IGNORED

Copying a MIDI channel to another project in Cubase

Guest mollekula

Guest mollekula

hi guys, could you people who use Cubase tell if its possible to copy a MIDI channel as it is set on one project to another one, so that the VSTi that the MIDI channel is assorted to and the VST effects that the channel has on inserts and sends are copied with the MIDI data? it works fine when i copy an audio channel, i just have 2 projects open, one to copy from and one to copy to. What i do is mark the channel, then mark all the MIDI data, press Alt and drag the audio to another project and it is copied exactly with all the VSTs. can the same thing happen with MIDI? ive tried it the same way, the MIDI data is copied but without the VSTi and the VSTs.

the vsti info is not stored on the midi channel, it's where the info on the midi channel gets sent to.

so yeah, you could copy all the midi info on that channel, but you'd have to load the instruments again in the new project.

once you've loaded up the vsti, all the automation etc should work fine.

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

If that is really that hard to do, you should try Cockos REAPER, you can put 5 different projects in different tabs and easily copy shit from one to the other.

Guest hahathhat

If that is really that hard to do, you should try Cockos REAPER, you can put 5 different projects in different tabs and easily copy shit from one to the other.

because that'll really help him with his cubase projects.

I don't know if this is possible in Cubase but in Logic you can save the Channel Strip and open it in another project. Say you've made an AWESOME aux channel and you know you wnat to use this in multiple tracks from now on you can save this. Now if you can do this in Cubase as well you could just export the midi channel and import it into your new project.

EDIT: hmmmm... now I'm not sure I actually understood your question.

i dont even think it's possible within one project. there is an option called "automation follows events", when checked on, automation associated with a midi event is moved/copied when the event is moved/copied. however, the vsti track is unaffected. ive asked this question on the cubase forums, here, and various other places, and i havent found a way to even do this within the same project. it's a pain in the ass to manually copy the automation data in the vsti to another location in addition to copying the midi event. at least i just found out the other day that I can select all the nodes in all the automation lanes for a particular vsti track instead of just one automation lane at a time.

Guest mollekula

EDIT: hmmmm... now I'm not sure I actually understood your question.

this is an example of what i want to do. lets say i want to copy MIDI 04 channel to a new project which you can see in the picture. MIDI 04 is assigned to Absynth and has these 3 plugins as inserts, so i want to copy it as it is to the new one.

http://img716.images.../3748/midih.jpg

Guest mollekula

when draggin an "audio" channel to a new one or any other project yes, it works perfectly. yesterday i was experimenting on some sounds and they sounded perfectly in my mind with a piece i had written a month ago. thats why i needed to copy these sounds to the old project. i had no problem dragging the 'audio' channels to the project i wanted, but when dragging a "midi" channel unfortunately only the MIDI data could be dragged. i had to reopen manually the VSTi synths and set again the sound of the synth. and as far as inserts go, i had to save one by one the settings of the effects, reopen the same VSTs in correct order, and reload the effects settings i had saved earlier. you understand what kind of pain in the ass it is. But the reason i really need to learn how to do it (if its possible) is a piece im working on which has more than 30 channels. the project seems to be corrupted, because after opening the project and working on it, every time i try to save it (every few minutes that is) i get a message that the "project can not be saved either because of too much memory or because the project is corrupted. i tried to "save to a new project" which didnt help, checked the CPU performance, the display of which showed that it was using only half of the computers power. so the only thing left is that project got corrupted. it is a very important piece for me, probably the best one i have written so far. so moving 15-20 MIDI channels manually, and then setting all the VSTs and the inserts manually again is something that is killing me

Guest mollekula

if you're saving every few minutes, perhaps you can find a recovery point that isn't corrupted?

how do i do that? unless you mean using history to find that uncorrupted point. in this case i dont know if that would work because i kept working on the project these days, saving it every 20 secs or something, so that i dont get the 'cant save' message. i had the inspiration and in order not to loose it kept working, i remember one day i had to open/close the project or Cubase itself more than 30 times. but i got so frustrated in the end that my inspiration got fucked up and i just gave up, its impossible to work this way. so in case i dont find a way to do what i need to, ill have to spend a whole day moving it all manually. thats a freaky idea because id rather work on the piece and go further. but i guess if i dont have a choice ill have to do it.

what version of cubase sx is that? maybe you should upgrade to at least cubase 4. i did and i noticed a lot of bugs went away, and it is a lot more stable.

also if the project is that corrupted, but the track is real important and you dont want to lose work, you might just be best off creating a new project and copying/pasting everything into that piece by piece. it will take a while, but it depends on how important that track is to you

Guest mollekula

what version of cubase sx is that?

its Cubase SX3, Version 3.1.1, Build 944. i find it very comfortable actually. I never had any problems with it on my older AMD computer, even though it was much much slower. As soon as I started working on this Intel i7 computer i began having bugs. i dont know why because the computer is super fast, maybe i have to reinstall Cubase or XP.

also if the project is that corrupted, but the track is real important and you dont want to lose work, you might just be best off creating a new project and copying/pasting everything into that piece by piece. it will take a while, but it depends on how important that track is to you

yes, i guess in case i dont find a way, i wont be able to avoid it and will have to copy/paste everything into a new project channel by channel. the piece is very important, even though the way i imagine it in my mind its only in the beginings.

Hay smart ass, I'm just suggesting that his DAW might be a bit wack yo. Fuck Cubase projects, fuck da projects in general. Trying to help him with the bigger picture here, tryin to step up da game on his in real lyfe dawg

Hay smart ass, I'm just suggesting that his DAW might be a bit wack yo. Fuck Cubase projects, fuck da projects in general. Trying to help him with the bigger picture here, tryin to step up da game on his in real lyfe dawg

blanket fort collapse has a point you guys

Guest hahathhat

if someone comes to you and says, "my tape player is having problem xyz" they are not going to be amused to hear "that wouldn't happen with a digital recorder." it's true, but it doesn't solve the problem.

that, and i think reaper is a piece of overhyped crap with a fan club.

LoL. Thanks for the lesson oh wise master, that shit never occurred to me. You're right, totally on point and knowledgeable on all that is Cockos REAPER. It's totally gay, really dumb that they charged me $40 for 2 years worth of updates (which they update with new features the community requests approximately every 2 weeks) for a DAW that feels like I a fucking angelic miracle god send AFTER USING CUBASE FOR NEARLY 5 YEARS (and trying every other DAW I have ever heard of)

You're so right, everything about Cockos REAPER is super lame and I feel like an asshole for suggesting it.

i use reaper and cubase and i find that reaper struggles when it comes to GUI and has a tendency to have many more bugs. it has some nice features but i guess that's the price to pay for a product that you are basically paying for the beta.

Archived