IGNORED

JAZZ - THE THREAD

halisray

Well, reading this thread has opened up a whole new world for me. I'd never even considered listening to any jazz, at all, ever. All my musical love has been for electronic, for the last 3 decades.

From listening to jazz based on recommendations in this thread, this stuff is on a different level, fucking awesome !

I only wish I could play a real instrument. I might be getting a little old to start now though.

I'd like to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread. Without reading it and listening to the music recommended, I might never have been exposed to this incredible genre of music.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the kooky club.

Also, it's never too late to learn an instrument and they say that it's good for your brain or something. Apparently there's heaps of useful learn to play software about now too. I really should check them out myself for some kind of refresher course enema. Clean out the bad habits, remind me what's up.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest LoveRhino

Sorry if some of these albums have already been mentioned but here are a few great jazz albums:

Donal Byrd "A New Perspective"

Miles Davis "In A Silent Way"

Donny McCaslin "casting for Gravity" (great Boards of Canada cover)

The Bad Plus "These Are the Vistas" (great Aphex cover - Flim)

Nik Bärtsch's Ronin "Randori" (little improv, cyclical, hypnotic and great polyrhythms)

And in a shameless plug, I host a jazz show on local radio. You can stream previous shows here: www.mixcloud.com/loverhino.

Guest LoveRhino

Damn. Sorry. I cannot find the rules for this forum. Happy to delete my last post if it broke them.

hey Loverhino, just checked out your interview with Squarepusher. Great work!
can you recommend any electronic centric jazz? I'm interested in hearing more older 70s jazz that uses a lot of synthesizers or electronic instruments. in general though what are some hallmark synthesizers/electronic + jazz albums out there that you think are good?

here are 2 I recently found at record swaps that are pretty heavy on the synthesizers, both more on the free jazz side of things.

Various - Popofoni
R-3908609-1349427082-9245.jpeg
Goebbels & Harth - Frankfurt-Peking
R-1055717-1188579902.jpeg

Edited by John Ehrlichman

Guest LoveRhino

Nice one, LimpyLoo. You got in there before me with the RtF recommendation.

Thanks, John. I'm glad you liked the interview. First up, Kind Of Bloop is a fantastic 8 bit tribute to the best selling jazz album of all time; Kind of Blue by Miles Davis. I'll have to put my thinking cap on about synth jazz and get back to you.

You needed a tip for return to forever (which i never got the love for tbh). /dleetr is in shock that people out there still don't know much about jazz. No offence btw, it's just weird to me.

Damn. Sorry. I cannot find the rules for this forum. Happy to delete my last post if it broke them.

forum rules

Note, "'Hello' Posts" ... read the rest too.

If you'd read the rules you'd see that in this case you don't need to be sorry. Then again NZ is the canada of australia in a way, so perhaps you're just in a permanently apologetic state. heheh.

Welcome to the forum, rules the read.

Guest LoveRhino

Ah, no. I did realise it was a hello. Just playing it safe. Though based in NZ, I am Irish so even more used to apologising for my existence. Ah no I won't trouble you for a cup of tea, I'll just sit in this cold dark corner, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Recently listened to Interstellar Space by John Coltrane. Absolutely breathtaking.

My fave Coltrane album. For some unknown reason it really chills me out.

I happened to find a really cheap 12" with variations on it ( http://www.discogs.com/John-Coltrane-The-Mastery-Of-John-Coltrane-Vol-III-Jupiter-Variation/release/572141) and it's on par with Interstellar Space. Amazing stuff.

• 2 weeks later...