For those of you who hate juke & footwork

Polymershapes

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You must all remember this...

video

So do anyone out there actually listen to this voluntarily?

I do. The whole EP is something else, honestly. If footwork were on this level, i would be a fan, but there's not a single release like this, including other DJ Nate. Doubled with it being the debut of genre outside Chi-raq, i was blown away.

Yo I've heard lots of claim that jukin originated here in Memphis, that footwork biz though....fuckin dancin for rocks

There seems to be a lot of crossover and variations of the same core ideas but basically I've read:

Chicago - house music >>> ghetto house/booty house >>> juke house (150-160bpm) >>> footwork

Detroit - techno >>> ghettotech/detroit booty music (145-170 bpm) >>> jit dancing (similar to juke)

Miami - electro >>> Miami bass/ booty bass >>> Florida breaks/car audio bass (part of the car subwoofer "bass culture) and freestyle and baile funk in greater US and Brazil respectively

The key to all of this is that they all "cross-pollinated" because these are all DJ based genres, so they were all influenced by the same records and had similar goals in speeding up tempos and relying on 808s and 909s, repeated patterns, etc and well, shaking ass. Note that literally the most common genre descripter is "booty." For instance everyone in all of these scenes cite the same precursor tracks like this one by Cajmere:

http://youtu.be/yVTvzqIHiNk

No one can really claim being the original scene, they all were formed at the same time using and incorporating the same core elements. That's a large part of why it's so interesting imo.

http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature.aspx?1235

http://fryinginvein.com/miami-bass-detroit-booty-jit-chicago-juke-whats-the-difference/

Juke and footwork are actually pretty much the antithesis of thug and gang culture in Chicago. The battles take place in YMCAs and community facilities, the DJs and producers focus on the music and the gigs. Traxman and Araabmuzik have also been injured in robberies. Juke and footwork producers have fallen victim to crime, not participate in it.

The alleged robber in the DJ Nate video is some shitty rapper from Chicago, at best loosely affiliated with Gucci Mane, who has been in and out of jail and has a fucking ice cream tattoo on his face. He isn't signed, hasn't recorded shit, and beyond some crappy youtube videos doesn't really have any music credited to him at all. Apparently DJ Nate has switched from juke to hip-hop and R&B and that probably has more to do (if at all) with him getting robbed. That certainly doesn't mean he deserved to be assaulted.

In other words, juke and footwork has nothing to do with the high crime and murder rates of Chicago, which has been a problem for decades, not just in the last couple of years. That city has been riddled with corruption and greed in it's government which has in turn neglected it's extremely broken and violent neighborhoods.

still can't tell the difference between this and my mate's 7 year old twins clicking on random buttons on fruity loops at the same time

lol, my thoughts. if i had to guess the producer's age i would be hesitant to use double digits.

some of these tracks have a decent groove, but it's all so flat and bland to my ears.

still can't tell the difference between this and my mate's 7 year old twins clicking on random buttons on fruity loops at the same time

lol, my thoughts. if i had to guess the producer's age i would be hesitant to use double digits.

some of these tracks have a decent groove, but it's all so flat and bland to my ears.

that was part of the appeal for me originally; it's like a teenage punk band who can't play their guitars, just bashing stuff out without regard for sound quality or best practices... it can be refreshing to hear things 'wrong'

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Juke is a thing in Japan now:

Not surprising. I recall a comment from a Tokyo guy on RP Boo interview on some obscure blog years ago that he studied all his beats for years and was hoping to become better than him. Music in this clip is of higher standard than most Chicago routine, i smelled it before i checked credits

Juke is a thing in Japan now:

Not surprising. I recall a comment from a Tokyo guy on RP Boo interview on some obscure blog years ago that he studied all his beats for years and was hoping to become better than him. Music in this clip is of higher standard than most Chicago routine, i smelled it before i checked credits

that music is Not of a higher standard

you clearly don't get it

anyhow it's quite humorous seeing the completely different context for the footworking in japan...the audience all cheerfully and orderly clapping, lol, some of the chicago videos have people throwing down bets and counting cash and threatening people and shit. lol

Archived