IGNORED

The 90s: The Weirdest Decade?

vamos scorcho

90s was badass, was probably the last decade we had before Americans and UK citizens were completely and utterly mentally fucked + less corporate control over the media (although in the 90s thats when it really went off the rails)

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 90's were awkward due to the idealism and consumerism of the 80's had evaporated, and technology was starting to infiltrate our lives more and more, but it was primitive and the media and entertainment industries were trying to figure out how to use it properly.

Musically, the 90's was an interesting decade - we had the rise and prominence of electronic music juxtaposed with the lo-fi grunge scene, and rap going off the rails from light-hearted hip hop into gangster rap.

in 897 a dead pope was dug up and put on the throne so that he could be tried for perjury.

but the 1990's were still weirder cause look at this official site for space jam.

http://www2.warnerbros.com/spacejam/movie/jam.htm

if you look at the html for each page, there's all these little comments in the html, like <!-- Badda Bing, Badda Boom -->. collectively, the 90's are probably the weirdest decades.

Oh, shit. This site is still alive.

Now that vaporwave is cool maybe the people giving me shit in this thread can apologize???

And maybe Windows 95 could have won that year?????

Feel me

yeah i looked at a post i made in 2011 and its spooky how vaporwave-y it is

in 897 a dead pope was dug up and put on the throne so that he could be tried for perjury.

but the 1990's were still weirder cause look at this official site for space jam.

if you look at the html for each page, there's all these little comments in the html, like <!-- Badda Bing, Badda Boom -->. collectively, the 90's are probably the weirdest decades.

most under rated post of the decade

Even trying to filter out for nostalgia and being in my teens around then, there did seem to be a pretty massive shift music wise in the first half of the 90s. By 95 you had SAW 85-92, techno clubs everywhere, jungle / drum n bass, tri repetae etc. There was a lot of genuinely innovative stuff that hit at that time.

Plus people now had the means to make decent tracks in their bedroom without paying a fortune, and there was suddenly mobile phones and this thing called the internet.

most under rated post of the decade

lol

the embracing of neon loudness seems to be at it's height during the late 80s/early 90s, which is the pinpoint of my hazy childhood nostalgia, and in a larger context it seems to be aesthetic right before the drab tones and vibes of grunge and then the postmodern pop era (beck, bjork, the end of rave and beginning of 60s/70s throwback britpop) as all genres began re-evaluating themselves... coincidentally, it seems all of the positive nonsense (hip-house/house rap, world music, 3-D magic eye books, tacky dolphin art, lisa-frank, GI JOE and other action cartoons with nebulous bad guys and where magically no dies) emerged at the end of the cold war and after a quick happy "victory" after the gulf war, and then clinton! :emotawesomepm9:

^i'm ranting here, so apologies for the potential nonsense and possibly wasting your time

tumblr_nhmexi5Lbs1thjbjao1_500.jpg

Guest bitroast

Musically, the 90's was an interesting decade - we had the rise and prominence of electronic music juxtaposed with the lo-fi grunge scene, and rap going off the rails from light-hearted hip hop into gangster rap.

i think the 90s were just as interesting as the 80's musically cos ...

80s = digital revolution. studios /producers/musicians getting digital equipment + really pushing the boundaries of what can be done musically (digital + otherwise).

90s = also interesting!! cos now gear that was otherwise expensive and studio-tier only was getting cheaper and finding its way into bedrooms. again, thanks to advances in technology and digital revolution etc.etc.

00s = also interesting!! internet/ people getting music software free.

all these things have contributed to music producting taking leaps forward and finding new areas to cover.

personally, seeing as we 're on an IDM forum.. i think its fair to say 90s was one of the most interesting times :):):)

the embracing of neon loudness seems to be at it's height during the late 80s/early 90s, which is the pinpoint of my hazy childhood nostalgia, and in a larger context it seems to be aesthetic right before the drab tones and vibes of grunge and then the postmodern pop era (beck, bjork, the end of rave and beginning of 60s/70s throwback britpop) as all genres began re-evaluating themselves... coincidentally, it seems all of the positive nonsense (hip-house/house rap, world music, 3-D magic eye books, tacky dolphin art, lisa-frank, GI JOE and other action cartoons with nebulous bad guys and where magically no dies) emerged at the end of the cold war and after a quick happy "victory" after the gulf war, and then clinton! :emotawesomepm9:

^i'm ranting here, so apologies for the potential nonsense and possibly wasting your time

where is this image from josh?

that pyramid clip is still what I remember the 90's for. Nickelodeon in 90's hasn't been mentioned enough. I saw a bunch of bumpers from back then and it was like each and every one was its own self-contained alt universe. Each one is as immersive as a SAWII track imo. But yeah the late 90's was still really weird for me also because the playstation/N64/windows95. Somebody said about early 3D graphics and people still trying to figure out what to do with it/technology not good enough to realize their ideas without being all awkward and awesome. Also like the 3DO and randomshit that completely tanked leaving these futuristic dreamscapes in its wake. Nothing is risky anymore with that, it's just call of duty kind of games year after year with every last pixel of color being slowly drained from the palette until it reaches the peak drabchrome aesthetic and hopefully we go back to early playstation singletrac color pukes

But to the contrary I have noticed that I had no concept of GENRE back when I was a kid - COPS theme wasn't reggae, chia pet commercial wasn't some random island beachy steel drum music, streets of rage music wasn't random knockoffs of 90's dance music. Wipeout music wasn't drum and bass/crappytechno/whatever. like how would your mind even PARSE drum and bass when you're a kid and it's just this singular/one-off thing in a videogame

also re: aphex I can see where hearing/absorbing technomusic/scene in short spurts/from a distance in cornwall somewhere could actually be inspirational like I said hearing drum and bass ONCE in a videogame or commercial and an overactive imagination jumping to conclusions about what the music is/should be going for

I also remember anime wasn't fuckanime but it was also this elusive thing that you had to order from time/life or something and it was nonstop cool shit like aeonflux etc. when you did get a chance to see it

by the way is there a way to print random stuff out on a sticker because I want to do that with so many images on the internet. not like funny cat pictures but like the deepest weirdness of google image search. And then just parade them around on my laptop

The 90s bore some weird cultural fruit fo sho. A trashtastic time, when (in europe at least) for a while you could add some 4-to-the-floor beat to ANYTHING and make a buck out of it... like a fucking chocolate commercial eg:

... another good example:

Deffo feeling more nostalgia for the 80s.

where is this image from josh?

i googled vaporwave meme i think

idk origin tbh

man that really sums up the superficial nature of tumblr art huh

:cisfor:

Archived