IGNORED

JAZZ - THE THREAD

halisray

Guest murphythecat8

Bill Frisell is a fantastic example of the expansion of the jazz umbrella. Naked City with John Zorn was mind blowing. I love the gentle American country aromas of "The Willies", the world music vibe of "The Intercontinentals", the spooky space of his solo album, "Ghost Town" and the funky and spaced out moments of "Uninvisible". He rarely puts a foot wrong.

I also love the John Scofield work on the Tony Williams Lifetimes albums (much more listenable than the John McLaughlin Lifetime albums). He also made a couple of very groovy albums with Medeski, Martin and Wood, with "A Go Go" (the first I think) being a good intro.

Even though it epitomises the "musical masturbation" approach I love the ferocious one-upmanship on display in "The Life Divine" album with John McLuaghlin and Carlos Santana on "Love Devotion Surrender".

I even have those on vinyl. I cannot stand this stuff of jazz. so regressive when you listen to 65' coltrane or 68' zappa and then you listen to those boring sessions. this kind of jazz is what killed jazz. IMO

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest murphythecat8

one of my fav lps is 'charles mingus presents charles mingus'. found it at a record fair kinda beaten up but plays nicely. dolphy is stellar on it...duh

the dolph! what an incredible shame. plus when you read how easily preventable his death could have been...jesus

yeah, dolphy lost is bad. not as bad as coltrane, but after out to lunch, who knows where dolphy would have been in his music. damn, coltrane and dolphy death + lee morgan all in the span of 5 years sucks hard.

I also love mingus work. not all, but ah hum and blues roots are classics.

album i bought and listened to rather infrequently. Couple of interesting funk ideas in it but yeah, stoner jam. It's funny though but i'd prefer to listen to that than bitches brew i think, although i haven't heard the latter in a couple of decades (and the former for nearly as long). My favourite miles really stopped when he left bebop or cool or whatever, other people do the other stuff better, it's nice that he was trying stuff out though and some of it is interesting and he still had a killer sound. hrmm, don't want to be judgemental though this is just about what i'm into, passed through etcblue.

Guest murphythecat8

album i bought and listened to rather infrequently. Couple of interesting funk ideas in it but yeah, stoner jam. It's funny though but i'd prefer to listen to that than bitches brew i think, although i haven't heard the latter in a couple of decades (and the former for nearly as long). My favourite miles really stopped when he left bebop or cool or whatever, other people do the other stuff better, it's nice that he was trying stuff out though and some of it is interesting and he still had a killer sound. hrmm, don't want to be judgemental though this is just about what i'm into, passed through etcblue.

what? I recommend to you to listen to it more closely and most importantly, do not miss the on the corner sessions.

I personally am not a big fan of bitches, but all miles from 55 to 68 is 10/10 for me, then theres hit and miss from 69 to 74, lot more miss. but on the corner is a hit

heres a couple of my favorites from them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oruMn8jIL7w a masterpiece

jabali track

Edited by delet...

i don't need to listen to things more closely, i'm one of those gifted people that gets things the first time round. Same with films, stories, art. I don't dislike on the corner and i can grasp it's value, even just looking at the cover i can hear in my mind the odd timed grooves that pierce the heart of it, it's just that i'm not interested in listening to it, it's been absorbed and i've moved on.

no offence meant man, and i appreciate your passion for it. i'm just a frustrating guy, sorry.

Guest murphythecat8

i don't need to listen to things more closely, i'm one of those gifted people that gets things the first time round. Same with films, stories, art. I don't dislike on the corner and i can grasp it's value, even just looking at the cover i can hear in my mind the odd timed grooves that pierce the heart of it, it's just that i'm not interested in listening to it, it's been absorbed and i've moved on.

no offence meant man, and i appreciate your passion for it. i'm just a frustrating guy, sorry.

crazy how likely, on the corner is maybe one of the first truly old album with electronica fundamentals and ideas.. the way the drums repeat itself and the percussion is very innovateur for its time. Its the only album I know that old that use so many layers of percussion that repeats itself, samples ect. I recommend you to also listen to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLsVYH1MlG0

in a lot of circles, this track is seen as the best of late miles and one of the most innovateur in term of production,

I can understand people who dont like on the corner. it took me a mescaline trip to really appreciate it and since then, its a go too late period miles.

thing is, taste change, a lot. what you didnt like 20 years ago may well be the favorite thing you would like now.

as for being frustrated, I can relate, im also like that :).

