IGNORED

The Most Underrated / Overrated Music

Redruth

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Overrated: Beatles, Bob Dylan etc. etc.

Underrated: Pretty much all classical music post-Schoenberg because it's simply not known to or understood by the general public.

I'm not sure if I would call Aphex overrated, seeing as I quite like most of his discography, but I will say comparisons to classical composers & techno deity status have always seemed strange to me.

By the same token Tom Waits could be called underrated, but the main people underrating him just don't like his cookie monster voice, which is a silly reason. I mean, there are good arguments for not liking Tom Waits, I'm sure, but "dude don't know how to sing" isn't one of them.

Basically I think most of my favourite musicians are overrated by segments of their fanbase & underrated by people who don't really explore music

I dunno exactly how underrated they are or if they are, or even what it means (we all have different taste and most artists have a fanbase) but I'd say people like venetian snares, richard devine, hafler trio and otto von schirach because i've seen various comments about them and i think theyve released some truly brilliant stuff.

as far as overrated goes, once again i mean its just my taste, but i find tim hecker can be quite hyped but i personally dont connect with it that much. james blake, skrillex too. but you know, theres a lot of music that gets a big fanbase that i dont like, and a lot that i do, so its easier for me to talk about underrated rather than overrated, if that makes any sense

Overrated:

Pavement

Explosions In The Sky

The Fall

Bruce Springsteen

Stevie Ray Vaughn

NWA

Metallica

Micheal Jackson

Joanna Newson (the singing gets tiring imho)

Bob Dylan (just musically, not as an individual or artist)

I enjoy/respect all of them to a certain degree, but I can't understand the level of critical acclaim they've been bestowed.

Underrated:

Elite Gymnastics

2 Many Djs

Kid606

World's End Girlfriend

DMBQ (as a live act)

Bentley Rhythm Ace (within the Big Beat fad)

The Toadies (critics thought they aped the Pixies too much)

Mr. Oizo (compared to other French eletrohouse/techno producers)

Also, I can't stand the continued internal lobbying to keep Rush out of the Rock n' Roll hall of fame. The award is a joke already, but in principle the thought of it pisses me off.

I find it harder to list 'underrated' bands personally. I think finding fellow fans online so easily now dampers the "this needs to be heard!" feeling I used get more often.

Overrated?

Only one band springs to mind and that's The Beatles.

Underrated?

Black Sabbath. Probably influenced just as many bands/musicians as The Beatles but will never gain mass media acceptance. And thank God for that.

underrated: Caberat Voltaire, Zoviet France, Two Lone Swordsman, Tetsu Inoue, Hyu, Wobbly, OST, Nommo Ogo

overrated: just about everything in the new releases forum right now (or the top 20 best sellers at boomkat, depending on how you want to view the new releases forum aka if people are working for boomkat just reposting press releases astro turf style) , for starters: Africa Hitech, the Field, Burial, Radiohead, Vex'd (and his other bland aliases), Mortis Von Oswald (i like his label but his own output especially as of late is super over hyped)

most overrated label of the moment: Triangle, with the exception of the actually interesting band Waterboarders, this entire label runs on an emperor with no clothes wave of feedback loop hype that will surely collapse on itself within 6 months

underrated labels: Katabatik, Icasea

underrated: Cibo Matto, This Heat, Dhafer Youssef, George Clinton's solo albums post P-funk, Kraftwerk, Jim O'Rourke, anything Dave Holland has touched in the last 15 or so years, and I'll somewhat agree with jim saying that most composition post-Schoeberg is hideously misunderstood. HOWEVER, contemporary academic composition ala John Harbison is smelly diarrhea and worth absolutely nothing.

overrated: Bruce Springsteen, Keith Jarrett, and obviously Radiohead.

amazed people even think mention the beatles (or even Bob Dylan) when the rolling stones come sooooo easily to mind. I mean jesus fucking christ. Sometimes people on this board are so blind to music being conceptual, and how that adds value, which makes sense for electronic music as it is usually void of that.

If the Beatles should be remembered for anything it's that they (pretty much) single handedly brought the usually completely disparate worlds of classical experimental composition/music and mega-pop music together for a brief couple of years. For having the guts and creative insight to do that is impressive. That will never happen again.

amazed people even think mention the beatles... when the rolling stones come sooooo easily to mind.

