IGNORED

Bitwig

Guest RadarJammer

Guest fiznuthian

That series by Brian Bollman is the most incredible thing i've ever seen. I spent days on end watching through all of it, and learned a lot I didn't know. Cool of the guy to give it away for free!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest fiznuthian

Also, I never saw this before but I noticed they have a peek into the modular back-end scheduled to release when 2.0 drops.

MZocnvj.jpg

Every instrument and effect/container device currently in bitwig was created using this apparently. I like where this is going. :w00t:

Guest fiznuthian

Just purchased my version. This will be the first time this has happened for me ever.

Did you try it first? What do you think?

For some people it there it's still missing a few critical features. I've seen feature request for comping, track delay, sysex support, and other odds and ends. The developers are definitely paying super close attention to the complaints though. The grouping within groups coming in the 1.2 update this month was actually suggested by someone on the forums. Nice to know they're listening and making people's great ideas come true.

Ultimately the next big version release is when things will get very interesting. They're moving towards both unleashing the back end modular system while implementing multiuser network sync (like ohm studio). Basically turning bitwig into a live/logic and maxmsp hybrid where multiple people can collaborate real-time over network. If they pull this off I'm literally going to cum in my pants.

Guest fiznuthian

Temptation...Severe temptation...Anyone using it live ?

I might be in before the end of the week...

Try the demo! https://www.bitwig.com/en/bitwig-studio/download.html

I don't use it live but reading around people seem to be heading that direction. Ableton Live has a bit more features still that would maybe make it ideal for some people.

In the bitwig camp there's a bunch of people using the javascript API to write custom controller scripts, most of them intended for live use. This is quite powerful and getting better as time goes on.:wub: If you're willing to learn a little bit of basic javascript or know how to code at all the API is pretty straightforward and simple.

i just gave myself a hearty lol when I realized that you can make an LFO or envelope modulate the on/off of another device. Or it can activate/deactivate mono, single trigger, and legato modes. wtf crazy

Just purchased my version. This will be the first time this has happened for me ever.

For some people it there it's still missing a few critical features. I've seen feature request for comping, track delay, sysex support, and other odds and ends. The developers are definitely paying super close attention to the complaints though. The grouping within groups coming in the 1.2 update this month was actually suggested by someone on the forums. Nice to know they're listening and making people's great ideas come true.

Ultimately the next big version release is when things will get very interesting. They're moving towards both unleashing the back end modular system while implementing multiuser network sync (like ohm studio). Basically turning bitwig into a live/logic and maxmsp hybrid where multiple people can collaborate real-time over network. If they pull this off I'm literally going to cum in my pants.

I pirated it and used it for a while. Was pretty self explanatory for what I use DAW's for and being a Live user, it was pretty easy to transition. Reaper made my head implode, renoise is just starting to make sense and I don't own a mac so Logic is out of the question.

I don't use half the features and it works well for me, sorry I'm a bit of a bore on the software side, it just serves as a medium for me to record and arrange my synth's, instruments, samples and edit things. I prefer to just mess with hardware, like a dick.

Guest fiznuthian

I pirated it and used it for a while. Was pretty self explanatory for what I use DAW's for and being a Live user, it was pretty easy to transition. Reaper made my head implode, renoise is just starting to make sense and I don't own a mac so Logic is out of the question.

I don't use half the features and it works well for me, sorry I'm a bit of a bore on the software side, it just serves as a medium for me to record and arrange my synth's, instruments, samples and edit things. I prefer to just mess with hardware, like a dick.

No that's actually interesting. I'm too po to invest much in hardware besides a midi controller or something.

You're sequencing hardware in Bitwig? Are you using the hardware instrument and hardware fx devices? And how's the midi clock sync working out?

