IGNORED

stupid first world problems you're dealing with

Guest KY

I hate my job but it's a safe source of income. Told myself it would only be temporary thing to keep me afloat until I figure out what to do with my life, but it turns out this is where I ended up. Almost ten years of intellectual and creative misery. So comfortable. So terrible.

I had to sneeze really bad and could tell it was going to be a glorious one, but I was carrying a full cup of coffee which the sneeze would have certainly spilled.  So I held it in and lost all that satisfaction.

Re: clients not paying: been there.  One was a girl who sang several Christmas carols and got me to record all the instrumentals for her to sing over.  When I billed her for all the work I did she protested that she thought all the instrumentals were like the "finishing touches" and would just be thrown in free of charge.  Wow.  We had an email exchange that started off fairly reasonable but escalated into quite ugly quite fast.  I ended up making noise tracks out of 3 of them for various watmm Xmas comps, so I feel like I won that battle in the end.

Another client who seemed like he really did intend to pay his half of the project (it was a duo) stopped responding to emails.  He seemed kind like a depressive person and I know he was embarrassed that he couldn't pay up front because of all these car repairs that he suddenly needed to pay for.  To this day I wonder if the reason he stopped responding was suicide...  It's more likely he just felt he couldn't afford it in the end and was too humiliated to fess up.  But I'll probably never know.

These days I just make clients pay as we go.  No one ever owes me more than $50 at a time.

there are three birthdays in my family this month. i'm stuck with cards in front of me at aloss what to write in them.

i need help from wattem,

simple like: have a great birthday

x3. 

I don't see how that makes any difference. maybe "dick 'er down" is more palatable?

Edited by usagi

Too busy. Frustrated that I don't have more time to work on shit that's going to help my team move faster and pad my resume. Not a stranger to delegation but I just keep getting tossed all this random lopsided work. Kind of getting tired of the jack of all trades shtick, wanna narrow my focus a bit more and kinda specialize, go deep instead of wide.

Also I hate highway driving. FWS: The weather is finally getting nice, time to start taking the bus again and enjoying the time for reading, beats, and coding that gives me, especially now that I've hoarded all these nice battery powered machines.

I watched a 22 minute video of an engineer EQing guitars on a Meshuggah song, just notching out annoyance frequencies.  I guess I must have been pretty mesmerized.  22 minutes!  It didn't give me anything, other than confirmation that other engineers obsess over such details too.

I watched a 22 minute video of an engineer EQing guitars on a Meshuggah song, just notching out annoyance frequencies.  I guess I must have been pretty mesmerized.  22 minutes!  It didn't give me anything, other than confirmation that other engineers obsess over such details too.

Watching videos of other people working in various DAWs - especially DAWs you know in and out - can be so frustrating. Whenever I watch a Against the Clock and someone is using Logic I get so frustrated... "What are you doi... I... what?! No!!"

"do 'er in the butt"

- yek

family , not friends  :whistling:

"You can't fake the funk on a nasty dunk."

Also, "Congratulations!" is a favorite of mine to use for birthdays. I mean, we're celebrating them not being dead yet, right?

"do 'er in the butt"

- yek

family , not friends  :whistling:

"You can't fake the funk on a nasty dunk."

Also, "Congratulations!" is a favorite of mine to use for birthdays. I mean, we're celebrating them not being dead yet, right?

ooh , congratulations is a good one. excellent

Made a move-in inspection report for the place I'm renting. It's 16 pages long and I haven't even added all the thumbnail photos. My goal here is to get out of the lease ASAP. One of the issues: outlets are three prong, but all ungrounded and unlabeled, and the landlord suggests using 1500 watt electric space heaters as a primary heat source. The heaters have metal housings. This motherfucker is trying to kill me.

I hate my job but it's a safe source of income. Told myself it would only be temporary thing to keep me afloat until I figure out what to do with my life, but it turns out this is where I ended up. Almost ten years of intellectual and creative misery. So comfortable. So terrible.

Tainted by a comfortable sinecure to quote Robbie Bolano. 

UPDATE: I negotiated my way out of the lease, and I get my deposit back, and the whole house is going to be rewired before I leave (including a new breaker box with more amperage), the deadly gas furnace under the house will be replaced by an electric central heat system with new floor grates, the water heater is going to be replaced, + more. Got that shit written down, signed and dated by the landlord. YEAH BOY :sup:

Edited by luke viia

The furnace in this apartment busted over 2 weeks ago and still isn't fixed. I know it's technically springtime, but I'm in Canada, It's cold! The day after it broke we had a -30°C morning. It's not THAT cold now, but dammit, fix the furnace!

UPDATE: I negotiated my way out of the lease, and I get my deposit back, and the whole house is going to be rewired before I leave (including a new breaker box with more amperage), the deadly gas furnace under the house will be replaced by an electric central heat system with new floor grates, the water heater is going to be replaced, + more. Got that shit written down, signed and dated by the landlord. YEAH BOY :sup:

Good job man, you maybe prevented someone (even yourself) from getting killed in that deathtrap!

Landlord is a squirrely space cadet, no chance on the love front. I'm sure he's well off financially, considering the taxes on this house I'm renting are less than two of my monthly payments. Some ugly woman will surely give him the succ if he looks around.

Current FWPs: found black mold in the house. Gonna contact the squirrel landlord and see if he'll promptly send a professional out (already doing a cheap mold test, but that won't tell me if it's toxic).

Other FWP: potential MIL is showering at my place and I'm out back drinking Hamm's. If I go back in I may see some mother in law titties. I've known this woman since I was six, and she's p hot for being 50 something, so it'd be kinda gratifying, but still. The GF would never let me live it down. So I wait, in the garage, chain smoking.

Also, I replaced the bathroom sink & faucet and the damn u trap doesn't match the diameter on the drain assembly, so I have to wander over to Home Derpot and deal with their clueless employees for the hundredth time this week. Last time I was there I asked where the window latches were at and the dude said "no idea. If you find them will you tell me where they were?"

Edited by luke viia

I hate being drunk with nothing to do.  Like, anything that I'd want to do drunk involves other people.  There's nothing I can do by myself that I would rather do while drunk.  But I'm not tired enough to sleep.  This always happens after family gatherings.  Damn all holidays.

Actually, I do get more out of posting things online while drunk, but that's definitely not a good thing.

My girlfriend's parents are fucking nuts and they're breaking down my girlfriend mentally. I have no idea what to do.

Oh man, sounds really sad.

Just yesterday my friend told me about shitty experiences with girlfriend's parents. In his case they hated him for no reason.

I'm really sorry for you and I won't be disrespectful and give you any advice but I wish the best for you both.

Edit:

But "breaking down mentally" sounds worse for me not being native speaker.

Dunno any details and where you live , but in my experience with relationship shit it can be helpful to talk with someone professional.Here in Germany there are sometimes really competent people in social services.

Edited by Test Fforet