IGNORED

Garbage

Redruth

Vletmx21 is my favourite of the lot on this EP. It's like a digital version of a Basinski release and is somehow completely frosty, dark and also lovely all at the same time....

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aye it is, the inside pages make it even clearer on the basis of the artwork:

R-2497-1131879939.jpeg

word GESCOM

One of my favorite Autechre EPs. It was nice to get it with tri repetae++, although I never really appreciated it fully in this context, garbage definitely needs to be heard on its own and not necessarily following anvil vapre (which is a completely different beast entirely).

Guest texan whip

garbage/amber era Ae is my favourite i have to say. i always go back to those releases and never tire of the sounds. so all that hype about oversteps sounding like amber and garbage got me quite hot and bothered. imagine how confused i was after listening to known (1) for the first time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I very much miss these tight, focused little EPs. They were all nice studies of an aesthetic niche, all the way up to Gantz Graf. Even EP7 felt more like this than an album. I hope they do more of these, but it seems like their paradigm has shifted away from them.

I think I see what you mean although ep7 kind of tests the limit here. why do you think their eps became less focused? actually, now that I think of it, after ep7 the eps really died down.

they used to have an album and 1-2 eps every year or so. I feel like oversteps/move of gay is something of a return to form honestly. It's just like the old days when you'd get an LP and the orbiting eps in the same ae phase.

I think I see what you mean although ep7 kind of tests the limit here.

It does, but I think it makes more sense as an Autechre EP than an Autechre LP. For me, this has more to do with pacing and variety than length of tracks or of the record overall. The individual tracks are DSP jams that, while sprawling, feel comparatively sketchy, organic and improvised in a way that's more appropriate for an EP. This opposed to the rich layering and detail massaging apparent on their albums, as well as the well-calibrated track-to-track flow.

why do you think their eps became less focused? actually, now that I think of it, after ep7 the eps really died down.

they used to have an album and 1-2 eps every year or so. I feel like oversteps/move of gay is something of a return to form honestly. It's just like the old days when you'd get an LP and the orbiting eps in the same ae phase.

I have an incredibly presumptuous theory that sometime around the release of Quaristice, releasing Autechre records started to feel like a just a day job for the fellas. I don't have much evidence to support this, it's mostly just a gut feeling.

Those older EPs each explored a theme over the course of a handful of tracks. And these seem to have provided a smaller-scale canvas on which to experiment, and became aesthetic or conceptual stepping stones between LPs. They were brimming with ideas at the time, and these EPs provided a format to release those that didn't work within the larger scale of the then-upcoming full-length, but were still worth exploring and sharing.

While the releases following their last 2 LPs were presented as EPs, I just don't feel that they are up to the standards of those earlier ones. I could imagine them feeling compelled, or being requested by Warp, to do this after not releasing an EP in the 3 years between Untilted and Quaristice. Not having much to draw from beyond what went into the LP, they mostly just remixed the LP material. These feel like a copout - they're not even very good as far as Autechre remixes go, although they had their moments. Lots of folks like these just fine, but records like Cichlisuite and Envane spoiled the shit out of me and I want better.

But what can you do? It's hard to keep things fun and fresh after 20 years and these guys have kids to worry about now, too, right? They're not teenagers drinking Vimto anymore. It's not fair to be so hard on them. Also I liked the Skull Snap EP and the other scattered 2011/2012 tracks a lot. They've given us so much good stuff over the years.

• 8 months later...

It's odd. I've been a rabid fan since Draft but I've only just started to appreciate Amber and Garbage this year.

It's also this year that I've started to appreciate BOC. But I don't know if that's related.

• 2 years later...

Aemx7 4.33

Bronchusevenmx24 tops Vletmx21 in my opinion. As beautiful as Vletmx is, the sounds of bronchuseven are almost psychedelic. I find it easy to lose track of time while I indulge.

Glad to see Bronchusevenmx24 getting some love, I totally agree with this statement.

Missed this first time around. Kind of surprised that other people feel this way too. This track is like amniotic fluid, or a beacon on a warm space station millions of miles from human life. Or when you wake up at 4 AM and the world seems to be asleep. The rest of this EP is good but this track is magic.

Garbage is my favorite ae release pre-chiastic slide. It has a timeless quality that their other earliest releases dont seem to have

There's something interesting about the spectral signature (mastering?) of this release - it's very "brown". Incunabula has a similar quality. Other than that quality, it seems like they really started to shed some of their structural cliches on Garbage and got into maximizing the conceptual surface area of the elements in play.

Also I think this is where the processing started to get interesting - there's some neat tricks on Incunabula and Amber but they were sort of on auto-pilot. On this EP they're an essential part of the environment.

• 7 months later...

This EP is so good, it has not aged at all, even though it stands in such stark contrast to so much of their work that has come after it. The track Garbage is just such a strange mash of feelings and styles, I still find it weird how well it works. It's mixed so well, too...everything has room to breathe until the last minute or so when the sounds finally start to crowd and clash, just before the final drop-out to just strings, which makes that move to the open and airy swells even better.

I've never been a huge fan of PIOB but it has grown on me in the last few years. It reminds me a lot of Overand and Rsdio, same delays or sounds maybe? Who knows. But the track doesn't click for me until about 1:45 in when that simple and quiet bass pulse bit starts in...then the slight descending pad line...fucking great stuff.

And agreed on the other mentions of Bronchuseven being such a masterpiece. It's still one of the most alien things they've done imo. I'm not one of those who gets all 'wow AE tracks give me crazy visuals!' but if a track of theirs was to inspire my other senses to be sparked and tingle, this is the track that I'd think would have the best bet. I used to space out so much in the dark with this whole EP but that track in particular, jesus. Otherworldly.

And of course what hasn't been said about Vletr. It's so strong and so aggressive in its message, so unbelievably subtle and nuanced and dripping with mood and emotion. Such a goddamned great EP. 

Archived