IGNORED

The 90s: The Weirdest Decade?

vamos scorcho

anybody with me on this? I think back on the 90s and it all just seems like a bizarre dream. well, I was born in 1989, so for me it definitely was a bizarre dream.

but i think, unique to the 90s, is that everyone might agree on that. the 00s actually may turn out to seem that way. the earth spins, the sun goes up and goes down, but the sun and the earth have nothing to do with day and night. those two things are a figment of our lives.

and our lives are just totally fucking weird when you think about it.

so i guess all decades will be equally strange. the only difference with the 90s is that I personally was there.

but on a cosmic scale it's very significant. in my mind the 90s are truly a bizarre and frightening thing to think about. I watch these old Simpsons episodes and even those are strange. they seem to come from a different place. like all of humanity could be reduced to this moment, this episode from 199(1). and everyone was there. but nobody remembers.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the 90s: sega mega drive 2 all day long, eurosport's eurogoals, knocking on friends' doors to summon them outside, romania playing godlike football, great MTV music, supaplex, phone pranks, cheap awesome ice-cream, waterguns, gypsy forbidden zones, etc

the 90s for me:

sega, playstation, pixels of wonder

lost TV shows, stoner humor in abundance kept under wraps, MTV playing weird things on national television

IDM music, the cover of Amber, Tri Repetae, Selected Ambient Works 85-92

'The Private Psychedelic Reel'

Music for the Jilted Generation

Napster [fwiw]

experimental education. 'the colors of the rainbow'

self esteem. 'gifted classes'

'gifted children.'

double accelerated math

McDonalds Happy Meals. other kids have better toys

home movies - not digital

1990-1995, tennessee. kraftwerk

getting personal

halloweens. candy. toys.

Clinton. independence day. mars attacks. homeward bound. beethoven 2. the great mouse detective. 101 dalmations.

milo and otis.

that's all for now

oh, and for fucks sake, how could i forget?

Windows 95

geocities

etc

No. You just happened to grow up in the 90s, and remember your childhood as being more colorful than your drab present.

We all do.

Also, Milo and Otis is from the fucking 80s

No. You just happened to grow up in the 90s, and remember your childhood as being more colorful than your drab present.

We all do.

yeah, that's the truth. still, i think in 10-20 years i'll see the 00s as 'weird.' and i think that way of seeing the 00s will be more accurate than the view i had of the 00s while i was living inside the 00s.

it's that collective insanity

The late 80's early 90's were really damn weird. At least television-wise. I always picture shit like this when I think of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EmwStAukP0

And really crude animation styles like Rocko's Modern Life and Ren and Stimpy and such.

I also remember a lot of EXTREME LOUD TO THE MAX kids commercials for super soakers and hot wheels.

I grew up in the 80s, and 90s.Yes, the 80s were strange days... but the 90s were..weird. Not like, wacky weird.. the level of oddness is so mundane that I can't even put my finger on it.

The late 80's early 90's were really damn weird. At least television-wise. I always picture shit like this when I think of it.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EmwStAukP0And really crude animation styles like Rocko's Modern Life and Ren and Stimpy and such.I also remember a lot of EXTREME LOUD TO THE MAX kids commercials for super soakers and hot wheels.

supersoakers.jpg

the embracing of neon loudness seems to be at it's height during the late 80s/early 90s, which is the pinpoint of my hazy childhood nostalgia, and in a larger context it seems to be aesthetic right before the drab tones and vibes of grunge and then the postmodern pop era (beck, bjork, the end of rave and beginning of 60s/70s throwback britpop) as all genres began re-evaluating themselves... coincidentally, it seems all of the positive nonsense (hip-house/house rap, world music, 3-D magic eye books, tacky dolphin art, lisa-frank, GI JOE and other action cartoons with nebulous bad guys and where magically no dies) emerged at the end of the cold war and after a quick happy "victory" after the gulf war, and then clinton! :emotawesomepm9:

^i'm ranting here, so apologies for the potential nonsense and possibly wasting your time

90s was a time for just receiving my independence, military, college, work, marriage, raves, clubs. 2000s is where I mellowed out from most.

90s was a time for just receiving my independence, military, college, work, marriage, raves, clubs. 2000s is where I mellowed out from most.

Nothing says independence like military, work and marriage!

Archived