IGNORED

Influx of bad artist names

eh Speedy

I'm not naming names but you know who I'm talking about. Artists that parody famous people's names by switching some letters around. Only one that ever had some working value I thought was Bit Meddler. At least that had some creative meaning.

Outside of that trend there are just some that are plain bad.

• Like 1

Guest placidburp

One of my music making aliasseses is Cunny Chuggs....which came from a drunk conversation with my mate about Konnie Huq!

er....

Guest Hertha Thiele

In all seriousness, as the time passes by, I feel it's stupid to look for a cool name being a SINGLE artist. I cannot imagine a writer, filmmaker, painter, whatever, using a stupid moniker. You can tweak a little your name if you don't like it or if its very common, but more than that, I feel that it is immature, insecure and anachronistic. Why put the brand over ourselves?

In all seriousness, as the time passes by, I feel it's stupid to look for a cool name being a SINGLE artist. I cannot imagine a writer, filmmaker, painter, whatever, using a stupid moniker. You can tweak a little your name if you don't like it or if its very common, but more than that, I feel that it is immature, insecure and anachronistic. Why put the brand over ourselves?

posting on a forum known to have a strong following of Aphex Twin

Guest placidburp

But...these Artists on here that people are talking about will forever be more famous than them! So surely to most, the people who buy their records/CDs/Mp3's, their name obviously doesn't matter that much...

Watmm is a neverending whingefest!

Guest Hertha Thiele

posting on a forum known to have a strong following of Aphex Twin

Times were different. In that era, the common thing as an electronic artist was to release your music with your name on it, then some guys felt that they were different. Now it's the complete opposite. That's why I say it's anachronistic.

Maybe it's just I cannot stand the "delusions of grandeur", the pioneer-of-a-new-art, pretentious attitude of some new artists with childish names.

Guest AcrossCanyons

I can be turned on to/off a band/artist by the name quite easily if I'm honest. If I catch a good name chances of me listening to them is increased quite a lot.

Guest Hertha Thiele

See, i think people who use their full names are more pretentious.

Why? (I know it depends also of the music style, but...)

See, i think people who use their full names are more pretentious.

Why? (I know it depends also of the music style, but...)

Well yeah, it depends on genre, but for most electronic music, I prefer names that a bit more playful. Artists that use their own name tend to (NOT ALL THE TIME I KNOW IM NOT TRYING TO OVERGENERALIZE) take themselves too seriously. With folk like that, good music or not, i tend to tune out a bit. I'm a fickle fuck who loves hunting whales and my opinion doesn't matter at all. Don't listen to me.

my music name kinda sux but i reckon im stuck with it now

Well seeing as I didn't get to pick my real name, if i were to do music I'd probably release under a name of my choosing. If i were to direct a film though I'd used my real name. It's sort of this, 'when in Rome' kind of thing. it's just what you do in a particular art, and I don't have a problem w/ that. In some cases I would have a prob going w/ the flow but in this one, I just agree w/ it.

I feel privileged enough that someone (my parents) saw enough special value in me to give me a name, so that's good enough for real life, but music is not real life.