IGNORED

WATMM Homebrew Thread

Hautlle

Man, a brewery in Topeka, KS called Blind Tiger had this Coffee Porter last winter.... It was so fucking good that it kind of ruined coffee beers for me because I haven't been able to find anything that compares since then. I'm planning on racking to coarse ground beans for secondary and just tasting it regularly until I like it. I'm about to start my brew in an hour or so. I'll post an update later tonight :w00t:

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been home brewing for a few years now. I've made several different times of beer, from stouts to IPA's and just experimenting with my own recopies. My specialty is hard ciders. Right now I'm brewing a creation of my own which is a heff with a hint of chocolate malt. It tastes kinda like new castle but not..

Opened my very first beer tonight. I know it's not ready yet, but I've been tasting throughout the process to learn how it changes. Here's right after the pour:

dvlFi.jpg

It's darker than it should be, more malty/caramelly sweet too. I'm pretty sure this is because I did a partial boil with an initial 2.5gallons of water. Adding in all my malt extract and then boiling caramellized the sugars more than if I had done a full boil. I did a 3.5 gallon initial on my second batch, so we'll see how that one fairs. The taste is good with the hops bitterness rounding out the back and it finishes pretty clean. Looking forward to when this is closer to its prime :sup:

Porter got moved to secondary so I can start a Black IPA tomorrow :sup: It has a bit of a "cidery" taste to it that I'm pretty sure is from the 1lb of Turbinado Sugar I added to up the alcohol content. The sugar itself tastes somewhat like toffee/molasses but I've heard sucrose will lead to that taste. Perhaps I overdid it a bit?. I'm hoping that the coffee + vanilla will balance it all out once it conditions in the bottle for a few months.

IMG_20110924_195427.jpg

maybe you can make watmm spring water?

or there is a great infomercial out for creating soda from scratch...be creative with that.

This isn't really my response to what you said there: My wife gets all kinds of "Food & Wine", "Sunset", and other types of cool magazines with recipes. and I saw an article with Maynard of Tool (your av) and he making wine and stuff. I didn't know he did that!

maynardwine.jpg

or there is a great infomercial out for creating soda from scratch...be creative with that.

This isn't really my response to what you said there: My wife gets all kinds of "Food & Wine", "Sunset", and other types of cool magazines with recipes. and I saw an article with Maynard of Tool (your av) and he making wine and stuff. I didn't know he did that!

maynardwine.jpg

There's a great Documentary about it Asymm!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BWDw6_UN5U

Porter got moved to secondary so I can start a Black IPA tomorrow :sup: It has a bit of a "cidery" taste to it that I'm pretty sure is from the 1lb of Turbinado Sugar I added to up the alcohol content. The sugar itself tastes somewhat like toffee/molasses but I've heard sucrose will lead to that taste. Perhaps I overdid it a bit?. I'm hoping that the coffee + vanilla will balance it all out once it conditions in the bottle for a few months.

IMG_20110924_195427.jpg

that looks amazing. I have been really digging black IPAs/CDAs lately. Fucking delicious.

I just started a Black IPA on Sunday! Didn't even update the thread haha. Pictures can be found in this google album 9.15lbs of liquid malt extract, 2lbs of specialty grains, 6oz of hops. 3oz in the boil for various times, 3 oz dryhopped. The wort tasted delicious for the OG sample (1070) should end up around 6% I'd imagine.

IMG_20110925_154637.jpg

Actually, yes. Toasting malted grains gives color/flavor to the beer. The darker grains were toasted, they don't contribute sugar to the wort, only flavor.

IMG_20110925_154619.jpg

But you wouldn't do that with a toaster :tongue:

Guest uptown devil

my roommates oktoberfest lager:

briansoktoberfest.jpg

he is putting it on draft in a week or two after a two month wait. we gave it a taste when we transferred it a while back and it's gonna be so damn delicious.

i went to a beer tasting dinner in asbury park, new jersey over the weekend and had a chance to talk with owner of the featured brewery. it was pretty inspiring stuff.. he had spent his last ten years working as an accountant or something like that, meanwhile brewing in his spare time at home. he experimented heavily for a while and eventually perfected a few recipes, and then used his business swag to get investors to back him financially.

he also spoke of a 'oatmeal brown' he had in the works, which sounds completely fucking delicious to me. the oatmeal stout genre is a definite favorite of mine and i never would have thought to make an oatmeal brown.. going to have to give that one a try in the next couple of brews.

it's my birthday next week and asked the missus for a starter homebrew set. i'm soooooo excited!

Awesome man! Hope you enjoy as much as I have. The waiting sucks but the reward is worth it. I'm having a huge grill out with my family tonight and I'm providing the brew :sup:

maynardwine.jpg

There's a great Documentary about it Asymm!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BWDw6_UN5U

yes both the wine and doc are fantastic. my wife and i actually visited his tasting room when we were in arizona last year. it really is good wine. price point is well over my head but fantastic, especially for a "celebrity" wine. but i bought a few bottles anyway cause im a fanboy.

and definitely watch blood into wine if you even remotely care about wine. it is cool, plus it shows maynard in a different light which is very cool too.

I used to help my Dad make some wine when younger, so pretty excited to give it a go because it brings back good memories. Most of the wine got turned into mulled wine at Christmas. This thread inspired me to ask for a kit, cos I was a bit stuck for what I wanted for my bday.

Gone for a nice IPA to try first:

http://www.innhousebrewery.co.uk/p35531/John-Bull-IPA.html

Gonna use a beer kit enhancer pack with it I think.

Got a sweet cellar in our new house, so seems like a good way to make use of a nice cool dark space!

Archived