IGNORED

teenage engineering op 1

Guest yikes

can't wait for that PO sync, everything else is a bonus

That said though, crossfade tape loops and the arpeggiator sound super promising.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

someone is reverse engineering/hacking op-1 and has successfully compiled custom a firmware that functions. has added a couple of new visuals.

here's some of the unfinished te assets found from data mining (these are a bit old and have been shown before fyi)

TI71FLAID5PS.pngYCU4D88IQUKR.pnghZplqjS.pngAPJ5P1YCQE8O.png

discussion thread: https://www.operator-1.com/index.php?p=/discussion/2232/custom-firmware-on-the-op-1#latest

• 3 weeks later...

Does it make any sense to get one of these now?

In what regard?? TE are still developing it (albeit a bit slowly) so new synths, fx etc are getting added.

So it makes sense to get one if you like the idea of a portable synth/sampler/drum machine etc.

In what regard?? TE are still developing it (albeit a bit slowly) so new synths, fx etc are getting added.

So it makes sense to get one if you like the idea of a portable synth/sampler/drum machine etc.

Guess I was curious if they were still supporting it (sounds like it) and also if they mentioned an op-2 at all.

Looks like the hacking community has begun modding it? Is there longevity in that?

I've been kinda in a creative rut for a while that I'm desperately trying to break out of but I keep starting the same kinds of songs. I had to downsize my living condition so I don't have a studio persay anymore and most of my gear is in boxes. I just got a bonus from work so I was considering getting one of these.

Guess I was curious if they were still supporting it (sounds like it) and also if they mentioned an op-2 at all.

Looks like the hacking community has begun modding it? Is there longevity in that?

I've been kinda in a creative rut for a while that I'm desperately trying to break out of but I keep starting the same kinds of songs. I had to downsize my living condition so I don't have a studio persay anymore and most of my gear is in boxes. I just got a bonus from work so I was considering getting one of these.

i mean. it's no silver bullet. getting one won't magically grant you creativity+10 but it's by far my favorite piece of hardware i own. take it on vacations, just chill with it in bed before falling asleep. the hacking stuff is still really new so it's hard to know what kind of longevity lives there. i would easily part with all of my other hardware over the op-1 though.

I've watched some videos on youtube and it seems pretty common to sample the radio as a starting point which seems like a great way to get inspiration for cheap.

Yeah, I like tuning in to local metal radio shows and recording random unknown metal riffs for my dethwave stuff.

It's also very nice for sound design and synthesis. The synth engines are simple enough to tweak freely but sufficiently weird.

I saw that you when you sample something with the OP-1 that you can mess with the start and end points, but is it a full blown granular synthesis engine you can modulate?

hmm... i don't think you can modulate everything independently but you should be able to get some stuff going with one of the lfos? i haven't tried it before honestly. i took my op1 on holiday this past weekend with family and my niece and nephew got a huge kick out of me recording their voices and playing it up and down the keyboard adding effects. the microphone is surprisingly good sounding imo.

and yeah sampling the radio is huge fun.

I also read that it outputs and/or export to mono. Is this a big limitation in your workflow?

it hasn't been to/for me. keep in mind that i'm not attempting to create some opus and mainly just like to play with instruments for my own enjoyment. not to release to public. if you ultimately wanted to add stereo effects to tracks you can export the tape tracks to a daw for further effecting/final mastering and whatnot.

also, you can pan any of the four tape tracks anyway you want but you can't get like ping pong delay where it bounces back and forth from side to side (i don't think). so i mean, you can get stereo output from it but it's pretty limited

yeah, tbh I'm not too fussed about the tape tracks being mono. That said, I don't really use mine very often! I really need to get some kind of USB->DIN MIDI solution so I can sequence/sync it from the monomachine.

At $400AU it seems like a bit of an overkill solution. I'm looking into doing it using a raspberry pi, since it's cheaper than even the kenton usb midi host.

Just got one and it's very fun to use! I like the tape approach very much so far. Reminds me of the joy of being hunched over the SP-303 making resample beats all night.

I hope the beta sorts out the clicks when looping though. (I use a lot of long sustaining pads and textures in my tracks, so clicks are very apparent)

Just got one and it's very fun to use! I like the tape approach very much so far. Reminds me of the joy of being hunched over the SP-303 making resample beats all night.

I hope the beta sorts out the clicks when looping though. (I use a lot of long sustaining pads and textures in my tracks, so clicks are very apparent)

It has for the most part :)

I got one of these after a bonus from work.

I love it thus far! Most of the time I have no fucking clue what the knobs are doing and I prefer this which broke down my thinking of traditional subtractive synthesis. It sounds amazing... both the synths and the effects. I love the tape engine. I love the sequencers. I actually place the OP-1 between me and my qwerty keyboard as I code and find myself twiddling tunes out quite regularly. 

Biggest thing I wish the OP-1 had was 8 tracks instead of 4. I appreciate the limitations and need for creativity but after a week or so my brain does not want to be shoved into only 4 tracks (despite overdubbing and whatnot). I end up copying 2 tracks over (usually drums and bass) 16 bars and having other elements in the other 2 tracks so that when I import it all into the computer I have a plethora of ideas to fuck around with.

Also I wish I could quantize some of my shit timing when I play to tape.

It could be a byproduct of shit radio in my area, but I find myself using the radio sampler far less than I should. Also I read the DNA synth is rubbish and I've been having quite a good time with it. I also very much want the accessories available (crank and bend) despite thinking they were pointless early on in my research. Also those PO's look sick as fuck.

I can answer my previous question that yes you can control the start/end/loop points of a samples via LFO's thus making it a granular synthesis but I don't think it is a fine grained as I want it to be, and I think thats ok to pair something like this with Samplr on the iPad.

Also, I can't quite figure out yet how to record myself playing some chords on the guitar and chopping them up.

Overall, I don't regret the purchase, its fun as hell and sounds great.

The DNA synth is cool, at least on mine it sounds really harsh but last night I got some almost FM acid sounds out of it. It's also good to just get really noisy and textural.

I nearly sold mine but I'm now in a situation where I might end up using it as a live synth more often (might be joining a band soon)—I think that's really where it shines tbh. I may still try to sync it to the monomachine via pi though.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thinking about picking one of these up after Christmas. Is there anything similar in terms of portability? I'm looking for something that I can fiddle around with at my girlfriend's or in my car on work breaks

Archived