IGNORED

Comic Books / Graphic Novels thread

Rubin Farr

Most certainly! I had this discussion in CHATMM: the fullness and richness of the comic can not be conveyed to the big screen.

I just finished the chapter where the Bishop has been finished off, and the Inspector puzzled together the murder from the tape recordings. My oh my. There's so much beautiful symbolism in it: the part where The Bishop reads some of the sacrament to Evey, while V dashes through the night, and guards, is just awesome. There are so many layers to the story. I am super excited about it! Having said that, the movie was good in its own right, but it's not the same as the comic.

A comic you can pause reading to think about something or to just peer into the artwork. Similarly at the other end of that spectrum you can skim by quickly reading your way through the pointless noise bits.

Just finished issue #5 of Pretty Deadly. It's no Sandman, but it's still well written and the art is very interesting.

PD5.jpg

I like how when i go looking for Pretty Deadly on the image comics site and amazon looking for a few pages to see what i would possibly be interested in buying. They have nothing, i mean in the store you can open a comic up and have a flip, they don't have to be high res and just a few intro pages, oh but we might steal their magical voodoo or something. Well fk you image, google image search came up with a lot but it's not in order and i don't want to free download the comic was just curious and thought that i'd check it out through the vendor.

nwae, primitive web design by paranoids is the oldschool publishing industry all over.

Guest Little Lord Faulteroy

Currently reading Black Hole by Charles Burns. I had it for years. But for some mystical reason, i've never read it. Until now!

I've read El Borbah and X'ed Out, and enjoyed it (I even have a signed copy of Johnny 23 :w00t: (thanks to my mom) ). I'm about 2/3 into the book.

I'm really impressed by this imho real tour de force, and most of the pages are straight eyecandy.

I recently read 100 bullets a few months ago and absolutely loved it.

I've read some of Criminal by Brubaker and it's even better.

I'm just about to finish the last volume of Sin City which I also love.

Can you guys give any recommendations for more crime type comics/graphic novels? I can't seem to get into superhero/fantasy type stuff. Thanks

Can you guys give any recommendations for more crime type comics/graphic novels? I can't seem to get into superhero/fantasy type stuff. Thanks

Other than the ones you mentioned, my favorite crime comics are Stray Bullets (the first 4 issues are free on Comixology and the Image website, I think) and the Parker graphic novels by Darwin Cooke. From Hell qualifies as a crime graphic novel too, I guess.

Guest bitroast

Currently reading Black Hole by Charles Burns. I had it for years. But for some mystical reason, i've never read it. Until now!

I've read El Borbah and X'ed Out, and enjoyed it (I even have a signed copy of Johnny 23 :w00t: (thanks to my mom) ). I'm about 2/3 into the book.

I'm really impressed by this imho real tour de force, and most of the pages are straight eyecandy.

Holy shit dude! Black Hole is great. Incredible atmosphere and visuals in those pages^^

Currently reading Habibi, more/less based on this thread. Will wait till finished before giving full opinion... But atm this is seeming like a mixed bag (sort of like cerebus??). Like, the art and story and story telling and everything is all really great, but I'm finding it's over excessive display of rape and nudity a bit .. unneccesary/juvenile or something ?

Just um,, you know, comparing it to crumbs book of genesis. It's possible to display sex/rape in graphic novel and hit the point of it across to the reader without constantly showing it in full detail?

I dunno. I'm enjoying it. But I'm finding some of it questionable in how it's displayed. I'll keep reading and see where my stance is by end !!

Guest bitroast

Other than the ones you mentioned, my favorite crime comics are Stray Bullets (the first 4 issues are free on Comixology and the Image website, I think) and the Parker graphic novels by Darwin Cooke. From Hell qualifies as a crime graphic novel too, I guess.

Yeah I was going to mention From Hell too. It's as much a crime graphic novel as sin city is, at least. And it's fucking fantastic too and worth reading :)

• 2 weeks later...

DC's Future's End is pretty cool so far, kind of their ver of Days of Future Past. The end of the world has come, and Batman Beyond has to travel back in time to undo it.

DC's Future's End is pretty cool so far, kind of their ver of Days of Future Past. The end of the world has come, and Batman Beyond has to travel back in time to undo it.

Is this a line wide thing, or just a miniseries? The only New 52 books I'm reading right now are Swamp Thing and Wonder Woman, but Future's End sounds like a cool concept.

so Comixology is dead, replaced by the Comics app now on ios, or you can keep the lame read only ver until they decide to stop suporting it. Either way back up your purchases now.

It's not really dead, you just can't do in app purchases. You have to go to their website, buy, and then download them to the app which is really just a reader now. I logged into my account on their site and all my purchases were still there and ready to download.

I bought Watchmen from them and rereading that now (I lent the graphic novel to my friend and I was impatient to get it back). Unbelievably great. I'll probably jump on V for Vendetta right after.

I had a look at pretty deadly, glad i didn't grab it, the art work is dud, quickly drawn in painter sketchbook or something, it looks ok from a distance but doesn't stand closer inspection. And as for the rest of it they have just enough T&A, violence and genre sass per issue to keep the late teen audience sucking on their festy pointless teet. Not fer me.

I had a look at pretty deadly, glad i didn't grab it, the art work is dud, quickly drawn in painter sketchbook or something, it looks ok from a distance but doesn't stand closer inspection. And as for the rest of it they have just enough T&A, violence and genre sass per issue to keep the late teen audience sucking on their festy pointless teet. Not fer me.

30 pages of tumblr vomit.

Is this a line wide thing, or just a miniseries? The only New 52 books I'm reading right now are Swamp Thing and Wonder Woman, but Future's End sounds like a cool concept.

i've seen tie-in issues marked with "Future's End" but yeah I'm really out of the whole New 52 thing, so your guess is as good as mine. Sandman is bout the only Dc left i read.

Edited by Rubin Farr

I quite liked the artwork. It has that 80s hand drawn/inked style that has all but disappeared. Everything looks super sleek and digital these days, and I like the return to a more pulpy kind of look.

Almost all of the pages with Death look cool, too.

I am still following Swamp Thing, Justice League Dark and Animal Man but only in the TP versions. I read that they have ended Animal Man already and lumped him into a new Justice League monthly which sucks as I probably won't start reading that.

I quite liked the artwork. It has that 80s hand drawn/inked style that has all but disappeared. Everything looks super sleek and digital these days, and I like the return to a more pulpy kind of look.

Almost all of the pages with Death look cool, too.

I like some of the composition quite a bit which is why i checked it out, i just don't like the execution, if you know what i mean. It didn't look hand drawn, it looked very obviously and roughly digitally sketched by a less than accomplished draughtsman which was my main problem with the artwork. nwae, i hope i didn't offend, i'm just an opinionated old moaninator.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Little Lord Faulteroy

One of the best Comic Books i've read last year was The Making Of by Brecht Evens.

C39Wa5b.jpg

fHVAR0U.jpg

bb215EG.jpg