I assume that since you paid for Bitwig after trying it things worked out well. :)

I don't know if you've heard of Silent Way but I had a feeling like that plugin suite would be really cool to run in bitwig. I envision being able to make clever uses of the modulation system for sending crazy CV signals to analog synths and stuff.

edit: Just installed silentway real quick to try it out.. looks like it works perfectly. fucking WOW this could get crazy using the modulator devices and containers. maybe I should buy a synth now.. hmm

I don't know if you've heard of Silent Way but I had a feeling like that plugin suite would be really cool to run in bitwig. I envision being able to make clever uses of the modulation system for sending crazy CV signals to analog synths and stuff.

edit: Just installed silentway real quick to try it out.. looks like it works perfectly. fucking WOW this could get crazy using the modulator devices and containers. maybe I should buy a synth now.. hmm

i just gave myself a hearty lol when I realized that you can make an LFO or envelope modulate the on/off of another device. Or it can activate/deactivate mono, single trigger, and legato modes. wtf crazy

You made my day Sir !

Also, I never saw this before but I noticed they have a peek into the modular back-end scheduled to release when 2.0 drops.

MZocnvj.jpg

Every instrument and effect/container device currently in bitwig was created using this apparently. I like where this is going. :w00t:

this looks really interesting

could someone tell me exactly whats better compared to ableton. they are modular with max for live too

Guest fiznuthian

MZocnvj.jpg

this looks really interesting

could someone tell me exactly whats better compared to ableton. they are modular with max for live too

The modular system won't be unlocked until 2.0 is released next year. I'm patiently waiting now.

No-one knows enough yet to really say how much it differs. Bitwig's modular back end is at the core of the daw, even now despite not being able to use it. I can only assume it's very flexible because every device bitwig has was created with it.. and the devices and instruments are great.

The bitwig devs also have full control over every aspect of the daw because they dont use licensed code from other companies. Bitwig even in it's current state still has a very meta-modular feel. Just try it and mess with the container and signal routing devices and you'll see what I mean.

Guest fiznuthian

The bitwig devs also have full control over every aspect of the daw because they dont use licensed code from other companies.

ableton does not?
no they have a, lot of licensed software. A couple of their synths were created by AAS, the glue compressor is by Cytomic, and max of course is made by cycling 74. There's others too I think.

Anyway not to turn this into a daw war, I still think ableton is amazing. Development is stagnating and they have big problems implementing big changes now (plugin delay compensation and layered editing for instance). This is why I made the switch.

So, did Bitwig got the PDC right ? And how is the CPU usage compared to Live 9 ?

I'm very, very interested in Bitwig, but I can't/won't switch until they implement Rewire (to sync Numerology) and AU support.

The bitwig devs also have full control over every aspect of the daw because they dont use licensed code from other companies.

ableton does not?

no they have a, lot of licensed software. A couple of their synths were created by AAS, the glue compressor is by Cytomic, and max of course is made by cycling 74. There's others too I think.

Anyway not to turn this into a daw war, I still think ableton is amazing. Development is stagnating and they have big problems implementing big changes now (plugin delay compensation and layered editing for instance). This is why I made the switch.

Ah cool that really explains the whole delay and thus the success of bitwig.

I am not into some kind of DAW-war too as I am using what ever suits my needs best. Every DAW has different pros and cons depending on project requirements and genre

Guest fiznuthian

So, did Bitwig got the PDC right ? And how is the CPU usage compared to Live 9 ?

I'm very, very interested in Bitwig, but I can't/won't switch until they implement Rewire (to sync Numerology) and AU support.

Yeah the pdc is perfect.

As far as I can tell most people are happy with performance. The updates are releasing very fast and they're optimizing rapidly.

Rewire and au are possible in the future but the devs aren't in a hurry.

Anyway not to turn this into a daw war, I still think ableton is amazing. Development is stagnating and they have big problems implementing big changes now (plugin delay compensation.... for instance).

Ugh tell me about it, check this out:

I've invested far too much monies in Ableton though to make the switch so I'm hoping they get off their asses soon and sort it out.

Guest fiznuthian

Yeah mesh that's AAS.

