IGNORED

stupid first world problems you're dealing with

Guest KY

My sister gave me a nice bottle of gin for a present, 'cept Bob a whiskey man. Anyone know good gin drinks?  I can only do G'n'T's in the summer and it's still fucking March and we're getting like a foot of snow tomorrow.

I tried moving that folder elsewhere, but Ableton still managed to find a way to read it.

It's become self-aware, throw your laptop in the river before all is lost

My sister gave me a nice bottle of gin for a present, 'cept Bob a whiskey man. Anyone know good gin drinks?  I can only do G'n'T's in the summer and it's still fucking March and we're getting like a foot of snow tomorrow.

So, you don't like the taste of gin? IE you'd be looking for drinks that cover up the taste?

You could do Long Island Iced Tea? Enough other ingredients that gin isn't at the forefront.

Or something called a Monkey Gland - Gin, Orange Juice, Absinthe, and Grenadine? I've had it and gin isn't at the forefront.

I like the taste of gin so I'll have a gin and club soda (rather than tonic water). But you get the full flavor of the gin. 

For something more simple you could just do gin and cranberry juice, or gin and ginger-ale, or gin and orange juice (or grapefruit juice) are also very popular. Covers the gin up nicely.

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj

Thanks for those tips Bluky, Im definitely taking up some of those suggestions.  I'm not averse to the taste of gin but I've never been particularly attracted to it, also doesn't help that I had several violent encounters with cheap gin (all self-induced) in my teens.  I do like that it's flavored of something, as opposed to nothing like vodka, so I might give the gin & soda a spin first 

Np!

I find gin and tonic alright sometimes, but there is a TON of sugar in tonic water (whodathunk it with how bitter it is?) so I tend to have the soda instead. A bit lighter. You can add a touch of lemon or lime concentrate to it too with the gin to change it up.

=)

I tried moving that folder elsewhere, but Ableton still managed to find a way to read it.

It's become self-aware, throw your laptop in the river before all is lost

Excellent suggestion.  Only problem is it's on a desktop which is too heavy to easily haul to the river.

BUT AS IT SO TURNS OUT I solved my FWP by *totally not pirating* a slightly updated version of Ableton, which opened the file without issue.  It only took 7 and a half hours of trying different things out to get me here... and that is why I am able to stick to this here FWP thread despite my FWS.  In fact, that is probably the most time i've ever spent trying to work out a solution to a music software problem.  Man... what a brickwall head smacker of a day.

a nice simple gin drink is a gimlet, which is just gin and lime juice (or lime cordial if you want it a bit sweeter, or you can add a drop of sugar syrup to regular juice).

I like a g+t, or a g+t with a dash of grapefruit. or gin with lots of ice and a mixture of oj and grapefruit juice is also nice. 

i mostly only drink cocktails in the summer myself though as well, you could always just wait...

i'm having a hard time not writing a brief rant about local ambient music and toy pianos, toy marimba things, filtered delays, tape loops and people using all kinds of complex scenarios to make the same exact ambient songs/performances for the 13 years i've lived in portland. 

also, i'm a shitposter

Edited by ignatius

i'm having a hard time not writing a brief rant about local ambient music and toy pianos, toy marimba things, filtered delays, tape loops and people using all kinds of complex scenarios to make the same exact ambient songs/performances for the 13 years i've lived in portland. 

also, i'm a shitposter

Yeah, I hate that.

"Oh, so I created this sound by combining two stones, a contact mic, 13 modular systems, and the sound of a magnetic fields around a tv"... and then it just sounds like a distorted sawtooth waveform or something.

I once went to an exhibition at a museum where some guys from Israel had been invited to perform on the opening night. They had brought along a whole bunch of shit. They had lined up three tables full of equipment and it sounded like complete ass. It noise. Just pure noise. It was fucking terrible.

also, i'm a shitposter

Yeah, I hate that.

"Oh, so I created this sound by combining two stones, a contact mic, 13 modular systems, and the sound of a magnetic fields around a tv"... and then it just sounds like a distorted sawtooth waveform or something.

I once went to an exhibition at a museum where some guys from Israel had been invited to perform on the opening night. They had brought along a whole bunch of shit. They had lined up three tables full of equipment and it sounded like complete ass. It noise. Just pure noise. It was fucking terrible.

when i was at art school back in the day one guy thought it would be cool to do that as part of a project

he had a mic and amp , a pedal, and a bow for playing a large coiled spring

well he tried anyway. couldn't get it to work

a few minutes of him bowing over and over trying to get a sound out

how embarrassing.

I'm trying to find a venue that will let us throw a monthly IDM party, but this city is fucking outrageously expensive. One venue wants to charge $500 each night and their calendar is almost completely empty. They have more to gain by having people come in and buy drinks on a Thursday night than nothing at all. What the fuck.

I'm trying to find a venue that will let us throw a monthly IDM party, but this city is fucking outrageously expensive. One venue wants to charge $500 each night and their calendar is almost completely empty. They have more to gain by having people come in and buy drinks on a Thursday night than nothing at all. What the fuck.

Whatever happened to the shows at F8? 

Whatever happened to the shows at F8? 

I'm also looking into that, but the only person to respond so far is from Codeword.

give them back the same track minus the vocals and call it a dub.

I don't like the music either. The only thing I like is the kick.

give them back the kick and call it a minimal techno edit.

I've been asked to do a remix for someone. It's a vocal track and I hate the vocals. I don't know what to do?

Holy Ghost! did a remix of a Katy Perry song where the chopped her vocals beyond recognition and kept barely any of the original instruments, and even warped the melody. Just go nuts with it. Or pull a Rich and just write a new song and say you used samples from theirs.

give them back the same track minus the vocals and call it a dub.

I don't like the music either. The only thing I like is the kick.

- Divide content into kick, vocals, and the collective of everything else

- Chop collective into slices, MPC-style

- Sequence slices into palatable melody/chords 

- Vocode the new melody/chords using vocal track

- Leave kick (relatively) untouched