IGNORED

teenage engineering op 1

Guest yikes

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest RadarJammer

It would rock if they open sourced a game engine for this thing. The drum machine sounds/looks pretty useful but can you turn off the annoying hipster douche animation? I'm not sure how a silly looking dude in a red vest and a lame periwinkle haircut is supposed to inspire creativity.

sorry guys this thing is fucking awesome, but watmm likes to diss on amazing gear that they've never used like the tempest, so it's ok.

the Tempest is ace but a little overpriced (in the uk anyways)

and so is the op1, which is unfortunate. IF the op1 was $400 i think people wouldn't so hard on it.

these links are 2 good examples of how this thing (if you can separate judgement for the gui) is capable of a far range of sounds

http://jogginghouse.bandcamp.com/

http://sonoio.org/

these are albums made with op1

that sonoio album has way more than just the op1 on it, tho. tons of analog modular synth on his stuff.

as far as i know the second one is just OP-1. in much the same way that the first album was just Buchla stuff. That was kinda the whole point of the SONOIO project.

Dunno if Cortini changed that tack though for the second album...

Guest EleminoP

sorry guys this thing is fucking awesome, but watmm likes to diss on amazing gear that they've never used like the tempest, so it's ok.

Well if you'd invite me over to your house I could try it out.

from his reddit interview when RED was released:

Q: Can you give an overview of the synths/computers you use for the current record and their strengths/functions? I remember the Buchla a while back and I saw that thing in the Enough video that looks like a tiny keyboard. I'm not even close to knowing about these things but I'm sure other people would be interested in your setup since that's a big part of your music.

A: Computer : Mac Pro Nehalem Octo 2.23 Software : Logic Pro 9, UAD2 plug ins, Sound Toys, AudioDamage, ValhallaDSP. Synths: mostly Buchla 200/200e.Two songs were written and recorded with an Elektron Monomachine and MachineDrum respectively. The tiny Keyboard is a Teenage Engineering OP-1, which is one of the most creative pieces of art/instruments i have had the pleasure to work with. Live, i use it as a vocal effect and for drones/synth parts/ general fiddling around with noise.

from his reddit interview when RED was released:

Q: Can you give an overview of the synths/computers you use for the current record and their strengths/functions? I remember the Buchla a while back and I saw that thing in the Enough video that looks like a tiny keyboard. I'm not even close to knowing about these things but I'm sure other people would be interested in your setup since that's a big part of your music.

A: Computer : Mac Pro Nehalem Octo 2.23 Software : Logic Pro 9, UAD2 plug ins, Sound Toys, AudioDamage, ValhallaDSP. Synths: mostly Buchla 200/200e.Two songs were written and recorded with an Elektron Monomachine and MachineDrum respectively. The tiny Keyboard is a Teenage Engineering OP-1, which is one of the most creative pieces of art/instruments i have had the pleasure to work with. Live, i use it as a vocal effect and for drones/synth parts/ general fiddling around with noise.

ahh so he did change the whole point of the project. shame.

I'm a 95% analogue nerd, but I'd still love to get an OP-1, it just looks like great fun and perfect for when you're stuck in a train / plane / boring relative's house. Things are allowed be fun! I'm probably going to buy one once I clear this massive credit card debt I have.

the Tempest is ace but a little overpriced (in the uk anyways)

and so is the op1, which is unfortunate. IF the op1 was $400 i think people wouldn't so hard on it.

these links are 2 good examples of how this thing (if you can separate judgement for the gui) is capable of a far range of sounds

Not to mention the possibilities when you connect the OP-1 to a far more experimental sideway. The FM radio seems to be a lot of fun for plundering the radio while you can sample also beatless things with it.

Especially if you are into musique concreté stuff you can act as a derwish with that digital tape machine.

I think the problem is that there is only house-related stuff out their made with OP-1. Would be great to get a more abstract release made with this tool.

I also want one. It's maybe gadget-like but I can not judge this point to some youtube videos.

If you feel limited by the OP-1 cross it with a DAW. Than you can prepare things before you maybe can not create with the OP.

1.) I am a sucker for the design of this thing. I guess being a fan of portable/handheld music making devices, it's just right up my alley. I cannot justify the price but I certainly wouldn't turn one away if someone wanted to get one for me. ;-)

2.) I think I posted this elsewhere, but one of my favorite recent albums "Everybody Sweat" by Duke Slammer is apparently made entirely with the OP-1. http://www.junodownl...eat/1806846-02/ Great, funky album. This is a Lukes Anger (Luke Sanger) alias.

aren't iPads good for this too?

i've downloaded practically every piece of music software for the Ipad and Iphone

first things i noticed is

-HUGE void/lack of sampling applications that do anything interesting, far too much focus on synthesis

-out of every synth available for the Ipad/iphone 95% of them are generic 2 oscillator subtractive synthesizers. There are a few exceptions but honestly the Op1 still beats the iphone in terms of synth variety. More different genres of synths on the Op1 than i've used in my entire ipad software library

- there are 4 track recorders for Ipad but none of them even hold a candle to the pleasure of using the virtual tape machine on the Op1. I haven't even used much real computer software that is as cool as the tape machine on the Op1

Op1 as far as a pleasurable, fun and immediate results music making tool has been far more satisfying to me than the Ipad. I still find the Ipad to be more of a fun toy or something that you absolutely have to implement with a DAW to get great results from. As a stand a lone music maker, im not convinced yet. Its only a matter of time that the Ipad gets there, and it's only a matter of time before people realize the Op1 is this generations Yamaha Qy10/20/70 .

1.) I am a sucker for the design of this thing. I guess being a fan of portable/handheld music making devices, it's just right up my alley. I cannot justify the price but I certainly wouldn't turn one away if someone wanted to get one for me. ;-)

the price does seem very high, but i think most people who have experience with digital synths will understand the price tag after playing with one for a few hours. I had a friend come by the other night who was skeptical and one of his immediate reactions was 'woah this really is an $800 synth'

the price does seem very high, but i think most people who have experience with digital synths will understand the price tag after playing with one for a few hours. I had a friend come by the other night who was skeptical and one of his immediate reactions was 'woah this really is an $800 synth'

Its £669 in the uk which to my mind is still kinda expensive. That said I take you're point in terms of it sorting of competing with the Ipad on price but not with an Ipod Touch no way!! I got my Ipod Touch 3 secondhand for £80 and with Beatmaker 2 which has sampling, samples plus subtractive sample synthesis the OP-1 can't compete imo.

Archived