I'd thought this about the Stones as well, but they've never really annoyed me. And I sometimes think people calling The Beatles overrated are just trying to be controversial for the sake of it (but you know, opinions etc.).

im not sure about it i guess the most oeverrated is the one which is not very good adn alot of ppl like it and underrated is which is very good but not alot like it.

Overrated:

Pavement

Explosions In The Sky

The Fall

Bruce Springsteen

Stevie Ray Vaughn

NWA

Metallica

Micheal Jackson

Joanna Newson (the singing gets tiring imho)

Bob Dylan (just musically, not as an individual or artist)

I enjoy/respect all of them to a certain degree, but I can't understand the level of critical acclaim they've been bestowed.

Underrated:

Elite Gymnastics

2 Many Djs

Kid606

World's End Girlfriend

DMBQ (as a live act)

Bentley Rhythm Ace (within the Big Beat fad)

The Toadies (critics thought they aped the Pixies too much)

Mr. Oizo (compared to other French eletrohouse/techno producers)

Also, I can't stand the continued internal lobbying to keep Rush out of the Rock n' Roll hall of fame. The award is a joke already, but in principle the thought of it pisses me off.

I find it harder to list 'underrated' bands personally. I think finding fellow fans online so easily now dampers the "this needs to be heard!" feeling I used get more often.

Bentley Rhythm Ace...agreed.

If the Beatles should be remembered for anything it's that they (pretty much) single handedly brought the usually completely disparate worlds of classical experimental composition/music and mega-pop music together for a brief couple of years. For having the guts and creative insight to do that is impressive. That will never happen again.

When did they do that? Putting Stockhausen on their album cover might have convinced some credulous people of their avant-garde chops, I suppose.

Just been listening to some Harbison. Never heard a note of his before now. Why the hate Lopez? It's not particularly great but not awful either, some nice orchestration here and there, no? Just seems like standard late 20th century fare to me.

amazed people even think mention the beatles............. I mean jesus fucking christ. Sometimes people on this board are so blind to music being conceptual, and how that adds value, which makes sense for electronic music as it is usually void of that.

Your worship of The Beatles and attitude towards people who dare not to like them is presicely the reason why I can't stomach them. I don't really like being told what I should and should not like, but Beatles fans just can't help themselves.......It's like if you hate them, and most of the people I know can't fucking stand them, we should still be thankful because no music nowadays as we know it wouldn't exist. LoL, seeing as most mainstream music is a cesspit of shit I don't think that's really a great badge of honour.

in my opinion

overrated:

bob dylan (I like the poetry and some songs are fantastic but for the most part it's not very musical)

tom waits (the fact of the matter is that I'm not a 'lyrics' guy. i listen to music for music and all the singer/songwriters i believe to be overrated have too much depending on their lyrics and storytelling and not enough on the music itself. still, Waits has some amazing tunes, just I don't have the patience to listen through all the lyrics)

neil young, bruce springsteen, simon and garfunkle, parliament, funkadelic, frank zappa

underrated:

disco inferno, seefeel, super furry animals

I know you weren't directing that at me beerwolf but...

Personally I don't give a shit whether anyone else likes The Beatles or not, it doesn't make me think any less of them or their own tastes. But to call them overrated just seems bloody-minded to me, whether or not you like their music their impact and influence on popular mainstream music (which maybe hasn't always been as shite it mostly is today) both during their own time and in the forty-plus years since is surely undeniable? And I'd never claim that they were always completely original and groundbreaking, as they themselves weren't without their influences, plus you can't underestimate the role George Martin played. But they did take a few chances with their releases from time to time, which for a band of their popularity has always impresed me.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this thread, and it's just about listing artists that you do and don't like.

amazed people even think mention the beatles............. I mean jesus fucking christ. Sometimes people on this board are so blind to music being conceptual, and how that adds value, which makes sense for electronic music as it is usually void of that.

Your worship of The Beatles and attitude towards people who dare not to like them is presicely the reason why I can't stomach them. I don't really like being told what I should and should not like, but Beatles fans just can't help themselves.......It's like if you hate them, and most of the people I know can't fucking stand them, we should still be thankful because no music nowadays as we know it wouldn't exist. LoL, seeing as most mainstream music is a cesspit of shit I don't think that's really a great badge of honour.

Do you not like melodies? The Beatles still shit all over 90% (maybe 100%) of anyone in pop music history in that regard. Opinions, blah blah howgooddotheyhavetobebeforeitsfuckingfact

Archived