IGNORED

Bitwig

Guest RadarJammer

It's disappointing to see Peter speaking somewhat disparagingly of this software when he's humped the leg of a lot of mediocre shit (lame apps, overpriced hipster hardware projects, really bad-sounding but conceptually compelling music) over the last few years. He rubs me the wrong way about 80% of the time and then will occasionally write a really good article, like that "Tinkerer's Sunset" one from 2010, that reins me back in.

Agreed. The last year or two he's just been really obsessed with stuff that I'm like, "Well that's cool I guess."

Bitwig looks badass though. I signed up to get invited to the beta.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest cult fiction

I signed up for the newsletter to get the beta as well, but it's hard to say where that's going. Shouldn't they at least ask what sort of computer you have at least so they get good coverage?

Guest RadarJammer

This looks awesome but I really wish someone would make a DAW that was like a hybrid of Reaper and Buzz.. That would be amazing.

Every DAW should have a modular plugin patching view/mode. Any other way of routing signal chains is like a backwards workaround.

ya if this is as good as the preview looks then I'm completely sold. Been using Logic for a long while now, but I still don't love it, or even feel all that at home in it.

It looks like they stole some user feedback from Ableton and made a feature list out of it hahaha. It looks great aesthetically and conceptually.

interestingly enough it's also a German company haha. I'd bet money that there are some former Ableton people involved.

Bitwig was co-founded by Claes Johanson, who created Surge/Shortcircuit and was a dsp programmer for Ableton, so based on that I think its worth keeping tabs on.

interestingly enough it's also a German company haha. I'd bet money that there are some former Ableton people involved.

Bitwig was co-founded by Claes Johanson, who created Surge/Shortcircuit and was a dsp programmer for Ableton, so based on that I think its worth keeping tabs on.

Have you ever actually posted words that you formed yourself?

i wonder what the full story is behind this. i mean, when someone leaves a company to start a new one, it's usually to do something different. but in this case, some programmers of ableton live left to make a product... that is a clone of ableton live. :huh:

bitwig looks interesting and i wish it success because in the world of daws, the more the merrier. but i wouldn't be suprised if ableton have their lawyers on speed dial right about now.

Have you ever actually posted words that you formed yourself?

Yeah of course I have. Have you ever actually read the first post in a thread? It was clear that you hadn't, so I was showing you the point you'd missed.

I was insiuating that someone from higher in the company was involoved. Yes Johanson is programmer, but he is a DSP expert, not a user interface developer.

And please forgive me for not memorizing a month old thread before posting.

There is a 30 page thread in forum.ableton.com questioning whether Ableton should sue Bitwig, and also whether or not everyone is going to abandon ship.

Also I think Claes did the GUI's for Short Circuit and Surge, and they look exactly like BitWig.

since this thing is supposed to be running on Linux too, i'm interested to find out how they're going to get around the whole VST issue. since, as far as i know, VST support on Linux is via WINE. and that isn't good.

running some native linux vst's here, works fine.. probably the next spec LV2 plugins are going to be nicer.

ahh yes, native VSTs... the majority of which are absolutely dire examples of design due to the fact that they're designed by coders, not designers. a problem that afflicts many programs and applications built for Linux based operating systems.

running some native linux vst's here, works fine.. probably the next spec LV2 plugins are going to be nicer.

ahh yes, native VSTs... the majority of which are absolutely dire examples of design due to the fact that they're designed by coders, not designers. a problem that afflicts many programs and applications built for Linux based operating systems.

I don't need a million plugs, just a few that do the job.. I'm running Loomer Aspect and some Togu Audio Line plugs. They work great, no difference from Windows.

I'd love to collaborate on a plugin with a developer. Do you guys know where I could hook up with any? I'm a UI designer.

hey, you should ask here on KVR Audio

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=33

that's a really active plugin dev forum.

I don't need a million plugs, just a few that do the job.. I'm running Loomer Aspect and some Togu Audio Line plugs. They work great, no difference from Windows.

those are very well designed VSTs, something which (in my experience) is very rare amongst the native Linux ones.

so my point still stands.

Archived