IGNORED

Selling the own stuff on boomkat- how?

I have a own small label and want to sell some stuff on boomkat. I know they are very selective in stuff they present but maybe somebody can give me some helpful tips how to get into the sale system.

I will also try to contact them apart from this thread- and share my experiences with the other users as well here.

Maybe this is something for all users with a own label- or some have made experiences with boomkat and would like to tell about it.

Guest Gary C

I don't know, but I'd guess that you should probably have a blog/website/socialmediapage and some evidence of how popular it/them/you are.

Maybe a mailing list too.

Essentially, I think they need to know whether you have a paying audience or not.

Mosca (the mosca on here rather than the recently much publicized one ...) has had some stuff released on Boomkat - http://boomkat.com/c...s-carnivalesque so maybe a good person to talk to.

I'd like to know myself - I was hoping to release a limited 3-inch CD release of au on there a couple of years ago and sent a fully printed release copy to them with cover note + contact details but didn't hear a thing back.

Guest Lucy Faringold

Seems like they favour labels that are already known in their field and have a few releases behind them already. It seems pretty rare that I see stuff on there from labels I've never heard of. I have no idea how it works in real life though. Good luck! :smile:

There are a couple ways I know of...

Get a digital distributor, who will also have to make a deal with boomkat separately since they are so selective (unlike itunes which is automatic), but it might be easier through such a distributor? Someone like http://www.ingrooves.com/

Second method I've tried myself, I sent them music and they replied saying they would check it out and see if they liked it, but they never actually downloaded anything so it never came through. But worth a shot I guess.

Mosca (the mosca on here rather than the recently much publicized one ...) has had some stuff released on Boomkat - http://boomkat.com/c...s-carnivalesque so maybe a good person to talk to.

isn't that ism and gump's ep??

Oops, got the wrong person in the group of Northen' folk ... :emb:

I'd like to know myself - I was hoping to release a limited 3-inch CD release of au on there a couple of years ago and sent a fully printed release copy to them with cover note + contact details but didn't hear a thing back.

Get a digital distributor, who will also have to make a deal with boomkat separately since they are so selective (unlike itunes which is automatic), but it might be easier through such a distributor? Someone like http://www.ingrooves.com/

Second method I've tried myself, I sent them music and they replied saying they would check it out and see if they liked it, but they never actually downloaded anything so it never came through. But worth a shot I guess.

Okay, let's make it short for all:

First you should be aware of the fact that they give no response to your stuff;

you should also have a digital distributor to get a deal with them separately;

A knowledge of how many people pay for your stuff is also necessary.

That's really selective. I don't think they sell all they got offered but this is really a lot work.

My own experiences so far:

Writing an email to the person who claims to be responsible for all new offers and selling stuff. First response interested and with the sentence they would send me some more information. About three weeks later I sent a second mail asking for some information how they make a deal but no answer. Waited 2 more weeks patiently, writing again- no response.

They have a clever and nice system but the service seems to be really annoying.

Anyway- I will try one more time!

Thanks for all the informations so far. Would be great if member like @awepittance or who have experience with label work can tell a bit. If you mean that would be to private to discuss, just send me a PM. Seems that some more people are interested how "boomkat works".

boomkat has only picked up one physical release from my label, and it was a a huge amount of effort and frustration to try and contact them about why they weren't restocking it.

when they finally responded (not to me, but to the artist when he emailed them months later) they said that the reason they didn't stock it is because Cargo didn't have anymore, turns out the Boomkat guys just didn't check in over 2 months since Cargo got the restock.

If its this hard for someone with an already existing product to get contact back from them, i can only imagine how difficult it would be if you're an artist trying to get them to pick up your stuff.

if it was as simple as what Lucy said, that would be tops. but they arent that simple.

edit: from what i've seen persistence is the key, unless you have a strong amount of buzz building behind you or you already know people who work for Boomkat, the only thing you can do is be persistent until you get a response. Until someone actually says 'no' to you flat out, it's not going to hurt to try continuously.

boomkat has only picked up one physical release from my label, and it was a a huge amount of effort and frustration to try and contact them about why they weren't restocking it.

when they finally responded (not to me, but to the artist when he emailed them months later) they said that the reason they didn't stock it is because Cargo didn't have anymore, turns out the Boomkat guys just didn't check in over 2 months since Cargo got the restock.

If its this hard for someone with an already existing product to get contact back from them, i can only imagine how difficult it would be if you're an artist trying to get them to pick up your stuff.

if it was as simple as what Lucy said, that would be tops. but they arent that simple.

edit: from what i've seen persistence is the key, unless you have a strong amount of buzz building behind you or you already know people who work for Boomkat, the only thing you can do is be persistent until you get a response. Until someone actually says 'no' to you flat out, it's not going to hurt to try continuously.

Hmmm, persistence as a way to get their attention (and enter their shop platform) is not the problem. Maybe I should try and try as you said until the definite "NO!".

I can understand what that means if you already know people in business. A friend of mine in Bremen stocks also my records in his mailorder after we got closer because I ordered a lot from him the years ago. He was on one of my concerts too and after it he asked me for music he can get from me for his shop. If it would be so easy every time…

But back to topic.

As xxx said, I maybe should create a fancy concept but this is something I normally try to avoid. I do not have a Thom York_ish sound flavour on the record so it would be difficult to write that in the concept. But a fake story would be great. Seems that almost 10 % of musicians make this step to sell their stuff.

• 3 years later...

This was an interesting topic. I'm looking to get my stuff on Boomkat, too. Not looking to switch distributors though - just made a commitment to CDBaby that's not gonna go away.

thorsten, i forgot to put out the offer which i am happy to do by suggesting you to put your digital releases (i cant promise anything with boomkat and physical) as a sub-imprint to RecordLabelRecords. Usually the stuff i put through my digital distro gets to Boomkat automatically and they don't care if i called the label 'RecordLabelRecords' or 'I have erectile dysfunction' etc, so if you want to do it under your own label names thats possible to

Archived