IGNORED

Do you eat a lot of meat ?

Lucas

Hey,

I can't say I know a lot of things about how the thing is going on nowadays, but lately I tend to think a lot more about what I'm consuming and the impact it would have if everyone would consume that way.

More particularly, I decided to reduce the amount of meat I eat. A few months ago I've came back living at my parents' place for a moment, and it's hard to stuck to the limit I putted on myself (no more than twice a week ; that includes every meal that has even a little bit of meat in it). Indeed, my parents, as a lot of people I believe, eat meat almost everyday. As I don't want to bring trouble in the family way of life, I don't put too much stress on them concerning the amount of meat we eat (we spend all the diners together).

As I'm leaving soon and I know I'll go back to my habits after that, I don't make a big deal out of it.

Still, I don't feel it's right. Yesterday I saw a documentary about how meat is produced on a worldwide scale, and it brings my worries out again. We can't sanely eat meat everyday. It's not healthy for the environment, it's not healthy for some unprivileged populations, and it's not healthy for us.

The situation truly is terrible, and if we let it go further, it'll continue to evolve in a shitty way.

I don't think a lot of people realise that and I'd like to discuss it with you watmmers.

So who will dare to say I'm dramatising and viewing only the bad side of things ? Every other thoughts / knowledge on the matter is welcomed.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest disparaissant

i don't eat meat neither.

don't really miss it.

well i guess i miss convenience (would be nice to be able to get fast food that isn't subway) but i don't actually miss meat itself.

I haven't eaten meat in like five years.

I admire you for that. I don't think I would be able to sacrifice my taste of meat for that... So what are your reasons ?

cute little animals feel pain and they scream out when they are killed by humans. this is good reason not to eat them imo

Yeah, that is the first one we have to care about. Knowing how a slaughter house works is pretty painful.

I eat a lot of meat. About 1/3 to 1/2 of my diet consists of proteins, meat making up a large portion of that (versus meat alternatives).

I do this mostly because carbohydrates are not good for me (hard for me to digest). I realize there is an impact on the planet as a result of this. I work to offset my carbon footprint in other ways.

As to the morality of slaughterhouses and farmed food: not really on my priorities list right now. I do my best to reduce my carbon footprint though.

Don't eat much meat no. But i eat it regularly. Just have small portion sizes. As it's usually mixed with lots of stuff. More there for texture bonus or to elevate flavour.

Don't eat much meat no. But i eat it regularly. Just have small portion sizes. As it's usually mixed with lots of stuff. More there for texture bonus or to elevate flavour.

In general this is a great way to cut back meat intake (make stew/soup, stir fry, etc). I wish I could handle carbohydrates more and I would do this.

sometimes i'll eat a huge amount in one sitting. like i'll buy some steaks and eat them all. or go to BBQ and eat a few KGs of it. or get the MEAT CHALLENGE wrap from biblos.

pretty much vegetarian during the week, but i allow myself to go full caveman at the weekend. i blame sunday roast for this.

edit: and saturday night takeaways

First time in a long time that I totally agree with Troon. I stopped eating meat about 2 years ago, it's like quiting smoking, just a lot easier, (I quit smoking 3 years ago, though I was smoking only for two years) I thought I couldn't live without meat at first but then I discovered how awesome most of the vegetarian meals are. And now I don't eat not only because I'm against killing but because it's not tasty for me, like at all.

cute little animals feel pain and they scream out when they are killed by humans. this is good reason not to eat them imo

I find joy in their pain. Their suffering nourishes me even more than their innocent flesh.

Antape i think u have a sensible approach to meat. there is a section of vegetarians who are Self righteous vegitarianans who look down on meat eaters and feel smug. stuff.

i dont likethis.

I reckon i have meat 1nc or twice a week too as part of a main meal & ofcourse some animal derived products are included in ones day 2 day diet.

theres is a big diffrence betwween ethical, sustainable meats and unsustainable & inethical meat.

in britian every year dear are shot both for sport and for population controll. if done correctly thisis ok becuase there is no natural preditor here for the native dear anymore. and some invasive species ie monkjack cuase havok with local habitats.

Eating that meat is fine, the alternative would be to waste it and only the most stringent vegy could say that is the right thing to do.

however illegal poaching come into the fray, plus many people who shoot are far from pofesional in how they go about killing animals, often resulting in serious and painful injuryswhich take a long tome to kill.

One shoking thing i have seen walkinng in local woods is piles of dead pidgeons left to rot. where a hunting party has shot too many birds and just left them with no intention of eeting them.

there is also the issue non native species who are kept in the wild through carefull and often harmfull habitat controll for hunting.

now to fish. the sea is humans greatest resource and without it we simply couldn't feed the world, however i have seen first hand the effects overfishing cuases, and feel bad about eating many species of fish to the point i dont buy them.

farming next. this is the real crux of the tissue, it is easy to say if we stopped cattle farming and used thaat land for other food production we coud solve theworlds problems. but its not true, that would be a environmetal disaster. grazed land is a vital habital inevery country in the world.

battery farming is indefensible imo. i dont hold with it.

having saiid that i keep asking myself how r we going to feed the world of 7 billion.

thats inuf buy/

in britian every year dear are shot both for sport and for population controll. if done correctly thisis ok becuase there is no natural preditor here for the native dear anymore. and some invasive species ie monkjack cuase havok with local habitats.

Eating that meat is fine, the alternative would be to waste it and only the most stringent vegy could say that is the right thing to do.

Well, it's not. Killing is not the correct way of population control. There are too many humans in the world as well, and they're doing million times more damage to nature than those dear, is it right to kill them?

I haven't eaten meat in like five years.

I admire you for that. I don't think I would be able to sacrifice my taste of meat for that... So what are your reasons ?

Originally, I did it to lose weight, but I've also never liked the fact that we treat living things as a commodity. The industry itself also has a lot of environmental concerns.

i haven't eaten any meat over 10 years. though it's more of a habit by now than some sort of statement, it started out as this animal rights thing but yeah, blah, it's not that big of a deal, and i can't fucking stand people who gets all militant and in your face with their beliefs etc, even if i agree with them (like american atheists for example, or people who's been vegan for 5 weeks, or fucking bike activists). also, people who are vegan/vegetarian and can't laugh at crap like this:

2852662944_29e5398a30.jpg

Guest disparaissant

i agree with data

moralistic vegans are the worst

i mean i am practically vegan thanks to lactose intolerance but i dont ever want to claim i am because i have only ever known one vegan who wasn't an annoying racist piece of shit

i feel the same way about irritating atheists (not narrowing that one to american atheists because fucking richard dawkins and christopher hitchens)

but yeah

i don't eat meat because i just can't moralliy justify it to myself

don't have a problem with people who can

i just can't

that's all

Archived