IGNORED

Bitwig

Guest RadarJammer

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

running some native linux vst's here, works fine.. probably the next spec LV2 plugins are going to be nicer.

ahh yes, native VSTs... the majority of which are absolutely dire examples of design due to the fact that they're designed by coders, not designers. a problem that afflicts many programs and applications built for Linux based operating systems.

I don't need a million plugs, just a few that do the job.. I'm running Loomer Aspect and some Togu Audio Line plugs. They work great, no difference from Windows.

those are very well designed VSTs, something which (in my experience) is very rare amongst the native Linux ones.

so my point still stands.

yeah I'm not arguing, just don't miss it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

A friend of mine who is into programming told me that they will never get away with this. Its much too close to live and looks like they took large bits of the original live code to build it. So I would be more surprised if it was actually released

Stinks like death.

News feed hasn't been updated since Jan. I have a feeling they got fubar'd by some legal shit from Ableton.

Last, well, relevant tweet from bitwig:

"We are adding new features that are delaying the public beta and working hard to make it even more awesome. Thanks for being patient!"

3:07 PM - 29 Mar 12 via web

http://twitter.com/Bitwig/status/185503443681677312

I think (hope) they're not dead yet. But I won't be surprised if they have some drama with Ableton.

I would have a wild guess:

ableton did send their lawyers and now they try to replace the stolen code only to find out that you can't replace something that has been developed over many years in 2 month. At the same time bugs increase significantly and its far from stable, costs rise, funding runs dry and some of the employees leave the sinking ship while early adopters start to ask questions

Guest Drahken

I had heard Henke mentioned he didn't mind and that the competition was good at a conference back in March.

The last rumor I heard on the subject though was that Bitwig had run low on funding and couldn't muster the capital needed to move forward towards a release. I'd imagine with all this talk about them being in Ableton's cross hairs a lot of investors are uncomfortable stepping up.

The last rumor I heard on the subject though was that Bitwig had run low on funding and couldn't muster the capital needed to move forward towards a release. I'd imagine with all this talk about them being in Ableton's cross hairs a lot of investors are uncomfortable stepping up.

This makes a lot more sense to me. Ableton is doing rather well anyway, right? Why would they want to spend the effort squashing a newcomer? Have they been involved in similar lawsuits in the past?

I had heard Henke mentioned he didn't mind and that the competition was good at a conference back in March.

competition and obviously stealing code are two different things. I mean look at the screenshots they took large bits of abletons ui added a slightly modified skin and moved them a bit up or down.

Its been a long time waiting for Ableton 9 as well. They could be waiting to see what card eachother plays.

I haven't worked with Live much at all (installed the lite version that came w/ my padKontrol and uninstalled it a couple days later), but it looks as much like Renoise or Reaktor as Ableton to me.

competition and obviously stealing code are two different things. I mean look at the screenshots they took large bits of abletons ui added a slightly modified skin and moved them a bit up or down.

stealing code and having a slightly similar UI are two completely different things too...

The look is more like that of ableton meets reaper, fl and lil bit of renoise. I love the idea of not pressing tab or record a sequence just to put it into song mode, native modular system while (it seems) still maintaining an ableton like work-flow.

I want this company to do well, I think if they do well it'll show ableton needs to step their shit up with customer service, bug-fixing and updates. No wonder people pirate the software when the 900$ suite bugs out on so many things with NO help from the company to fix said bugs or answer questions. Go bitwig!

Ahh, so it's not vapourware! 11 hours ago:

The first round of beta testing will be starting in the next few weeks. We expect the middle of next month. Sorry again for the delays.

https://www.facebook.com/bitwig

3D Realms kept up a similar schtick for about hmmm 13 years...

Sorry, I won't believe this until I see widespread reports of people actually getting hold of the beta.

Anyone who has ever written software knows the integration phase can be unpredictable bullshit. It can last for months or years. Doesn't have anything to do with its non existance, it more or less has to do with the quality of the QA process.

Anyone who has ever written software knows the integration phase can be unpredictable bullshit. It can last for months or years. Doesn't have anything to do with its non existance, it more or less has to do with the quality of the QA process.

In which case, the software house shouldn't have announced their product so early.

It was the downfall of 3D Realms, it is a thorn in Valve's side, and Gearbox have come a cropper with it too.

All it does is create the same bollocks that has happened with the forever forthcoming BoC album, and of course, Bitwig.

Joyrex is fucking right about BoC - they don't owe us anything, they don't owe us any news. If the radio silence had been enforced, then the cynicism wouldn't be so rife.

If Bitwig hadn't announced this 6 months before even a private beta was ready, then there wouldn't be any of this shite.

It also doesn't bode well that www.bitwig.com is dead right now.

I'll agree with you that it was announced a bit early. They should have announced it when the beta was ready.

I think it's right hard to time things like that. Hype is great. We have a thread here talking about it. I was checking the page once a week when I first heard about it. That kind of non-delivered hype is good for about 2 weeks. Then people get bored + cynical if you don't produce. They could have announced it early, but not so early as they did.

Archived