IGNORED

The Most Underrated / Overrated Music

Redruth

I doubt many will agree with me on this one, but I think that The Mars Volta's De-Loused in the Comatorium is really incredible and one of the most underrated albums. When it was released, so many taste-making music publications shat on it, calling it "pretentious" and other assorted bullshit. I think the real reason this happened is that certain music review websites know that when a band gets a rave review, there will be immediately be a dozen copycats of that band. And no one wants to hear people trying to copy a fucking weird Latin-tinged prog rock band so they nipped that one in the bud. But for the record, it's a fucking masterpiece and one of the best rock albums in many years. It's okay to disagree and be wrong, I'll let it slide.

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

amazed people even think mention the beatles............. I mean jesus fucking christ. Sometimes people on this board are so blind to music being conceptual, and how that adds value, which makes sense for electronic music as it is usually void of that.

If the Beatles should be remembered for anything it's that they (pretty much) single handedly brought the usually completely disparate worlds of classical experimental composition/music and mega-pop music together for a brief couple of years. For having the guts and creative insight to do that is impressive. That will never happen again.

Your worship of The Beatles and attitude towards people who dare not to like them is presicely the reason why I can't stomach them. I don't really like being told what I should and should not like, but Beatles fans just can't help themselves.......It's like if you hate them, and most of the people I know can't fucking stand them, we should still be thankful because no music nowadays as we know it wouldn't exist. LoL, seeing as most mainstream music is a cesspit of shit I don't think that's really a great badge of honour.

Do you not like melodies? The Beatles still shit all over 90% (maybe 100%) of anyone in pop music history in that regard. Opinions, blah blah howgooddotheyhavetobebeforeitsfuckingfact

Burt Bacarach's melodies are much greater than anything the Beatles ever managed but he doesn't get anything like the same acclaim. The Beatles were fucking mediocre and John Lennon's Imagine is one of the worst songs ever written.

(but that's just, like, my opinion man)

Burt Bacharach's melodies better than The Beatles? Seriously? Perhaps you can point me to some Bacharach melodies that actually stray away from diatonic progressions or do something interesting, because I haven't heard it. And I'm not even a huge Beatles fan.... you kinda just blew my mind, though. plz to have evidence for such outlandish claims

I just did some reading on Mr. Bacharach and it appears that his music is characterized by "unusual chord progressions," among other things. Guess I'm just a Bacharach noob. Please don't feel obligated to show me interesting BB songs - I'm not a huge fan of his general work / geriatric love tunes. I'll take your word about his melodies, though I think your opinion remains quite stinky. :cisfor:

Burt Bacharach's melodies better than The Beatles? Seriously? Perhaps you can point me to some Bacharach melodies that actually stray away from diatonic progressions or do something interesting, because I haven't heard it. And I'm not even a huge Beatles fan.... you kinda just blew my mind, though. plz to have evidence for such outlandish claims

I just did some reading on Mr. Bacharach and it appears that his music is characterized by "unusual chord progressions," among other things. Guess I'm just a Bacharach noob. Please don't feel obligated to show me interesting BB songs - I'm not a huge fan of his general work / geriatric love tunes. I'll take your word about his melodies, though I think your opinion remains quite stinky. :cisfor:

i disagree luke vila

Guest Shit Attack

overrated:

rustie

hudson mohawke

M83

the who

the kinks

James blake

guided by voices

the horrors

pavement

washed out (+ all the other shit like that)

could go on and on and on

underrated:

silence

Please don't feel obligated to show me interesting BB songs - I'm not a huge fan of his general work / geriatric love tunes. I'll take your word about his melodies, though I think your opinion remains quite stinky. :cisfor:

