IGNORED

Tri Repetae

vamos scorcho

Guest jasondonervan

Secondhand. But as always, preowned in Japan means 'shop new'. The only issue with it is a crack in the (generic) CD case. Disc is mint, no signs of scratches or rot. I daresay it's been stashed away in a private collection, untouched for years.

So almost newhand then. I wonder what all that text on the poster says, anyone know? Potted history of Ae up to that point possibly?

Guest jasondonervan

So almost newhand then. I wonder what all that text on the poster says, anyone know? Potted history of Ae up to that point possibly?

I could have it translated, could take a little while... or perhaps peace 7 might be able to assist?

• 1 year later...

While the next Autechre album Chiastic Slide continued to experiment with this appealing formula, Booth and Brown eventually found more value in noise than melody. 2001’s Confield, for example, treats tunefulness and harmony like bitter foes, its loveliest sounds tortured and timestretched into digital groans. Genre ceased to matter, as the duo forged ahead into the quantitative and quantum possibilities of software-based programming.

What Autechre left behind with Tri Repetae was humanity

Oh ffs

Some people (read: mr suarez) are not qualified to give their opinion on matters like these.

that article is a perfect example of why I hate music journalism. eugh.

Commenters expressed dismay at the irrelevant mentions of Whigfield and Rednex in the article, and the apparent suggestion that Tri Repetae is some kind of conscious reaction against the lowest common denomonator post-rave chart hits of the time. From his reaction on Twitter, Suarez seems to have taken that as a blinkered fanboy denial that Booth and Brown were aware of contemporary popular culture, and has conflated it with the notion that artists are capable of enjoying music unlike their own. No need to point out the fallacies there. I'd have some respect for his take if it amounted to a coherent point of view.

I'm not a fan of his ultra-cynical persona but I tend to take his word for it when he writes about hiphop. But that piece typifies a fatal lack of context and perspective that I think is common in US writing on UK / European electronic / dance culture. I'm anything but an expert but it always jumps out at me - and if I see the term IDM, alarm bells go off.

I've read lots of comments on this board that I might not agree with but ring true as someone's perspective and genuine opinion, and that piece didn't have any of that - just put me in a bad mood :sad:

• 2 months later...

hadn't heard eutow in ages just realized it's synthesized tape noise n dragging and subjective, but end sounds like falling asleep to radio or tv.

guessing they probably had to use tape to record it anyway which just adds to it lol.

got me thinking it's interesting/sad now with digital media kids don't get exposed to artifacts that are additive in the same way.

got me thinking it's interesting/sad now with digital media kids don't get exposed to artifacts that are additive in the same way.

true, but with devices like the op-1 which simulate tape pretty well (imo) this effect is easily replicated.. that said it's still very digital and doesn't introduce warbling and dropouts (though these can be simulated also if you know how to use it).

• 4 weeks later...

Clipper! (and then the 1996 live at flex-version, so amazing!!!)

Overand!

Rsdio!

Listen to the last 1/3 or so of the Flex set. It'll give you a new perspective on Eutow.

Thanks for the Flex set reminder, not listened to it for 2 and a half years (according to iToons), fantastic mutating and evolving sounds.

• 3 years later...
On 11/9/2011 at 12:10 PM, sweepstakes said:

Tasting notes: Helvetica Neue, Bavaria, dry perfectly white overcast weather, pawn shops, sunny winter weather, all caps Eurostile Bold Extended, full-page color mid-80s airline ads, 1/2 inch reel to reel tape, German-manufactured steel machine parts, NASA photography, mountain roads, study hall, Amiga, chain link fence, empty race tracks, new sneakers, 90s anime, new plastic smell, built-in chorus, European-made mixers, well-maintained public transportation.

• Like 1
  • Farnsworth 1