IGNORED

Selected Ambient Works 85-92 (As it was created?)

Guest Garkken

How was created this great album? Under the influence of what? (I mean music). What synths were used?

In general, any information about this album that could be interesting!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really, Carl Craig is the godfather of Techno. He's responsible for the Psyche/BFC alias. Some great songs.

If you want a really great Psyche/BFC release, check out Elements: 1989-1990 (where the From Beyond song comes from). This is another great Psyche/BFC track from that release:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym7SH8a385s

Really superb track, one of my favourites.

Also, back on the subject of SAW 85-92, there's a lot more to this release than meets the eye. I've been asked to dig through my archives for more info for an upcoming reissue of this classic album, so if I come across anything worth posting, I'll be sure to do so. Almost every track has a story behind it or some alternate meaning, and what's more interesting is the tracks that didn't make the cut - there were more that didn't then there were that did!

Also, back on the subject of SAW 85-92, there's a lot more to this release than meets the eye. I've been asked to dig through my archives for more info for an upcoming reissue of this classic album, so if I come across anything worth posting, I'll be sure to do so. Almost every track has a story behind it or some alternate meaning, and what's more interesting is the tracks that didn't make the cut - there were more that didn't then there were that did!

why cant those tracks be released T_T

Didn't R&S just re-issue this album? Is there another one coming out?

Almost every track has a story behind it or some alternate meaning, and what's more interesting is the tracks that didn't make the cut - there were more that didn't then there were that did!

Um, more info please? :D You can't just tease everyone like that!

Didn't R&S just re-issue this album? Is there another one coming out?

Really, Carl Craig is the godfather of Techno. He's responsible for the Psyche/BFC alias. Some great songs.

If you want a really great Psyche/BFC release, check out Elements: 1989-1990 (where the From Beyond song comes from). This is another great Psyche/BFC track from that release:

It's a fantastic album, but it's also the only music I like from him. Has he made more stuff similar to this?

Yeah, if you just want an equipment list, read Benjamin Middleton's 1992 USENET post on the subject, but the point is he was using cheap gear but getting a great sound out of it because the music itself was interesting and not what everyone else was doing. So it would be a fallacy to rush out and buy a DX-100 or anything, the point is you can use pretty much anything to make great music. Just learn to innovate.

atari sequencer

yamaha dx7

tb-303

modified sh-101

modified tr-808

home made sampler

home made synth modules

home made effects

home made midi-cv converters

alesis reverbs

korg ms-20

yamaha cs-5

old hi-fi tape recorder

he was lucky to get some equipment when the analogues were cheap

How was created this great album? Under the influence of what? (I mean music). What synths were used?

In general, any information about this album that could be interesting!

Somebody on this forum, don't remember who, came with this track as it resembles Pulsewidth alot, and came out in 1990, so this must have been an influence.

Guest never the machine forever

:o

So, like, I've never really got why people treat this album like it was something totally new & different that changed the face of techno. I mean, don't get me wrong - it's a really nice album with a distinct voice, but at the same time to me it's tonally very much in the same vein as some of the stuff that had come in the decade before it (see: examples in this thread). Was it the sort of microtonal sound? The use of noise samples? Did it bring this particular style to a wider audience than it had received previously?

So, like, I've never really got why people treat this album like it was something totally new & different that changed the face of techno. I mean, don't get me wrong - it's a really nice album with a distinct voice, but at the same time to me it's tonally very much in the same vein as some of the stuff that had come in the decade before it (see: examples in this thread). Was it the sort of microtonal sound? The use of noise samples? Did it bring this particular style to a wider audience than it had received previously?

Because, there isn't an album quite like SAW 85-92. Its in a league of its own, just the melodies, the way everything was placed. the song structure...

Because, there isn't an album quite like SAW 85-92. Its in a league of its own, just the melodies, the way everything was placed. the song structure...

I'm talking more about all the people who speculate about how he produced those sounds, and that he must have been using bizarre homemade synths/exotic gear found in a junkshop somewhere. To me it mostly sounds like cleanish synth sounds run through digital reverbs & lofi recording equipment. It isn't so much new sound concepts as pre-existing ones being put to good use.

Archived