JAZZ - THE THREAD

halisray

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Every now and again I try to get a little into jazz, and I usually fail miserably (though I quite like Sun Ra)

I listened to Giant Steps the other day, I think I made it three quarters through the 2nd track before pulling the plug and my ears instantly thanked me. Just don't get it all.

Jazz philistine? That's me!

Edited by beerwolf

Every now and again I try to get a little into jazz, and I usually fail miserably (though I quite like Sun Ra)

I listened to Giant Steps the other day, I think I made it three quarters through the 2nd track before pulling the plug and my ears instantly thanked me. Just don't get it all.

I'm like that with a lot of rock music, I tried listening to Nirvana a few times and it bored me to death.  :shrug:

I personally got into Jazz through listening to a lot of DJ Shadow and various Hip Hop stuff since like 13yo. I guess you gotta find your own way into these things instead of starting with the "pure hardcore stuff" straight away. I hated Miles Davis at one point , I can tell you that.

Also Squarepusher obvs

Edited by Kidrodi

I'm like that with a lot of rock music, I tried listening to Nirvana a few times and it bored me to death.  :shrug:

I personally got into Jazz through listening to a lot of DJ Shadow and various Hip Hop stuff since like 13yo. I guess you gotta find your own way into these things instead of starting with the "pure hardcore stuff" straight away. I hated Miles Davis at one point , I can tell you that.

Also Squarepusher obvs

Yes that's why I kind of never given up with it, I think I make the wrong choices and try to listen to hardcore stuff like Bitches Brew (because I like to test myself). Really Sun Ra is enough for me if I'm in that rare jazz mood.

• 2 weeks later...

Going to see Wayne Shorter Quartet day after tomorrow. They're doing something called "The Unfolding" "inspired by recent scientific interpretations of the Big Bang theory that describe the expansion of the universe as an “unfolding” of matter in the time and space continuum."

Pretty excited. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

a blend of Sun Ra, Alice & John Coltrane, Donny Hathaway, Thelonius Monk, Gerry Mulligan & Ben Webster tunes from my late Father's record collection, blended with more esoteric 4/4 gear of personal preferences like David Toop, Eryka Baduh & Peaking Lights, to move up through the tempos

intro from a Gardeners' Question Time segment, to celebrate the olde man's love of green fingered past-times......

https://soundcloud.com/cwmbran-city/circuit-of-souls-beltaine-restitch

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Lanquidity one of the few jazz albums I can listen to has finally appeared on Spotify

That's my jazz fix sorted out for the rest of my life then *thumbs up*

Happy days CosmicJazzHeadz!!!

(wouldn't mind Sleeping Beauty either but the title track is culled from the album which suckzz tbh)

Edited by beerwolf

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of great recommendations here. A few great jazz albums no one has mentioned are:

Herbie Hancock - Maiden Voyage (title track is a masterpiece)

Oliver Nelson - The Blues and the Abstract Truth (amazing compositions

George Russell - The Jazz Workshop (also amazing compositions)

Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds of Fire (incredible jazz fusion / Indian music)

Shakti - Natural Elements (on the outskirts of jazz now but if you like electronic music you’ll love this, INSANE tabla beats from Zakir Hussein and some of the best instrumental playing ever from John McLoughlin and L Shankar)

• 3 weeks later...

Lanquidity one of the few jazz albums I can listen to has finally appeared on Spotify

That's my jazz fix sorted out for the rest of my life then *thumbs up*

Happy days CosmicJazzHeadz!!!

(wouldn't mind Sleeping Beauty either but the title track is culled from the album which suckzz tbh)

if you havent try The Night of the Purple Moon & A Fireside Chat With Lucifer (for "Retrospect"!)

after these initiatory paths Media Dreams ("Constellation") could be the jazz-DMT to compliment the finest of ales or stouts

cosmic

in the ongoing mission to excavate through our dearly departed Dad's jazz collection, tonight i discovered Fletcher Henderson

prescient:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEHXdE509_M

Cool! Fletchers band was amazing. Louis Armstrong and Coleman Hawkins played in it. Some of the best early jazz.