Don't worry, I won't. I just took BB as my example because that's how many people see him despite his melodic and harmonic inventiveness; I'd call him underrated but I'm guessing his record sales will suggest otherwise. Regarding melodies that stray far from diatonic chord progressions, Mozart didn't write many of those either and he's often cited as the greatest melodist in history (erroneously, I personally believe, but he certainly could knock out a good tune). Anyway I'm not saying the Beatles were a shit band or anything like that, I just think they're incredibly overrated for reasons which I can never quite fathom- perhaps they just came along at exactly the right time to capitalise on a national/ international good mood combined with considerably less access to more obscure music than we have today. I can't stand Dylan but people are usually willing to concede that his popularity has more to do with his lyrics. Rarely have I encountered a Beatles fan who wasn't 100% convinced that they were right and that I was an idiot for even questioning their heroes... even though most of the people in question weren't even musicians, much less qualified ones. Anyway, just look at this fool trying to "compose". It's embarrassing, even with the ghostwriters he's supposed to have employed to create that turd of a piece.

Quite telling that the only interesting melodic contour is created accidentally and greeted with "NOoo! We won't have that!"

it would seem you're a jim's musical opinion noob however lol :cisfor:

Can't help it mate! :emb:

Guest Shit Attack

Please don't feel obligated to show me interesting BB songs - I'm not a huge fan of his general work / geriatric love tunes. I'll take your word about his melodies, though I think your opinion remains quite stinky. :cisfor:

Don't worry, I won't. I just took BB as my example because that's how many people see him despite his melodic and harmonic inventiveness; I'd call him underrated but I'm guessing his record sales will suggest otherwise. Regarding melodies that stray far from diatonic chord progressions, Mozart didn't write many of those either and he's often cited as the greatest melodist in history (erroneously, I personally believe, but he certainly could knock out a good tune). Anyway I'm not saying the Beatles were a shit band or anything like that, I just think they're incredibly overrated for reasons which I can never quite fathom- perhaps they just came along at exactly the right time to capitalise on a national/ international good mood combined with considerably less access to more obscure music than we have today. I can't stand Dylan but people are usually willing to concede that his popularity has more to do with his lyrics. Rarely have I encountered a Beatles fan who wasn't 100% convinced that they were right and that I was an idiot for even questioning their heroes... even though most of the people in question weren't even musicians, much less qualified ones. Anyway, just look at this fool trying to "compose". It's embarrassing, even with the ghostwriters he's supposed to have employed to create that turd of a piece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNauNWi6drQ

Quite telling that the only interesting melodic contour is created accidentally and greeted with "NOoo! We won't have that!"

it would seem you're a jim's musical opinion noob however lol :cisfor:

Can't help it mate! :emb:

pffft way to go posting the worst video you could find to back up your ideas, of a middle aged millionare who had long since lost the plot. may aswell have posted the ebony + ivory video. its like if i started saying aphex sucked and posted that ktpa1 (whatver its called) track and go "see I told you it just a load of noise".If youre looking for some complex musical ideas why would you bother listening to the beatles or dylan in the first place anyway? sounds like youre looking for it to be something its not like criticsing an apple for being an orange. all those guys did was put some of the more obscure ideas that were floating around in a pop format that more people could enjoy, it wasnt supposed to be some high minded exploration of technical musical excellence. by the way that " interesting melodic countour" did sound like shit but it was nice to see george from seinfeld on the cello afterwards

in my opinion

overrated:

bob dylan (I like the poetry and some songs are fantastic but for the most part it's not very musical)

tom waits (the fact of the matter is that I'm not a 'lyrics' guy. i listen to music for music and all the singer/songwriters i believe to be overrated have too much depending on their lyrics and storytelling and not enough on the music itself. still, Waits has some amazing tunes, just I don't have the patience to listen through all the lyrics)

neil young, bruce springsteen, simon and garfunkle, parliament, funkadelic, frank zappa

underrated:

disco inferno, seefeel, super furry animals

I don't think Zappa is at all overrated, I still feel like he gets overshadowed by his peers, but I can say some of this experimental stuff isn't exactly easy listening.

amazed people even think mention the beatles... when the rolling stones come sooooo easily to mind.

