IGNORED

Yamaha CS-5, previously owned by RDJ

YELLOW

http://www.xlr8r.com/mp3/2011/07/curtains

"Now, here's something particularly interesting that just dropped into our inbox: Canadian hardware obsessive and synth-pop veteran Solvent has a brand-new EP ready to drop on September 6 via his recently resurrected Suction label, which he made using one very special piece of gear. Producer Jason Amm took it upon himself to craft the aptly titled RDJCS5 EP solely from the sounds of a Yamaha CS5 monosynth that was once owned by Richard D. James and actually has the liner notes from the monumental Selected Ambient Works Vol. II album etched into its bottom. "Curtains" is one of those four tracks (five if you buy the vinyl edition), and is possibly the most lighthearted of the bunch; it's immediately obvious that Solvent feels right at home writing music with even just a single piece of vintage analog hardware."

Neat

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest hahathhat

there was a thread here about that CS5 when it was on ebay.

it wasn't ebay, it was vemia!!

always wondered what happened to it. now we know! glad someone made a thread about it

Guest sickboy

ha ha kaini was wrong about something ;p

Guest sirch

lol

Just read about this on Matrixsynth too, there was this video link also.

"Artist: Solvent

Title: RDJCS5-ep

Label/Cat: Suction Records / suction022

Format: 4-song EP digital/lim.12" vinyl

Release Date: Sept. 6, 2011

Occasionally one reads about some musical instrument with an illustrious past, Jimi Hendrix's guitar, John Lennon's piano, selling for exorbitant amounts of money at auction. And typically, that's the last of it, the instrument disappearing into some rich collector's display case, never to be heard from again. Here then, is a bit of a different story. In April 2006, a Yamaha CS5 monosynth, having been owned by Richard D James (Aphex Twin), with the actual liner notes for his landmark "Selected Ambient Works Volume II" etched into the bottom, was sold at VEMIA auction for approximately $1200 - a bargain in retrospect. The winning bidder was, in fact, a friend of Solvent's, and the synth resides not in a display case, but in Solvent's studio, on generous long-term loan.

"RDJCS5", a new 4-track 12-inch / digital EP by Solvent, is the result. This is Suction022. Each and every sound on this record came from RDJ's old CS5, painstakingly programmed and multi-tracked by Solvent over the course of several months. The limited capabilities and sound palette of this humble little synth provided quite a challenge, but ultimately the results are not merely an exercise in technical synthnerdery; "RDJCS5" speaks more of Solvent's musical kinship to thee Analord. Opening track "Curtains" bears similarity to early Rephlex signing Bochum Welt, while "Radiator", "Mould", and "Tassels" each contain hallmarks of the classic AFX sound. At the same time, each track also sounds distinctly and unmistakably 'Solvent'.

The 12" vinyl edition is limited to 300 copies, in brown chipboard sleeve with sticker, and also contains an additional noise/drone piece at the end of side B. Entitled "Sandpaper", this cut will be individually hand-etched by Solvent, for a 1-of-a-kind cut/click/loop experience.

A1: Curtains

A2: Radiator

B1: Mould

B2: Tassels

B3: Sandpaper [vinyl-exclusive]"

is it me or does this just come across as kinda lame? music sounds nice enough, but nothing to write home about. not to mention that selling an EP on the basis of who once owned the synth used is pretty dumb.

also, despite the disclaimer, willing to bet that solvent did buy the synth, not his friend, but he's just to shy to admit shelling out that much on a CS5

Guest sirch

In April 2006, a Yamaha CS5 monosynth, having been owned by Richard D James (Aphex Twin), with the actual liner notes for his landmark "Selected Ambient Works Volume II" etched into the bottom, was sold at VEMIA auction for approximately $1200 - a bargain in retrospect. The winning bidder was, in fact, a friend of Solvent's, and the synth resides not in a display case, but in Solvent's studio, on generous long-term loan.

despite the disclaimer, willing to bet that solvent did buy the synth, not his friend, but he's just to shy to admit shelling out that much on a CS5

that's like £500 more than they're worth! you could get 3 CS-5's for that price! lol

is it me or does this just come across as kinda lame? music sounds nice enough, but nothing to write home about. not to mention that selling an EP on the basis of who once owned the synth used is pretty dumb.

yeah, i agree. this is pretty sad.

how i can go on living now that i've been wrong about a random rdj trainspotter fact, i just don't know.

Some of my XLR and jack cables used to belong to shitmat, they're being used on my new album!! OMG!!!!

lol I see the point you're trying to make here, but I can imagine being a tad more inspired by an actual synth / sound generator than cables and jacks.

Regarding Solvent's concept album it sounds nice in the previews. I think the history of the gear adds some interest and stirs things up in our little music nerd community. What's not to like?

the embarrassing EP title and track titles.

Yeah, if it wasn't for the BTW DID I MENTION THIS IS THE SYNTH WHAT WAS USED BY THE APHEX TWIN aspect it would be a pretty nice synthpop EP. Well, it still is, but...

Some of my XLR and jack cables used to belong to shitmat, they're being used on my new album!! OMG!!!!
lol I see the point you're trying to make here, but I can imagine being a tad more inspired by an actual synth / sound generator than cables and jacks.Regarding Solvent's concept album it sounds nice in the previews. I think the history of the gear adds some interest and stirs things up in our little music nerd community. What's not to like?

yeah, of course, but it's not as though the synth contains the spirit of RDJ, and Solvent has managed to channel that into his music. if it wasn't for the synth connection this would be slated as "another AFX rip-off", I fail to see how the use of this particular synth changes that.

I do like the fact that the synth continues to be used, and isn't just collecting dust somewhere. It's just a shame that half of that useage is promotional.

Fairly facepalmy. On the topic of gear that used to belong to other musicians, I have an APC 40 that used to belong to the main guy in Pendulum, no joke. I'm not gonna start making bad drum and bass with it anytime soon

lol I see the point you're trying to make here, but I can imagine being a tad more inspired by an actual synth / sound generator than cables and jacks.Regarding Solvent's concept album it sounds nice in the previews. I think the history of the gear adds some interest and stirs things up in our little music nerd community. What's not to like?

yeah, of course, but it's not as though the synth contains the spirit of RDJ, and Solvent has managed to channel that into his music. if it wasn't for the synth connection this would be slated as "another AFX rip-off", I fail to see how the use of this particular synth changes that.

I do like the fact that the synth continues to be used, and isn't just collecting dust somewhere. It's just a shame that half of that useage is promotional.

i wonder if it had any presets stored (if the CS5 can do that?)

reminds me of when orbital auctioned off a bunch of stuff with presets from all their big tracks.

Archived