IGNORED

Sean talks on technology at The Simply Superior podcast

Guest 2062

Guest sirch

I would listen to this, if i could be fucked to download iTunes onto this PC.

is it good, tho, really?

somebody stick it on youtube, or summink...........??

I posted the mp3 of it on page 1 innit

oh shit! i didn't see that. thanks Pete.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest sirch

It is good. But I have enjoyed just about every interview with Sean; I find he consistently has insightful stuff to say. So take my opinion with a grain of salt: I am biased.

no, you're right. he is interesting to listen to.

that was really cool & interesting. the funny bit is that Ae & H3O just released that DVD thing which is totally abstract (well you can argue that music is abstract by definition but) while having a great chat about well Iceland, formats & programming.

funny that they dont really dig CDs, i love vinyls but i just love the CD format, i cant say the plastic boxes are nice but at least (vs digipack) they have a longer life & loads of digital (electronic) music sounds perfect on it.

Don't understand what's wrong with CDs...really. Yes, the vinyl sleeves are better but the 'correctness' of the sound is inferior in comparison with CDs and I just can't stand to watch degradation of the vinyl with every listening. I'm to anal for that.

Ups...War?!

I think they (mainly Sean) were saying they disliked the actual physical aesthetic of the compact disc rather than the technology/quality behind the format.

So when he says he's spent a year programming, what do you think he means? Just creating sounds and small sequences? How far off a new album are we then? Another year maybe?

So when he says he's spent a year programming, what do you think he means? Just creating sounds and small sequences? How far off a new album are we then? Another year maybe?

well, if i remember correctly he said that he only "started making tracks again" rather recently

Guest disoriental express

Most likely he's been working on programs to further ae's status as Simply The Best; Around.

So when he says he's spent a year programming, what do you think he means?

SuperCollider or Csound or Max/MSP...? We can't be sure. But he mentioned something like ''quite...learning curve'' so I guess it's NOT the Max.

I wouldn't call Csound or Max/MSP "programming". The former, text-based patching, and the later, advanced graphical patching. SC is just barely programming. I don't think Sean would call these programming either.

Based on the conversation I think he is either talking about Objective C or Java.

I wouldn't call Csound or Max/MSP "programming".

Don't understand why not?!

Max is a graphical object oriented programming language.

Patching = Programming

Kinda sorta.

How do you do a for loop with a "graphical programming language"? Better yet, tell me how to you interpolate adjacent array values when using a phasor to read/write values from said array when the rate of the phasor is not such that it would be accurate to read or write only a single value to the array during each sample/processing cycle. I would sincerely love to know because this snag stopped my work on a Reaktor patch.

This kind of situation is the reason I don't consider Max/MSP, Reaktor, etc. real programming. There are problems you simply can't solve, problems that to me seem perfectly reasonable within the domain.

That is like saying that C++ and Delphi isn't programming.

LOL ok now you're being ridiculous.

Well I obviously disagree with you two, but I'm not gonna split hairs, I'm getting too old for this shit. It frustrated the hell out of me trying to do the above and it probably wouldn't be too much of a problem if they were real programming languages where I could run through a for loop between processing cycles (edit) SAMPLES . But they're not and I couldn't.

Archived