IGNORED

teenage engineering op 1

Guest yikes

1.) I am a sucker for the design of this thing. I guess being a fan of portable/handheld music making devices, it's just right up my alley. I cannot justify the price but I certainly wouldn't turn one away if someone wanted to get one for me. ;-)

the price does seem very high, but i think most people who have experience with digital synths will understand the price tag after playing with one for a few hours. I had a friend come by the other night who was skeptical and one of his immediate reactions was 'woah this really is an $800 synth'

Its £669 in the uk which to my mind is still kinda expensive. That said I take you're point in terms of it sorting of competing with the Ipad on price but not with an Ipod Touch no way!! I got my Ipod Touch 3 secondhand for £80 and with Beatmaker 2 which has sampling, samples plus subtractive sample synthesis the OP-1 can't compete imo.

hmm, an Ipod touch for music making…… the OP-1 is still hardware for musical production and the other is a …… well…… Ipod. I think you cannot say that an Ipod beats music hardware.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll take another look at the OP-1 when Autechre start using one :-P

they clearly already are, and im sure they were early adopters of the tempest too. I would seriously eat my own show if Autechre is NOT currently using the shit out of this thing. It's probably the closest piece of gear aesthetically to the machinedrum/monomachine out there in some ways even more pure pleasure and fun (not more powerful though).

1.) I am a sucker for the design of this thing. I guess being a fan of portable/handheld music making devices, it's just right up my alley. I cannot justify the price but I certainly wouldn't turn one away if someone wanted to get one for me. ;-)

the price does seem very high, but i think most people who have experience with digital synths will understand the price tag after playing with one for a few hours. I had a friend come by the other night who was skeptical and one of his immediate reactions was 'woah this really is an $800 synth'

Its £669 in the uk which to my mind is still kinda expensive. That said I take you're point in terms of it sorting of competing with the Ipad on price but not with an Ipod Touch no way!! I got my Ipod Touch 3 secondhand for £80 and with Beatmaker 2 which has sampling, samples plus subtractive sample synthesis the OP-1 can't compete imo.

hmm, an Ipod touch for music making…… the OP-1 is still hardware for musical production and the other is a …… well…… Ipod. I think you cannot say that an Ipod beats music hardware.

well the Ipad i think eventually will be capable of competing with certain music hardware, its just not there yet in terms of what software exists. If Abelton or Reason came out for it it would tip the scale a lot.

edit: the Lemur touch screen, at a price of $2500 has now been equalled by ipad software

you got your iPod touch second hand, so yes it is competing. your second hand purchase doesn't count at all in any discussion concerning items bought brand new.

you got your iPod touch second hand, so yes it is competing. your second hand purchase doesn't count at all in any discussion concerning items bought brand new.

Sure it does 'cause you can get a brand new Ipod Touch for £150 so definitely still competes plus the portability of Ipod Touch is superior to the OP-1 and Ipad.

Sure it does 'cause you can get a brand new Ipod Touch for £150 so definitely still competes plus the portability of Ipod Touch is superior to the OP-1 and Ipad.

some people think that physical interaction with controls is more intuitive and efficient than on-screen touch controls.

whether that warrants such a price is of course subjective opinion.

I'll take another look at the OP-1 when Autechre start using one :-P

they clearly already are, and im sure they were early adopters of the tempest too. I would seriously eat my own show if Autechre is NOT currently using the shit out of this thing. It's probably the closest piece of gear aesthetically to the machinedrum/monomachine out there in some ways even more pure pleasure and fun (not more powerful though).

well the Ipad i think eventually will be capable of competing with certain music hardware, its just not there yet in terms of what software exists. If Abelton or Reason came out for it it would tip the scale a lot.

edit: the Lemur touch screen, at a price of $2500 has now been equalled by ipad software

whoa Autechre have used an Op-1 and tempest? Prey tell where you got this information from my dear boy or post some evidence of this?

Also decent audio interfaces for the iPad have only just come out and there are some serious musics apps on the horizon especially with the new global midi.

Also decent audio interfaces for the iPad have only just come out and there are some serious musics apps on the horizon especially with the new global midi.

Oh right what's this global midi - sounds interesting?

some people think that physical interaction with controls is more intuitive and efficient than on-screen touch controls.

whether that warrants such a price is of course subjective opinion.

I gotta say making music on the Ipod Touch is very intuitive especially Beatmaker 2 and a lot more fun than most folks realise. I think the main short coming with the Ipod Touch/Iphone is that the virtual piano is small but that doesn't stop you making good music and obviously these new interfaces will with time make things more convenient.

I think the main problem is the ipod screen being so tiny and fingers being so big.

Does nobody else hate touchscreen interfaces like I do? The non tactile nature of the iPad etc is a big no no for me. Fingers are used to feeling things, and manipulating them, the swiping / rubbing interaction on a big smooth plate of glass we have with iPads, Lemurs etc is not a natural thing for human hands to do. They're used to feeling an object and manipulating it, not just wiping a uniform surface.

