

that, and people just jump in on page 6 without having read 2-4.

I cover the people that come to the thread late. You know, in the bit where i say that they are being shortchanged by those that have been in the thread from the beginning. As to arguing as sport. That's not a very good get out clause. :facepalm:

Guest Calx Sherbet

Doesnt matter what you do, its internet, people love to hate. Its funny, cause most people you meet in life are sound (maybe thats my London liberal bubble, been here too long to expect any different) and you get in here(the wider here) and its full of people abusing folks dead reletives and shit. Only thing I can say is that im as much of a twat out there as I am in here =)

at least you're not a pussy about it. don't say something online you wouldn't say to the person's face

Joyrex - if you're going to host a message board where nerds hang out then prepare to deal with the nerdy jokes that go along with it. people only have something against you when you start banning those people just for fucking around. just sayin'

Well, just 'fucking around' obviously carries a different definition for you and I. I don't think being nerdy is an excuse to behave badly, nor is it one to tolerate going overboard with such behaviour.

what's really the worst that can happen when people go "overboard" with that behavior though? it's just a post on a message board, you can take it or leave it. if it's to avoid forum drama then why can't the people that use the forum decide what is and isn't appropriate? if your response is going to be something like "because it's my forum" then you're missing the point. that's the sort of attitude that creates the sort of inappropriate behaviour you're referring to.

qft

Joyrex - if you're going to host a message board where nerds hang out then prepare to deal with the nerdy jokes that go along with it. people only have something against you when you start banning those people just for fucking around. just sayin'

Well, just 'fucking around' obviously carries a different definition for you and I. I don't think being nerdy is an excuse to behave badly, nor is it one to tolerate going overboard with such behaviour.

what's really the worst that can happen when people go "overboard" with that behavior though? it's just a post on a message board, you can take it or leave it. if it's to avoid forum drama then why can't the people that use the forum decide what is and isn't appropriate? if your response is going to be something like "because it's my forum" then you're missing the point. that's the sort of attitude that creates the sort of inappropriate behaviour you're referring to.

Well, for starters, it sets an example, and then others see one person behaving badly, and assume it's permissible to act in a similar manner, and before long, you've got bunches of people stinking the place up with their attempts at humour or being assholish for the sake of it. Also, in regards to letting each person decide what's appropriate - that's not fair, since some people aren't aware when they go in a thread that someone's derailed it and posted something offensive or downright stupid and off-topic.

Forgive me if I've missed something, but what was the reasoning behind closing the alcohol/drugs topic? Is this also official watmm policy now?

Archived