IGNORED

Dave Monolith - Welcome

Redruth

Yeah, why this particular deprecated medium? Why not that other deprecated medium?

Its hardly pining for a wax cylinder release is it? The record shops here in London are always well busy, they could easily sell out a 300 run of it

Maybe not a wax cylinder, but a Blue Amberol Cylinder would be ace.

Yeah, why this particular deprecated medium? Why not that other deprecated medium?

Its hardly pining for a wax cylinder release is it? The record shops here in London are always well busy, they could easily sell out a 300 run of it

true that.

• 2 weeks later...

why the fuck has this been put back 2 weeks. i hope this isnt another Zwischenwelt disaster, my 12" is still on pre-order 8 months later

"Rephlex has been releasing music into the world now for 20 years. By this time, many of our ambitions have been achieved

but we continue this practice out of a deep and special enthusiasm for new talent and new music. As a result of what we’ve

learned and experienced, we are more selective and critical than ever; this is probably as bad as it is good but it’s a fact.

Another fact is that, to our ears, this album rates as highly as any debut album for years.

Since the launch of our exclusive, independent online music store 18 months ago, Monolith has been the most discussed, downloaded

artist of the whole roster and yet he is totally new on the scene and relatively unknown. Judging from the reactions from our constant

touring, we think it’s about time that quality instrumental electronic music has a loud shout in the public domain and this is the

perfect candidate; Monolithic in name and nature.

Monolith aka David Paul Barnard lives in the Wiltshire countryside:

My musical interest developed at an early age. These interests later progressed to DJ’ing with cassette decks and over dubbing sounds

which was my first attempt at music production. This record is essentially a compilation album. I only make individual tracks in different

styles so ultimately the record had to be compiled into a coherent selection of music. I think this has been done successfully by Rephlex.

I make the music I want to hear. I enjoy it more than any other music, this drives me to make more. It’s not down to arrogance becauseI

really don't expect anyone else to like it. I get a wicked feeling when I make music. I make music with loads of different things. If I didn't

have one thing to make music I could probably make music just as good with something else. For me making a good track comes from

the person. The common debate in recent years with Analogue vs Digital, Hardware vs Software, is so cheesy to talk about/hear about/read

about, I think talking about the process is much more relevant, but that is my personal preference. What does the future hold? I have no idea

but I would love to be involved. So much has been done, and I think all we can do is make a music that captures the imagination.

My ambition is to make my next best track, to keep doing what I want to do, to travel to different places, and to be able to draw

a crowd every now and then. I hope I can inspire people as I have been inspired by others myself, to bring other individuals as much

enjoyment as my music brings me. The strongest elements of my tracks often have a disjointed pop sensibility, this is something

I aim for.’ "

Notable Influences for this album:

Aphex Twin, Aleksi Perälä , Bruce Haack, David Vorhaus, Delia Derbyshire, Dopplereffekt, Drexciya, Enya, Jean Michel Jarre, Luke Vibert, The other people place, The Tuss, Warp 9.

http://www.normanrec...onolith-welcome

eff youuu! for a mere 2 hours you had my hopes up. Not that I havent already bought the 12" pre-order, but I just want to hear some damn music out of the tiny niche of people I still find to be attractive to my ears.

@ Rephlex: WTF guys.

the shit pic that troon posted is not true to the artwork at all, check this:

bbcwelcometape.jpg

http://retro-computi...software&id=258

Holy shit, that picture is the BBC Micro Welcome Tape from about 1983.

(not a cassette release of this album as some people assumed - look at the owl logo in the top-right corner)

post-96-0-76903300-1321719181_thumb.jpg

So, if you grew up in the UK in the 80s, the 8-bit Acorn BBC Model B was one of the computers that was around. Was pretty good for its time and was used a lot in schools because it was linked to the BBC and there was a tie-in tv series and so on.

In those days floppy disk drives were really expensive (and hard disks were way out) so home computers loaded software from cassette tape. I had one of these when I was 8 and you had to hook up an audio connection to a tape recorder and then set the volume level just right so that the computer could parse the sound. It was the same sort of screetchy binary sound later associated with modems.

That tape came with the computer and had some (really) simple demos and games.

A geeky aside: Years later the BBC Model B was eventually succeeded by the 32-bit Acorn Archimedes which didn't do too well, but for that computer Acorn developed a whole new RISC chip design called the ARM. Its energy use was so efficient that its design-descendants are now used in pretty much all phones/smartphones.

So Dave Monoliths cover is based on this (he uses a very recognisable Acorn font for the top bit, and the Rephlex logo is placed exactly where the owl logo was). Which means he probably grew up with one of these back in the 80s.

This has got me nostalgic. Here's a video of some of the stuff that was on the Welcome Tape:

[youtubehd]WFLiOSIHDfY[/youtubehd]

Here's some of the BBC tie-in show from 1983:

[youtubehd]UM3tM4RIxFo[/youtubehd]