This is a big GUI design flaw in my opinion, and the reason I don't have an iPad. I do have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus phone and don't like the interface, I like things I can use with my eyes closed, because normally a good sign I'm getting good at using an instrument is when I can use it with my eyes closed, which doesn't really work so well with the iPad type interface.

I'm no industrial designer though, so maybe I'm completely wrong, but that's my amateur opinion, and why I'd take the OP-1 over ten iPads.

No, I totally thought about double posting to rant on that, but I didn't bother. I totally agree with your points...

whoa Autechre have used an Op-1 and tempest? Prey tell where you got this information from my dear boy or post some evidence of this?

i have absolutely no evidence to back it up except for their previous track record. they were extremely early adopters of the machinedrum, Nord modulars and to me these 2 devices are the next natural step for them. Especially since i've been noticing them using a lot of MPC and Xbase type sounds in their work recently, why on earth would they not get one of the most exciting drum machines in the last 10 years, the tempest?

Does nobody else hate touchscreen interfaces like I do? The non tactile nature of the iPad etc is a big no no for me. Fingers are used to feeling things, and manipulating them, the swiping / rubbing interaction on a big smooth plate of glass we have with iPads, Lemurs etc is not a natural thing for human hands to do. They're used to feeling an object and manipulating it, not just wiping a uniform surface.

This is a big GUI design flaw in my opinion, and the reason I don't have an iPad. I do have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus phone and don't like the interface, I like things I can use with my eyes closed, because normally a good sign I'm getting good at using an instrument is when I can use it with my eyes closed, which doesn't really work so well with the iPad type interface.

I'm no industrial designer though, so maybe I'm completely wrong, but that's my amateur opinion, and why I'd take the OP-1 over ten iPads.

i totally understand this, i have never felt at home on a touch screen interface making music.

i have absolutely no evidence to back it up except for their previous track record. they were extremely early adopters of the machinedrum, Nord modulars and to me these 2 devices are the next natural step for them. Especially since i've been noticing them using a lot of MPC and Xbase type sounds in their work recently, why on earth would they not get one of the most exciting drum machines in the last 10 years, the tempest?

I see what your saying but the OP-1 and Tempest to some degree are kinda like lot of good old ideas repackaged in a new box. The Elektron's and Nord Modulars were and still are quite ground breaking design concepts next to what came before.

I cant speak for Autechre but I'd be surprised if they went near an OP-1, sound wise it does nothing new.

I see what your saying but the OP-1 and Tempest to some degree are kinda like lot of good old ideas repackaged in a new box. The Elektron's and Nord Modulars were and still are quite ground breaking design concepts next to what came before.

I cant speak for Autechre but I'd be surprised if they went near an OP-1, sound wise it does nothing new.

What's so wrong about repackaging as you said? You don't have to buy a OP-1 when you mean to have the perfect work solution already. I don't have an OP-1 but what I have seen so far this is more than a "hipster" tool. And I will surely buy it also for the critically high price.

I think the problem nowadays is that everytime there must be a groundbreaking concept behind everything. A close friend of mine is often saying: "you cannot re-invent the wheel" and he's absolutely right about this.

I'm currently looking forward to somebody demonstrating me the OP-1 with abstract stuff. Than I will tell my opinion again about this.

Sorry if my first sentence sounds a bit angry. I really hate the discussion about things to be helpful or needless. If you dislike it, spend your money on other hardware.

What's so wrong about repackaging as you said? You don't have to buy a OP-1 when you mean to have the perfect work solution already. I don't have an OP-1 but what I have seen so far this is more than a "hipster" tool. And I will surely buy it also for the critically high price.

I think the problem nowadays is that everytime there must be a groundbreaking concept behind everything. A close friend of mine is often saying: "you cannot re-invent the wheel" and he's absolutely right about this.

I'm currently looking forward to somebody demonstrating me the OP-1 with abstract stuff. Than I will tell my opinion again about this.

Sorry if my first sentence sounds a bit angry. I really hate the discussion about things to be helpful or needless. If you dislike it, spend your money on other hardware.

they're talking about autechre using it. soundwave is giving the reasons as to why autechre would likely not be playing around with it.

Also how much is it? I mean seriously I wouldn't wanna spend anymore than £200-300 on something like that. Needs a proper keyboard too.

yeah it's about twice the price i would spend for it.

• 1 year later...
Guest AfterPark

You registered for that ?!

No. I registered because I heard this place was one of the friendliest places on the internet and everyone here had a great sense of humour. Was I mistaken?

Guest RadarJammer

You registered for that ?!

No. I registered because I heard this place was one of the friendliest places on the internet and everyone here had a great sense of humour. Was I mistaken?

u got served

Archived