IGNORED

Is Steinvord a pseudonym of Tom Jenkinson?

SQUIDLID

Production wise is good. Looks like people are making reviews out of bad vinyl rips.

I would say tho, it's not better/worse than AFX/Pusher, it has a different sound to it. But everything is there sitting on it's right place, I have nothing to complain about it.

Composition wise: Again, the more I listen to this the less it sounds like AFX/Pusher. Sure yiff acid and Maelstrom have AFX/Pusher moments, but tracks like ontrackv2, Backyard and Cyg x-1 simply aren't AFX/Pusher style. Ontrackv2 sounds too much like a proper dnb track (really fast and with some more complex edits here and there), the beat is pretty steady for most of the track. Backyard is a 4 minute track with a huge subbass and nicely layered ambient tones. This could very well be called something like early Photek on steroids if comparing it to something makes you happy. Cyg x-1, I can't compare it to anything else really. It's probably my fav at the moment.

So again, I would rather listen to Animal Collective while I watch Impakt post pizzas (not really), than discussing who the hell did this. It's a great record, with very good replay value, greatly welcomed given what the electronic music trends are like nowadays, and for the fact that most people have failed when trying to pull something like this. Plus it has a sound of it's own (buried inside all the conspiracy theories that people have created).

I agree, I've got no complaints about the production quality myself. Only point of contention for me with your post above is in regards to Ontrackv2. It's much like what Tom played at his warp20 set IMO.

If I were to write the rest of my thoughts on it, it's pretty much verbatim what you've written. Nice post.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steinvord is a portmanteau of an Aphex Twin and a Squarepusher track, many tracks sound like outtakes of Go Plastic and Drukqs but never reach the same level as they do. To deny it's influence and try to spin Steinvord as something original... I don't know what to think of that.

don't know but it's certainly better than SP's recent output.

I listened to drukqs the other day to get myself a drill fix but it turns many of the tracks haven't aged that well.

drunk-woman.jpg

excellent point...

:dry:

Steinvord is a portmanteau of an Aphex Twin and a Squarepusher track, many tracks sound like outtakes of Go Plastic and Drukqs but never reach the same level as they do. To deny it's influence and try to spin Steinvord as something original... I don't know what to think of that.

exactly

Guest rotchnock

Some of the tracks simply have different vibes compared to AFX/SP's work. I generally agree, but it would be as stupid trying to reduce the whole thing to "outtakes". No one is denying AFX/SP influences tho.

if its the work of Tom Jenkinson it sounds like unreleased outtakes from the Go Plastic era that are sub par, maybe Tom might put them out on a fake moniker because they aren't releasable under his own name because they lack in that certain creative 2000-2004 era Squarepusher spark? If this isn't tom or aphex, it's a shame that this person's debut is ripping them off so 'perfectly' in the sense that to recreate these styles in such a paint by numbers way is not easy (its borderline autistic to make such a perfection recreation in some ways but none of the forward thinking musical attitude of either artist), it takes a lot of work. If Steinvord is not related to those guys in any way id love to see what kind of music he/she/them make when they have their own voice.

edit: just finished listening to the vinly copy btw, so this isn't a case of 'bad vinyl rips' or myspace tracks.

I like it, whoever it is. If it's outakes, that's cool, if it's some new teen (well he wouldn't be anymore), than that's cool too. I've been caning these tracks for years now though. I was really hoping for more new tracks on the EP. This sort of style is my favorite sort of music period. I can't make it myself, but it always seems to do the most for me, because I like mentalness, but I like shakin my fucking ass as well.

didn't steinvord play live @ any recent rephlex shows so anyone could confirm him being sp?

no

If it isn't :squarepusher_logo: it is a tribute to him as there are massive references to his music hidden in the tracks.

exactly. if it's not squarepusher, then it's the best imitation of his sound to date. it's dead on. i don't know anyone else that makes tracks like this.

Can't see why TJ would go for an alias on rephlex when he could use "Chaos AD" moniker if its a warp-contract issue.

Plus i don;t think that its in his modis operendi to be all secretive. ~He coems accross ad pretty proud of the "squarepusher" thing.

I suspect its just some young buck doing some home produced stuff that rephlex reckons is good enough for an offical release.

It does sound a bit squarepusher to me too but the thing that always got me about squarepusher is that his stuff is often slow burn act of genios..... not an immediate "wow thats amazing" on first listen...

anyway, Squarepusher brewing up for some back-to-form acid techno judging by the latest unreleased tracks, his new tour, the recent interviews etc.

Time will tell and either way... its all tastey!

Can't see why TJ would go for an alias on rephlex when he could use "Chaos AD" moniker if its a warp-contract issue.

Plus i don;t think that its in his modis operendi to be all secretive. ~He coems accross ad pretty proud of the "squarepusher" thing.

I suspect its just some young buck doing some home produced stuff that rephlex reckons is good enough for an offical release.

It does sound a bit squarepusher to me too but the thing that always got me about squarepusher is that his stuff is often slow burn act of genios..... not an immediate "wow thats amazing" on first listen...

anyway, Squarepusher brewing up for some back-to-form acid techno judging by the latest unreleased tracks, his new tour, the recent interviews etc.

Time will tell and either way... its all tastey!

"

anyway, Squarepusher brewing up for some back-to-form acid techno judging by the latest unreleased tracks, his new tour, the recent interviews etc."

Ahh yeah, it's called Steinvord.

I'm really happy with steinvord, it's an excellent ep, really top notch.

I'm not too fussed who it is, but it's fun to speculate.

Agreed. I kind of hope its some new guy to be honest. Would love to add another mind bending artist to my playlist lol

Check out these two unreleased SP tracks (they're not from the Warp20 set), I think Squarepusher style is one of the easiest to tell, specially when it comes to acid lines.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/zyk6x1bgj4em1eh/SQ.mp3

Now compare to the acid tracks in the Steinvord EP, they're miles apart.

So Gilbert Gottfried walks into a bar and sees Squarepusher depressed drinking whiskey, he asks SP "ARE YOU STEINVORD???", SP looks at him with anger and tells him "ARE YOU THE PARROT IN ALLADIN??, confused Gilbert Gottfried answers "YES I WAS, BUT WHAT DOES THAT HAVE HAVE TO DO WITH ANYTHING?, SP laughing answers "AFLAC".

Gilbert Gottfried leaves the bar confused and finds Skrillex doing meth in an allley. There is no point to this.

So Gilbert Gottfried walks into a bar and sees Squarepusher depressed drinking whiskey, he asks SP "ARE YOU STEINVORD???", SP looks at him with anger and tells him "ARE YOU THE PARROT IN ALLADIN??, confused Gilbert Gottfried answers "YES I WAS, BUT WHAT DOES THAT HAVE HAVE TO DO WITH ANYTHING?, SP laughing answers "AFLAC".

Gilbert Gottfried leaves the bar confused and finds Skrillex doing meth in an allley. There is no point to this.

:cisfor:

brilliant.. lol

Archived