IGNORED

EP7

Redruth

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So much good stuff on here. It feels sort of unintentionally emotional, though. Like after the intensity of LP5 they just wanted to find a vehicle for some miscellaneous ideas that didn't fit there. But there ended up being quite a bit of emotional resonance anyway - the resigned melancholy of "Dropp" and delicate fury of "Netlon Sentinel" have aged really well.

Guest nowyouknow

it's the first album which has been a bit more difficult to get into it. great great album, even if not as good as the previous & the next one. Pir is my favorite.

i dont really see the link between LP5 & EP7, for me it's an other step further, an other great album.

EP7 is my least listened to Autechre. I like the first track but never go much further than that. I know, I need to change that. And I will, soon.

For most emotional AE... I would say Amber or Tri Repetae. It's not a standard emotion, more a serious alienation. A feeling of being alone, very far from home. Out of the comfort zone.

I would tend to agree that Oversteps is their most overtly emotional work. It has a warmth and kindness to it at times.

fuckin' maphive6.1! The height of ae-prog.

maphive6.1 is probably the most different AE track I've ever heard. It doesn't really sound like them, but neither good nor bad since it's an awesome track. EP7 is one of my favorite releases of theirs.

Maybe my favourite Ae release

agreed

it's 'ae' enough to have 'autechre' written on the cover but I've always tasted a fair bit of gescom (hip hop?) flavor in there, too.

ae's throbbing pouch, maybe.

I love EP7 but I don't listen to it enough. It's sort of done a disservice by being wedged between LP5 and Confield and seeming like a transition point between the two (and maybe, also, for not being fussed over enough to get a cohesive LP rating from the 'chre). Some of the production I find to be a bit sterile or cold; in contrast, I think Confield is a lot more emotional-- but it's an alien, ambiguous kind of emotion. And before EP7, you had your Rae wrenching at your heartstrings.

I can see where the opposite reading would come from, though, especially when focusing on Dropp and Pir and Maphive.

dropp, pir and rpeg really did it for me. other than that, this album is good. it's the beginning of their style that culminated with untilted IMO

i also find it less "emotional" than lp5 and confield, but more funky and playful, which is why i love it. it's a unique release for the sheer variety of styles it goes through. i think it bears a similarity to move of ten in that respect - both eps show off a huge range of ideas only loosely related to the album material of their times.

rpeg completely blew me away when i first heard it.

Guest Xenblake

09 autechre - zeiss contarex

Such a sneaky track. The way the track starts off by homing in on itself through channel hopping. Languid scratching and sensual middle eastern melodies ensue. Definetely my fav on the EP7.

the 'chre, in their infinite compassion, gave us pir instead.

Listening to the last half of EP7 right now; this whole sequence of tracks (EP 7.2) is seriously underapprciated. EP7.1 is really good, but doesn't do half as much for me.

Archived