Edited by murphythecat8

listen for the first two tracks at least.

nice

Airto, Flora Purim, Stanley Clarke, Chick Corea....that whole crew did some great stuff

I love the Brazilian influence that seeped into jazz around that time

ooh, that reminds me that Kurt Rosenwinkel is working on a Brazilian "solo" record on his laptop...

he said it's very much like his album Heartcore in method

that is, a "jazz" record made using electronic music techniques

samplers, chopping up performances, synths, crazy processing, etc

(i'm obsessed with Brazilian music--and trying to integrate it into electronic music--so this is very exciting to me)

what was that band that was posted here a year or two back, making modern brazilian electronic of a swing bliss tip, lots of roads and panoramas from height, sie if only i was blessed with attainable memory i'm sure that i'd be a rather engaging conversationalist (and devastating political commentator).

i was actually looking for kick arse fasty nast salsa cause i was skimming carlito's way and went, "oh yeah doh, i like that shit" then i found some other stuff that was nice but had a rather bbc orchestral trumpet playerand other qit with some guy playing robby kreiger guitar heads into kind of fast arpeggios and somehow ended up here..

what was that band that was posted here a year or two back, making modern brazilian electronic of a swing bliss tip, lots of roads and panoramas from height, sie if only i was blessed with attainable memory i'm sure that i'd be a rather engaging conversationalist (and devastating political commentator).

shit i don't remember

I'd love to hear it, though

the Brazilian vibe is painfully under-represented in electronic music

• 2 weeks later...

i gotta thank my old man for the heads up on some of these.....
(some are more fusion pieces)

Modern Jazz Quartet - Milt Meets Sid

Charlie Parker - What Is This Thing Called Love

Weather Report - Black Market title track

Hermeto Pascoal - Maturi

Charles Mingus - Tijuana Moods

Thelonius Monk - Brilliant Corners

Chick Corea - Now He Sings, Now He Sobs

Sun Ra - take your pick

Donald Byrd - Blackjack

if it hasnt been linked yet the Jazz On A Summer's Day doc/film is superb, Anita O'Day in full effect, although the 2nd half is bluesier.

shit i don't remember

I'd love to hear it, though

the Brazilian vibe is painfully under-represented in electronic music

not submotion orchestra, is it?

http://ninjatune.net/ca/release/submotion-orchestra/alium

Edited by StephenG

there's a cracking documentary-piece about Chet Baker called "Let's Get Lost", which is equal parts music maestro cataloging and equal parts bleak dark take of how someone who pretty much had it all slid into decades of junk abuse. What a voice though, melancholic, sweet-toned,,,,,,

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095515/

saw Jerry Mulligan @ Brecon Jazz in the summer of 1991 w/my old man. Never seen my dad so entranced by anything, it was superb though. Mulligan on sax and just a bass/drums accompaniment, all with 1/2min solo licks by all 3 at various stages across 2hrs and the man musta been well into his 60's.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest murphythecat8

there's a cracking documentary-piece about Chet Baker called "Let's Get Lost", which is equal parts music maestro cataloging and equal parts bleak dark take of how someone who pretty much had it all slid into decades of junk abuse. What a voice though, melancholic, sweet-toned,,,,,,

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095515/

saw Jerry Mulligan @ Brecon Jazz in the summer of 1991 w/my old man. Never seen my dad so entranced by anything, it was superb though. Mulligan on sax and just a bass/drums accompaniment, all with 1/2min solo licks by all 3 at various stages across 2hrs and the man musta been well into his 60's.

chet is in my top 10 best jazz player indeed!