JAZZ - THE THREAD

halisray

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Guest LoveRhino

The best thing about jazz is that there is so much of it. It covers over 100 years of recorded music. I've been a fan for two decades and learn more about it all the time. Here are some bits and pieces that I adore

Erik Truffaz - The Dawn / Bending New Corners

Gorgeous (mostly) instrumental jazz with a breakbeat/ drum and bass vibe.

The Bad Plus - the track Anthem for the Earnest from Suspicious Activity. A masterpiece.

Bill Frisell - Floratone

Gorgeous, funky, light and fluffy guitar jazz.

Miles Davis - In A Silent Way

One of the most beautiful albums I've ever heard. I'm still finding more to hear in its two tracks 20 years on. The first fusion record.

Keith Jarret - The Koln Concert

Gorgeous piece of live solo piano.

John Zorn - Naked City

Furious blend of metal and jazz applied to various themes from films.

Shakti with John McLaughlin

Three track live performance of a fusion of Indian music and jazz featuring English guitarist John McLaughlin playing a modified acoustic with scalloped frets and additional sympathetic resonating strings and Ravi Shankar's nephew on violin. Sublime, furious and meditative.

Mahavishnu Orchestra - Visions of the Emerald Beyond

A fusion classic featuring the same guitarist and some astounding bass playing from a 17 year old called Ralphe Armstrong.

Donald Byrd - A New Perspective

Beautiful gateway jazz album. Easy going with lovely wordless vocals and one of the first appearances of Herbie Hancock on record.

Bheki Mseleku - Meditations

Solo concert with simultaneous playing of piano and sax!

Roller Trio

Modern UK rock infused jazz.

Billy Cobham - A Funky Thide of Sings

Funky, cheesey, lovely.

To name a few...

don't blame me for posting an UR presents, i was pretty wasted. heh. Also refer to my manifesto from the now playing thread which explains my music postings. If we were to judge my relative interest between that video and the farlow/breau one posted below it, i would say that i could listen to the two guitarists again with no worries, it would entertain me, whereas with the other one i was sort of interested in the interplay between that chiming synth and what they put on top of it but overall i find it a tediously cheesy affair, especially that sax, omg, someone needs to tell the guy.

edit: no offence though man, you like what you like of course'ee course [-;

mingus is one of my favourite composers. When i dream jazz before going to sleep sometimes, the instruments weave in and out like a dense mingus orchestration.

Maybe next time at the record fair pick up his autobiography, it's a kack.

don't blame me for posting an UR presents, i was pretty wasted. heh. Also refer to my manifesto from the now playing thread which explains my music postings. If we were to judge my relative interest between that video and the farlow/breau one posted below it, i would say that i could listen to the two guitarists again with no worries, it would entertain me, whereas with the other one i was sort of interested in the interplay between that chiming synth and what they put on top of it but overall i find it a tediously cheesy affair, especially that sax, omg, someone needs to tell the guy.

edit: no offence though man, you like what you like of course'ee course [-;

Haha, yeah I read the Delet Manifesto For the Posting Of YT Music Videos :) just saw it as an opportunity to post some more UR in here, I actually agree with you about that Galaxy 2 Galaxy track, it's horribly cheesy, could be used in a montage in a 90's VHS documentary about the history of cauliflower in the south of Holland that you were forced to watch during geography :)

Now listening to one of my fave jazz lp's in my collection, curated by Theo Parrish:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-WHzwc3Qdk

The cowbell in that last video is RELENTLESS!

http://www.discogs.com/Theo-Parrish-Theo-Parrishs-Black-Jazz-Signature/master/627989

Guest LoveRhino

thanks for getting me into Mahavishnu Orchestra in that Squarepusher special!

You are very welcome indeed. The joy of Mahavishnu Orchestra is something else. I am very happy to spread the love. Both the first and second iterations are great in very different ways. Not for the hater of solos, though. If you are at all interested, I posted about this elsewhere in this forum that I am broadcasting an interview with MO bass player, Rick Laird on Sunday 21st (NZ time). I also previoulsy interviewed Billy Cobham, the drummer from the same lineup if you scroll down my MixCloud page.

it's funny how much john scofield uberjam is based directly on charlie hunter in this with no accreditation to direction that i can recall. Maybe rhino knows more.

http://youtu.be/SndL5Ub1yGs

i remember being into TJ Kirk and then scofield of the chorus pedal started funky jamming just like hunter, not that more guys funking isn't cool. Hunter's lost direction lately, the past decade and an half.

Guest LoveRhino

Bill Frisell is a fantastic example of the expansion of the jazz umbrella. Naked City with John Zorn was mind blowing. I love the gentle American country aromas of "The Willies", the world music vibe of "The Intercontinentals", the spooky space of his solo album, "Ghost Town" and the funky and spaced out moments of "Uninvisible". He rarely puts a foot wrong.

I also love the John Scofield work on the Tony Williams Lifetimes albums (much more listenable than the John McLaughlin Lifetime albums). He also made a couple of very groovy albums with Medeski, Martin and Wood, with "A Go Go" (the first I think) being a good intro.

Even though it epitomises the "musical masturbation" approach I love the ferocious one-upmanship on display in "The Life Divine" album with John McLuaghlin and Carlos Santana on "Love Devotion Surrender".