I'd thought this about the Stones as well, but they've never really annoyed me. And I sometimes think people calling The Beatles overrated are just trying to be controversial for the sake of it (but you know, opinions etc.).

this

underrated: Cibo Matto

srsly underrated

underrated: Caberat Voltaire, Zoviet France, Two Lone Swordsman, Tetsu Inoue, Hyu, Wobbly, OST, Nommo Ogo

overrated: just about everything in the new releases forum right now (or the top 20 best sellers at boomkat, depending on how you want to view the new releases forum aka if people are working for boomkat just reposting press releases astro turf style) , for starters: Africa Hitech, the Field, Burial, Radiohead, Vex'd (and his other bland aliases), Mortis Von Oswald (i like his label but his own output especially as of late is super over hyped)

most overrated label of the moment: Triangle, with the exception of the actually interesting band Waterboarders, this entire label runs on an emperor with no clothes wave of feedback loop hype that will surely collapse on itself within 6 months

underrated labels: Katabatik, Icasea

As much as I enjoy everyone on the "overrated" list, you make a good point by listing them. I myself have become burned out on much of the LA Beat scene/Brainfeeder's output.

Wobbly reminds me of how underrated most "plunderphonics" producers are: John Oswald, People Like Us, Cassetteboy, etc.

pffft way to go posting the worst video you could find to back up your ideas, of a middle aged millionare who had long since lost the plot. may aswell have posted the ebony + ivory video. its like if i started saying aphex sucked and posted that ktpa1 (whatver its called) track and go "see I told you it just a load of noise".If youre looking for some complex musical ideas why would you bother listening to the beatles or dylan in the first place anyway? sounds like youre looking for it to be something its not like criticsing an apple for being an orange. all those guys did was put some of the more obscure ideas that were floating around in a pop format that more people could enjoy, it wasnt supposed to be some high minded exploration of technical musical excellence. by the way that " interesting melodic countour" did sound like shit but it was nice to see george from seinfeld on the cello afterwards

I don't listen to the Beatles or Dylan. It's other people who claim they're something that they're not, which is exactly what I take issue with, and which was the point of all my kvetching in this thread. I don't take issue with the fact that they put "some of the more obscure ideas that were floating around in a pop format that more people could enjoy"... but that's where it ends. Maybe you don't listen to any post-tonal music and therefore can't imagine how that "interesting melodic contour" could be used very effectively in the hands of a capable composer. Not my fault.

I don't mind Revolver and Magical Mystery Tour. But I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep if I never heard them again. Sgt Pepper is diabloical, floncey, poncey and twee. Definately the worst record I have ever heard.

I don't mind Revolver and Magical Mystery Tour. But I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep if I never heard them again. Sgt Pepper is diabloical, floncey, poncey and twee. Definately the worst record I have ever heard.

Sgt Pepper is important historically, but fuck me, they have one of their best songs ever recorded, A Day In The Life, on the same LP as "Lovely Rita."

I would be lying if I said I didn't like a Day in the Life. But that's it for me though, and the last track can't redeem all the mediocrity before it.

But who care's what I think anyway!! the world will surely remember Sgt Pepper more than the rantings of Beerwolf!!

Happy Days

oh yeah, The Strokes were overrated...are they still now?

Forgot about those guys. Never got the hype. One member (who can actually sing) recorded a solo album but I never got into it.

I would be lying if I said I didn't like a Day in the Life. But that's it for me though, and the last track can't redeem all the mediocrity before it.

But who care's what I think anyway!! the world will surely remember Sgt Pepper more than the rantings of Beerwolf!!

Happy Days

v1.jpg

I totally meant to add to your statement, I get what you were saying. I've always found Sgt Pepper overrated, even as a Beatles fan.

im looking forward to more watmm members listing overrated acts in the Pitchforky style scene

Well, I'm beginning to think Odd Future is just some Kool Kieth-aping tumblr joke that white hipsters listen to instead of ICP

Archived