IGNORED

What TV series are you watching at moment?

Npoess

planet earth 2 - watched only the first ep so far, but i thought it's just really dumb and pointless tbh. the incessant anthropomorphization of animals and dramatization of their actions, as if they have some actual thought processes and emotions and aren't just essentially dumb and have basically four things to do in all of their lives (eat, don't get eaten, fuck, raise offsprings), gets annoying pretty quick. i mean it's kinda childish really, as if its aimed at creationists or someone like that who believe in some sort of purpose behind nature and can appreciate it on its own right without the human element. after all, nature is just mostly pointless dirt and death with some lush shots here and there, what's the big deal really? in a few decades people will be engineering all kinds of weird animals themselves, so what's the point of fetishing what just randomly came into existence?

reflecting on those thoughts, it's kinda funny that i really liked nature docs in my childhood, watching them with mom a lot, dunno why i got so jaded in that regard. maybe it's somehow related to relationship with my mother and not to actual rationalization i mentioned? will probably have to consult limpyloo in psychology thread.

Edited by eugene

feel the same way about animal anthropomorphization, it's annoying AF..

Whoever produced this probably thought it's a good idea to use this shit to increase empathy in the viewers' minds. Which is fully misguided. They do have these very lush shots, would be enough to let these just speak for themselves. It's been done in the past, it's called "decent documentary"

Taboo - Peaky Blinders meets Dickens meets early 19thC stereotypes with a sprinkle of Heart of Darkness

looks respectable, set design wise, although Tom Hardy hams it oop in nearly every scene

(and dint the wardrobe folks look @ his hat n think "naaaaaah"?)

of course ep2 will be watched

Taboo - Peaky Blinders meets Dickens meets early 19thC stereotypes with a sprinkle of Heart of Darkness

looks respectable, set design wise, although Tom Hardy hams it oop in nearly every scene

(and dint the wardrobe folks look @ his hat n think "naaaaaah"?)

of course ep2 will be watched

Pretty much with you. The show has production & seems to be competent... but it still feels flat. However, had just enough of "where is this going" to interest me for another tune in.

Also been watching X-File episodes syndicated over here in the states. Been thoroughly enjoying. Warm feels and fuzzy memories abound.

Just saw the episode "War of the Coprophages", one I don't remember from my youth, but twas amazing. A Darin Morgan episode. 

planet earth 2 - watched only the first ep so far, but i thought it's just really dumb and pointless tbh. the incessant anthropomorphization of animals and dramatization of their actions, as if they have some actual thought processes and emotions and aren't just essentially dumb and have basically four things to do in all of their lives (eat, don't get eaten, fuck, raise offsprings), gets annoying pretty quick. i mean it's kinda childish really, as if its aimed at creationists or someone like that who believe in some sort of purpose behind nature and can appreciate it on its own right without the human element. after all, nature is just mostly pointless dirt and death with some lush shots here and there, what's the big deal really? in a few decades people will be engineering all kinds of weird animals themselves, so what's the point of fetishing what just randomly came into existence?

reflecting on those thoughts, it's kinda funny that i really liked nature docs in my childhood, watching them with mom a lot, dunno why i got so jaded in that regard. maybe it's somehow related to relationship with my mother and not to actual rationalization i mentioned? will probably have to consult limpyloo in psychology thread.

interesting to hear this viewpoint. i've been dying to watch this but i think it premieres on bbc america later this month (?). btw not sure with your assessment that animals "aren't just essentially dumb and have basically four things to do in all of their lives". there was a recent study that concluded that even chickens are more intelligent than previously thought eg. they can discriminate betwix numbers, have complex ability of referential communication and can even preserve time intervals. 

fk

there's just too much stuff coming up

Fargo

twin peks

GoT

Rick/Morty

Better Saul

all in a similar timeframe

forgotten something?

3%

it was alright, watched with dubs which really puts you out of it and I think some stuff is lost in translation as a lot of the writing was hammy. it's quite old school style dystopian sci-fi, reminded me a lot of We (but this is probably because everything looks so sterile and weird in the testing building, which is odd since I imagine you'd have lots of admin and technicians walking around setting this stuff up??), but also has the "young adult novel about dystopian chosen one" hangover of the past few years.

There are way too many shows, agreed. 

Incorporated, Colony, Timeless and Shooter would be my list. I try to follow agents of shield but i cant help but skip episodes because it just doesn't have that 'zing' all the time. Still entertaining though

Edited by coax

The latest season of Sherlock was a load of old bollox. The 2nd episode was somewhat watchable, but the other two were utter nonsense. It's become a parody of itself at this point. It's really badly directed as well, and visually awful.

watched first two episodes of Taboo.

dunno tbh. Good sets and actors for sure and I like Tom Hardy but this is 105% just him being some kind of dark hero type and not sure if that is very interesting.

Watched first season of Parks and Recreation. I fucking hate Poehler after her standup perpetuating the jewish-Hollywood bullshit that men are supposed to be circumcised, and at first glance it looked like a total ripoff of the Office. A proper recipe for me to hate it.. but it's pretty fucking funny. A lot of laugh-out-loud moments and short episode times makes it great for binging.

watched first two episodes of Taboo.

dunno tbh. Good sets and actors for sure and I like Tom Hardy but this is 105% just him being some kind of dark hero type and not sure if that is very interesting.

Watched the 2nd episode last night. It's a slog, but I'm compelled to watch next week. I have to admit I like the cheesy string swell theme that pops up during the show. And how did F/X get the rights to say "Fuck"  a bunch of times without the FCC coming down on them?

Watched first season of Parks and Recreation. I fucking hate Poehler after her standup perpetuating the jewish-Hollywood bullshit that men are supposed to be circumcised, and at first glance it looked like a total ripoff of the Office. A proper recipe for me to hate it.. but it's pretty fucking funny. A lot of laugh-out-loud moments and short episode times makes it great for binging.

The show gets better as it goes along. Nick Offerman is the shit.