I saw that vid pete. Honestly it never seemed to bother me using ableton but a lot of people want it fixed.

Honestly me neither - curious to know if the issue arises during rendering, or it it's just a realtime issue. For the last 15 years I've always been getting clicks and delays and all that when composing with whacking in far too much for my 'puter to handle, so I'm kinda used to 'guessing' what my track will sound like when it finally gets bounced down :lol:

Yeah I need to adjust my workflow to freeze/bounce down my tracks - Always keep everything intact as I have a bit of an obsessive compulsion to micro-tweak every parameter every time I relisten to the track.

RE:15 years thing - haha no it's a different machine, just every time I get a new 'puter I find something to push the CPU close to 100%. Back in my tracking days it was with making mods with >32 channels, then in Buzz it was with using convolution reverbs and new fangled VSTs, nowadays it's that and physical modelling, virtual analogue stuff (eg Diva, Bazille) and multi Gb sample libraries !

Yeah I need to adjust my workflow to freeze/bounce down my tracks - Always keep everything intact as I have a bit of an obsessive compulsion to micro-tweak every parameter every time I relisten to the track.

I know that feel, but it's indeed a very good thing habit to have to bounce tracks. Especially if you have lots of plugins on them, you can freeze a track with a few plugins, then freeze it again with more plugins. It solved most of my latency problems.

If you want to come back to some parameters in the very first plugins you applied though, you can always duplicate that track first before bouncing it (and freeze it so it doesn't crush your cpu ofc).

Guest fiznuthian

I know that feel, but it's indeed a very good thing habit to have to bounce tracks. Especially if you have lots of plugins on them, you can freeze a track with a few plugins, then freeze it again with more plugins. It solved most of my latency problems.

If you want to come back to some parameters in the very first plugins you applied though, you can always duplicate that track first before bouncing it (and freeze it so it doesn't crush your cpu ofc).

Really good idea! I'm the same way, never can stop editing everything. Bouncing is scary. Prefer to invest in more CPU and RAM. :)

Guest fiznuthian

it changed my music for the better, but it's not necessary to make the best music either. just something i'd highly recommend. i save different versions of my sessions and freeze + flatten things i am happy with knowing i can easily go back and change the sound should the mix require it.

also just plain ol making your own sample packs, allows you to be free with all sorts of cool and weird processing. jam a quasi random sequence into a synth and spaz out the params with max or something similar. should be really easy to chop if you jam at a set tempo and leave a bit of space between sounds.

both these approaches to sampling and resampling sped up my process for the better and i'm happier with the work i'm doing now. here's another way to look at it: you're maxing out your cpu so no doubt you're doing some cool idm dsp, let's call this 100% idm. how do you go beyond that? tastefully add in some samples that were processed at 20%...that's 120% idm!

oh yeah, not to mention if your plugins or entire computer fuck up you can still save your stems if your hdd is recoverable!

obviously you've probably been at this for 3x longer than i have, this is merely food for thought

Good ideas. :) I wouldn't say i've been at it longer.. still a total newb. 120% IDM BABY

How's the midi? Good tools?

Fine! Fast and simple currently. People coming from other DAWs like FL Studio and Live have been requesting a few features a lot so some tweaks and additions will likely be coming soon enough. It has tools mapped to keys 1 through 5: selection rectangle, time selector, pen tool, eraser scrubber, and a knife tool to slice midi notes or audio.

Here it is, also showing off the layered editing (two tracks at once):

AtYfTj3.gif

Regarding routing, things became very interesting with the addition of "receivers". There's a Note Receiver and an Audio Receiver device which you can add any number of inside the device chains on any track. This allows you to be very specific about where you send midi data. You can still route midi and audio both using the mixer like any other DAW too. Here's an example of the receivers:

Zge8ttu.gif

You can place them anywhere in the device chain. If you created a layered instrument on a track and wanted to have two note receivers send different MIDI data to each layer you can.

Archived