IGNORED

New Tool record end of year?

azatoth

I cant imagine what else Maynard could possibly have to say having said all the things he said on those other albums. Even a lot of his APC and Puscifier output covered the same ground. Let him make wine.

He has yet to bridge the two worlds together and write songs about making wine, and I think it needs to happen.

Tool vs. Broadrick would be INSANE though. Anything that guy touches instantly becomes 10x better.

you know it. speaking of which, I can't fucking wait for the new Godflesh to drop already. COME OOOOON

I cant imagine what else Maynard could possibly have to say having said all the things he said on those other albums. Even a lot of his APC and Puscifier output covered the same ground. Let him make wine.

He has yet to bridge the two worlds together and write songs about making wine, and I think it needs to happen.

I think Monsoons off Conditions of My Parole was a step towards this goal!

here's a good article on the recording of 10,000 days. there's some information on the mixing and mastering, too.

Once everyone was satisfied with the mixes, they flew to Portland, Maine, to master the project at Bob Ludwig's Gateway Mastering facility. Ludwig used the Pyramix Virtual Studio DAW and a state-of-the-art Sound Performance Laboratory analog console. Ludwig, Barresi and the band listened through 800-pound Eggleston Works Ivy Speakers that are actually seated down to bedrock.

Edited by very honest

that is a pretty good article. I much prefer the sound of aenina and lateralus to 10k days though. I thought I remembered they used an old mic that hitler had used though on 10,000 days.

• 4 weeks later...

lol, this thread title (from 2012) could be accurate in 2015

Keenan also spoke to Rolling Stone about the "very tedious process" of putting together Tool's next record. The follow-up to 2006's 10,000 Days is expected to come out next year, though Keenan mentioned that his bandmates, who typically write the music before sending it to him, have a tendency to constantly revise and nitpick. "In some ways, they are bigger perfectionists," he said. "But you can only help support their talent so long. They don't have to go through it 700 times. They can trust that first thought. But that's their process, so you gotta let them do it."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/tools-maynard-james-keenan-throwing-himself-a-50th-birthday-party-20131203

Edited by very honest

• 2 months later...

Some in depth info on why the album is delayed for so long:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/tool-explain-why-they-havent-put-out-a-new-album-since-2006-20140715

Initially, in 2007, a friend of Jones' claimed that he had created artwork for the group that he wanted credit. But the suit got complicated when an insurance company that Tool thought would defend it against lawsuits turned around and sued the band over technicalities regarding the case. The band then filed a countersuit to defend themselves against the insurer's claims and now, seven years later, Tool are still deeply mired in litigation with the insurer. The case is scheduled to go to trial in January.

"The whole thing is really depressing," Carey says. "The bad thing is it's really time consuming. As we've gotten older and our priorities have changed, it's hard to get the band on a good, solid schedule as it is. People have kids now. And there's lots of other things that pop up. To throw this into the mix, it makes everything that much worse and stresses people out."

"And it's costing millions and millions and millions of dollars to defend us," Jones adds. "And the fans are all going, 'We want a new Tool album. What the fuck?' And you don't want to pull people into your problems, because they don't understand.

but also

The good news for fans is that, through the turmoil, Tool's musical songwriting core Jones, Carey and bassist Justin Chancellor has been slowly writing music. By the drummer's estimation, the trio has "gotten through the toughest part of writing," which is coming up with the raw musical ideas for songs. From there, they piece the songs together, send them to vocalist Maynard James Keenan and begin to refine them. "It's time-consuming that way, but it has worked really well for us," Carey says of the group's creative process. "It gets stressful at times when outside influences are dragging you down rather than pushing you forward."

So far, the process has yielded one song that Jones describes as "pretty much done." Carey says the yet-untitled track is at least 10 minutes, in which it "goes through lots of changes and it's got really heavy elements."

We're getting there.... One track at a time.

"I'm hoping that we have something really solid recorded by the end of the year," Carey says. "But we'll see how it goes. I thought that last year, too." He laughs.

cheeky bastid

Damn, crazy to think the gap between 10,000 Days and now has been two years longer than the one between Lateralus and 10,000 Days (mostly because it demonstrates how much faster time moves as you get older... feels like 10,000 Days was about 5 years ago).

Some in depth info on why the album is delayed for so long:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/tool-explain-why-they-havent-put-out-a-new-album-since-2006-20140715

Initially, in 2007, a friend of Jones' claimed that he had created artwork for the group that he wanted credit. But the suit got complicated when an insurance company that Tool thought would defend it against lawsuits turned around and sued the band over technicalities regarding the case. The band then filed a countersuit to defend themselves against the insurer's claims and now, seven years later, Tool are still deeply mired in litigation with the insurer. The case is scheduled to go to trial in January.

'Merica. :facepalm:

We're getting there.... One track at a time.

"I'm hoping that we have something really solid recorded by the end of the year," Carey says. "But we'll see how it goes. I thought that last year, too." He laughs.

Jesus fucking christ. :facepalm:

This album has been held up so many times, it's getting ridiculous.... Adam Jones recently spoke to Metal Hammer about the process so far, and the lawsuit battle they've been caught up in lately...

http://metalhammer.teamrock.com/news/2014-07-25/tool-new-album-update

America is silly with all the litigiousness. The shit their insurance company thing is just so typical. You pay them for a service and when it's time to get some use for it they back out. Shameful. And of course the artist with the original lawsuit, what a douche.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...