IGNORED

What TV series are you watching at moment?

Npoess

Binge watching Fargo, question: how the hell can they find the suitcase of money in 1987, when the movie took place the same year? Yeah those buried suitcases are just so easy to find out in the middle of frozen nowhere!

Binge watched Orange is the New Black Season 4 - SO much better than the previous season. The various plots going on work well together and interact when needed, but it all felt like it was going somewhere, culminating in the finale. The representation of social issues range from fairly interesting to as subtle as a brick to the face though... I mean, the neo-nazis act like they fell out of a Saturday morning cartoon for adults, but the finale shows something we've seen far too often in the news recently with no easy answers.

Also bloody season cliffhanger endings.

Edited by WeAreOceans

it's a fucking awful show when it comes to artistic and dramatic qualities. the plotlines (those flashbacks especially), the dialogues and most of the characters are just cartoons, the acting is mostly terrible (that black "camp" probably made me more racist than i thought i was). but nevertheless it's important in its portrayal of how the contemporary american prison works, the effects of the privatizations and the interaction of the many various elements like management, guards, inmates and non human actors as well. in that regard it seems like it's well researched. and as blunt and stupid as it is, its portrayal of specifically female gender issues is probably important as well in the long run, it does go to places i never saw other media things go.

i watch it every night with your son.

The preacher has been kind of meh these last two episodes, maybe my expectations are too high...

Penny Dreadful was really done a disservice by Showtime this season. It sounds like it was originally planned as a 3 season arc, then Showtime was impressed with the quality and following it was gaining, so planned an additional 1-2 seasons, only to do a complete 180 when the Season 3 ratings didn't measure up, forcing the producers to try to wrap the entire series up in 3 episodes, and a tacked on THE END. Some character storylines were curtailed or completely dropped/left hanging; Dr Jekyll was a wasted opportunity, Vanessa's turn seemed to come out of nowhere and was unsatisfying, Dorian's story went nowhere, the references to Egypt and Tut were dropped, Victor Frankenstein's arc seemed to shit the bed as well. Eh, that's TV.

farewell Penny Dreadful, you had real potential

The preacher has been kind of meh these last two episodes, maybe my expectations are too high...

The 3rd episode was like this for me. But, the last one I was entertained by. Thought it was pretty funny throughout & really enjoyed the cold open. But, I should qualify this as Cassidy & Tulip's scenes are more enjoyable then Jesse's still.

Yes! I mean, it's still good and fairly entertaining, but I'm not shitting my pants and giggling hysterically like I was at first. I feel like they've played all the cards and it's starting to turn predictable. The scenes with the preacher often fall flat. Actor guy just looks bored out of his mind. Hopefully I'm wrong, haven't read the comic books.

Edited by Gocab

Preacher dulls me but I've only seen 2 episodes. I liked the opening space scene in the first ep though.

For new shows it's BrainDead and Outcast for me. Also like the show Hunters. Nothing too great though, just has interesting aspects

yeh, feel the same about preacher...

it felt very cool and fast paced at the beginning, but now that it's settling in, begins showing its true colors..

you can literally hear the concept being stretched thin and we're only 4 episodes into it.

preachy preacher gonna preach in boringtown. things happen, but we can't have too many things happen innit. coincidental typical series filler bs ensues. meh.

also Silicon Valley: seems they are running out of ideas.? not feeling it at all rn, used to be lots of lols but it's like all the characters just are sticking to their well established sort of one-two liners over and over and over again, and the plot is super boring as well so....

people rave about the wire but its just ok. kind of a bad acting contest with thin to cringey wrtiing. just decent enough for me to throw away hours of my life with.

There is some fucking horrible acting in the wire. So bad. And it's not from the Baltimore locals either.

I could never get over the idea that a hardboiled beat journalist like David Simon understood the nuances of a black lesbian relationship... Like obviously not.

Lance riddick is fucking horrific- "I'm just trying to do my damn job" level shit. Pathetic.

Generally I think the show is massively overrated - waaaaaay too many writing tropes shoved in from "screen writing 101" and nothing even approaching dr melfis rape episode from sopranos. That one comes out of the blue and just hits you and manages to not seem cloying or heavy handed

you dont even have to go that far. curb your enthusiasm is more innovative and interesting than the wire. their use of outlines instead of scripts is kind of revolutionary, and they explore more about society by far.

lol leave it to watmm to shit on anything generally beloved. Not disagreeing tho, I've only seen the first few eps of the wire and it didn't do much for me. People kept saying to keep watching, it would get better. Saving it for a rainy day.

Been watching through Deadwood, enjoying it. Reminds me of The Knick, historical fiction done right. Shining light on the darker side of the American past, with a big cast of complex, endearing characters. I like the Knick better overall though, that show was incredible.

Guest Morphy

The wire was great at the time but it's way past its expiration date for rewatchability. I've maybe watched through curb 4 times and rate it as the most rewatchable of the 4:3 aspect ratio era. In the past 5 years or so I've noticed an explosion in high quality/concept TV but they somehow feel more empty and disposable than ever. Stargate SG-1 and Sliders may not hold up that much now but the feelings and connections in those groups was palpable. The mood shift between season 2 and 3 of deadwood exemplifies this for me, Maybe the off-set backstage atmosphere in hollywood has become less chummy and more competitive, like the behind the scene drama between two actresses in The Good Wife seems to illustrate. They had to green screen their scenes together.

Watched both seasons of Fargo, liked it but a few questions linger:

Season 1 - what was Malvo's plan to duct tape the personal trainer to a shotgun and call the police there with gunshots, I take it he was causing a diversion but for what purpose, to ensure the roads were clear so he could escape town? He also seemed to give up pretty easily on getting his $1 million in blackmail money, I know he was ambushed by the two hit men, but he had no idea what went on with the Grocery King and his religious revelation.

Season 2 - what exactly were the authorities going to charge Peggy with after her capture? She hit and run a member of a crime family who had just murdered 3 people including a state judge. I find it hard to believe another judge would throw the book at her after losing one of their own violently like that. Otherwise, it was all self defense, she crushed that one guy's head in the basement with a sink basin, but he was armed and trying to kill her. Justifiable.

And the UFO. I'm interpreting that as the creators of the show saying there are multiple higher powers out there, religious and alien beyond our understanding.

Looking forward to Season 3, I'm guessing they'll go with the 90s to fill in the timeline? Maybe we could even see Frances McDormand, as her character would probly not have retired by then, maybe. Or if it gets a 4th season, do a recent storyline set in this decade.